Latics 3-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

Is anyone still doubting Tarky? Another good lesson for him today against Hughes and then a different type of player once Hughes was taken off. He is growing into a real pleasure to watch, such maturity for such a young lad.

Smith worked his socks off, him and Wes battled hard and showed how two defensive minded players can play in the middle. It needs the attacking flair to come from the wings and strikers and that front four did very well today. Montano had three of them on him at times, Dayton didn't always make the best use of the space this should have afforded him but when he did he scored a cracker.

Rooney needed those goals, that first was a beauty, been a while since we've had a diving header like that at BP.

Overall, that was a very entertaining way to spend an afternoon, a real ding dong 3rd division battle, they came to bully and intimidate and left with -2 goal difference. We are very much a work in progress but you get little spells where you can see what they are working on in the week and stroke it around like they've played together for years. Everyone stepped up today, the manager made some big calls, the team did their bit and the crowd, whilst not as vocal as we should have been didn't get on their backs when we were under the cosh in the first half.

Special mention too for Connor Brown, looked like he was harshly booked but he kept his cool, eventually, and didn't pick up the second card. He is an outlet on the right hand side going forward too. Shame he went off injured as he is decent cog in the rest of the team. Byrne also did well when he came on, he got the rust out of his system last time out and helped steady us at a time when the game was still in the balance.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent entertainment today, a credit to league one.

It's been a long time since I've seen us look so dangerous at home. Credit to Rooney today, he worked his socks off and took his goals well....I had been critical of him before today.

JCH ....what a prospect he looks, holds the ball superbly for one so young.....the best is yet to come from him.

All in all, a pleasure to watch today. With consistent performances we could be in for a terrific season.

This was my first and last game of the season (I'm leaving the country tomorrow), and it was bloody entertaining! JCH looked really good, strength and touch were excellent. Rooney worked his balls off and got his rewards, and Dayton's finish was beautiful. Montano put in some great balls in the first half and should've scored. Vale were unlucky and could have scored more, but that's football. Their pen deffo looked clear from the RRE, and I don't know what Grounds was thinking diving in there, Hughes was looking for it all day long. So glad he missed though! Oxley was pretty shakey first 10 mins and he looks too hesitant in the box, to be fair he made a couple of good says, but I think he'll cost us a few goals this season. Tarky was very good, as was Brown before he went off, and Byrne filled very well at RB considering he is clearly not a RB!

I can't comment on how we play with Baxter starting, but we looked a serious threat going forward today, so barring no injury problems the same starting line-up at Tranmere should be used. I've got a feeling someone from midfield will slot in at RB and Baxter will start though. (If Brown is out).

Overall I really enjoyed the game, and that is what football is all about. I didn't really know what to expect but now I'm glad I went and got to see what the Johnson hype was all about!

3-1 flattered us a bit when when we scored the third. It wasn't a great performance and on another day we could've lost that in truth.

Step in the right direction though. Plenty of positives and we've stopped the mini rot. A new team still finding their feet so it's a decent start to the season overall. Tranmere being on the end of a hiding today coukd go either way next week.

Thought we started slowly, and for the first few minutes I thought 'here we go again', we needed to up the ante. Wes and Korey gradually gained control in the middle, we brought our excellent wingers into the game and bit by bit JCH worked his way into the game and we began to dominate. First a disappointing flick from Adam, then a cracking turn and snapshot which forced a great one-handed save from the keeper and finally a quality ball in to Adam and a great stooping header which reminded me of Stitch in his pomp. Port Vale continued to look dangerous though. Hughes clashed with Connor who enquired as to 'who the :censored: did he think he was'. Hughes retort was to point to the back of his shirt. Shortly after Hughes put in his Oscar nomination early by throwing himself to the ground, Connor got booked. Job done he thought, smirking away. 4th Official decided he needed booking as well, the ref agreed Hughes was pretty pissed off at his plan back-firing.

Monty missed out with a good effort, before Vale equalised on the break. Ox who had looked shaky around his area went for a worldy two handed parry, he missed it completely and we were level. We lost the plot for 10 minutes or so after that and Vale looked like they would seize the initiative further. Especially when a well-timed tackle from Grounds saw Hughes go to Ground, the ref looked to give the corner - the lino awarded a Pen. I couldn't watch but knew Hughes had missed enough spot-kicks for us to know we had half a chance here. Ox saved apparently, justice done.

Another great effort from Monty, and solo run saw him lift onto the roof of the net just before HT. At HT I was confident if we could get ahead we would win and win well. We started the Second Half in the ascendancy and it was no surprise when a rampaging JCH saw his scuffed effort blocked, it looked to have run away from Dayton before rolling to a completely unmarked Adam who gleefully tapped home his second. Vale looked threatening at set-pieces and a shot from the edge of the box slammed narrowly wide. Latucs looked the more likely though and Monty was again denied twice, one a weak effort. A massive cheer went up when Hughes was subbed and to be fair, once Hughes and his histrionics had departed we looked well in control save a couple of set-pieces. Dayton who continues to be something of a worry due to just how lightweight he is - but his pressing run, cut inside and curling effort from 20 yards or so was the finest goal we've scored in quite some time. His slight build sometimes is an asset, other times it truly is an hidrance. We will have wrap him in cotton wool to get the best out of him.

Vale continued to have a go but Latics picked them off at will and could and should have won by a bigger margin, Jose was denied by a cracking save late on (although for the purpose of my bet I was more than pleased). A thoroughly deserved win and a very good performance, helped in no part by Port Vale themselves. Although The Vaiants put themselves about they came to play football and that meant we could play our own game and back ourselves to go tor to toe with the opposition. It was refreshing to see a team come to Boundary Park and not park the bus after going in front or in this case levelling. I truly can't see Ronnie doing this next week, he'll bring two bloody buses!

Ox - couple of cracking saves but doesn't command his area, the goal was a poor one as it simply went through his hands. Rachubka coming in to challenge is a smart move.

Brown - Refused to be intimated by Hughes and his theatrics, another solid game before his injury.

Tarky - Think he enjoyed that today, dominant in the air, assured on the deck.

Grounds - Have to say hasn't put a foot wrong in two games at CB so far.

Mills - LIke the look of him last week and added more to my initial view today, still looking to get upfield late on

Dayton - Still lightweight, but has a quality delivery and well his goal was outstanding

Wes - Started slowly, but he grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck from about 15 minuted in

Smith - A header on goal and a screamer just over, pushed us on at all times. Had a word with Connor when Hughes was trying it on

Monty - A threat all afternoon, great assist and deserved a goal

Adam - I said get the ball into him and he will score and he did….twice. could have easily had four, denied by a great save and his flick didn't quite come off. He'll push on

now.

JCH - Pre-season I said we had a helluva prospect, now 4,700 there today saw what he was about. A more mobile, aggressive and quicker version of Tonk - wrecking ball when he fancies it as the 2nd goal proved!

Subs:

Byrne - came on at the right time for me, assured steady

Jose - If he's not fully fit, nice time to come on and nearly added the icing to the cake.

Schmeltz - Was about to come on in injury time, but as I was :censored:ting myself about my bet, I can't remember whether he did or not?

All in all a very happy Latics fan tonight, not seen anything to dampen my enthusiasm so far this season. And having watched an extremely lucky and overhyped Wolves side last night, there's no reason why we can't stay in the top half this season.

The test though will be next week. Winless Tranmere absolutely dicked today will be looking for a manky 1-0 away win and come and shut up shop. It's up to LJ to get the better of Ronnie's hoof and spoiling tactics next week.

3 points in the bag and £213 richer, happy days!

Edited by oafcprozac

Why...

I don't get why people are having trouble with the name Rooney, it is the bloke's name. Rooney has done nothing to Latics, he hasn't ever played at BP or have we played at Old Trafford whilst he has been there. People are fine with the name Hughes, this is a name that has had an effect on our club, yet it is freely said and typed.

If we carry on the logic, we shouldn't be able to say Brown or Wes either due to Wes Brown.

This was my first and last game of the season (I'm leaving the country tomorrow), and it was bloody entertaining! JCH looked really good, strength and touch were excellent. Rooney worked his balls off and got his rewards, and Dayton's finish was beautiful. Montano put in some great balls in the first half and should've scored. Vale were unlucky and could have scored more, but that's football. Their pen deffo looked clear from the RRE, and I don't know what Grounds was thinking diving in there, Hughes was looking for it all day long. So glad he missed though! Oxley was pretty shakey first 10 mins and he looks too hesitant in the box, to be fair he made a couple of good says, but I think he'll cost us a few goals this season. Tarky was very good, as was Brown before he went off, and Byrne filled very well at RB considering he is clearly not a RB!

I can't comment on how we play with Baxter starting, but we looked a serious threat going forward today, so barring no injury problems the same starting line-up at Tranmere should be used. I've got a feeling someone from midfield will slot in at RB and Baxter will start though. (If Brown is out).

Overall I really enjoyed the game, and that is what football is all about. I didn't really know what to expect but now I'm glad I went and got to see what the Johnson hype was all about!

Never ever was it a pen, clear air between Hughes and Grounds. Hughes looking for it all the way into the box. Complete dive.

Never ever was it a pen, clear air between Hughes and Grounds. Hughes looking for it all the way into the box. Complete dive.

Looked stonewall from my view in the RRE. No doubt others had a better view. Unnecessary to give away but I knew the ref was blowing for it as soon as he went down.

I actually went to the toilet as soon as he blew, heard the cheering and just assumed we were 2-1 down. I went straight for a pint and it was only midway through HT a mate told me it was still 1-1.

Looked stonewall from my view in the RRE. No doubt others had a better view. Unnecessary to give away but I knew the ref was blowing for it as soon as he went down.

I actually went to the toilet as soon as he blew, heard the cheering and just assumed we were 2-1 down. I went straight for a pint and it was only midway through HT a mate told me it was still 1-1.

It was the linesman who gave it

Right in front of me in the Chaddy, the pair never came close to coming together. Grounds was catching Hughes with every stride so hughes went down, utter dive. I was in shock the lino gave it. Ref didn't.