Oldham Vs England: Passing

If we had a half decent manager then I'd fancy us to have a good tournament as the squad is as strong as its likely to be for a while - will be the last tournament you'd think for Cole, Gerrard and Lampard.

It's what happens after they go that is the scary thing, especially in the midfield and forward areas.

Wilshire, Barkley, Rodwell, Ox-Chamberlain, Sturridge, and Zaha, the cupboard is pretty bare apart from them.

I'd rather have pins in my eyes that watch the England football team.

The days of players with genuine talent ala Gazza beardsley Waddle etc are long gone and these kind of players have been replaced with the likes of milner(lol) wiltshire and lambert.

The ironic thing is the premier league is pretty much solely resonsible for the demise of the England team,well actually the sheer greed assosiated with the premier league.

Dominated by foreign investors,foreign players and foreign managers.

Lets live off 1966 becuase there is cocks chance of it being repeated this side of doomsday.

I don't go along with those who say we can't win a tournament for the next 50 years or whatever, ultimately it's knockout football and the best team isn't always the one that lifts the cup, think Greece in 2004 and Italy in 2006.

Bringing it back to Latics, FA should go down our route and find a progressive young coach who is in tune with the modern player, as opposed to the dinosaur we are currently lumbered with.

I don't go along with those who say we can't win a tournament for the next 50 years or whatever, ultimately it's knockout football and the best team isn't always the one that lifts the cup, think Greece in 2004 and Italy in 2006.

Bringing it back to Latics, FA should go down our route and find a progressive young coach who is in tune with the modern player, as opposed to the dinosaur we are currently lumbered with.

They tried that, then he started employing nutty charlatans and spouting off about the disabled.

I always liked Hoddle when he was England's manager, always tried to get us playing football, before that Venables was good. It seems now though the current English coaches are nothing short of shocking, apart from LJ though ;). There is a reason why none of the top clubs in the world have English managers. They just stick to type, and spout the same stuff they were coached when they were players, without bringing any fresh ideas, or trying to change the way we play.

For some strange reason they seem to think the English style of play of getting it forward as quick as possible will reap rewards.

I can't think of one English coach anywhere near qualified enough to take the national job. There's not even a good one in the prem.

Foreign clubs don't want our coaches, they don't want our players yet we still keep hearing how we've got the best league in the world etc. Bollocks.

We've got decent enough players to put a team together but until someone gets them playing without fear of losing it'll be the same old story. Limp through qualification, limp through the groups, edge a low ranked team in the 2nd round then lose a backs to the wall game in the quarters. At best. Can't wait.

On the grounds that he's a decent pundit?

No, national team job is a figurehead role really, only a limited pool of players to pick from and you don't have them long enough to do any coaching, training sessions are just about ticking over and getting your systems sorted.

Neville played at the elite level, gained huge respect whilst doing so, understands the modern game.

0 ears??odd y

What, for 50 odd years??!!

Since I've watched England we got to a semi final under Robson, Venebles and have been unlucky not to progress in tournaments under Hoddle and Erikson. Yes we haven't won a tournament but its a complete myth that England are rubbish at football, many teams have not even qualified for a tournament in this time. On everyone of these occasions we were knocked out on penalties except by brazil in 2002. Even under Hodgson we were a penalty shoot out win away from a semi final after scraping a draw with Italy. Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

I've just written an article on why England aren't the superpower that many think they still are. I'm waiting for it to be reviewed by the editors but hopefully it'll go live on whatculture.com in the next few days. I'll be sure to post it on here.

I'd go as far as to say England are probably a bit better than most people think they are. Only a bit.

You could go on a Rochdale forum, Burnley, Bolton, Leeds, Millwall or Accie Stanley one too and see "I don't wanna watch England 'cause they're :censored:e".

Edited by SholverBlue

The problem goes way beyond Roy Hodgson

Coaching in this country has been abysmal for decades only now are we starting to do something about it. In England we have now around 1000 pro licence coaches in Germany they have 5000 and in Spain they have 12000 it's no surprise they have better players than we do. We've got the richest league in the world yet how many world class players have the top 5-6 clubs in this country produced in the last 5 years that are English. Building st George's park is a step forward but it should have been done 20 years ago when money started coming in from the premier league.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Since I've watched England we got to a semi final under Robson, Venebles and have been unlucky not to progress in tournaments under Hoddle and Erikson. Yes we haven't won a tournament but its a complete myth that England are rubbish at football, many teams have not even qualified for a tournament in this time. On everyone of these occasions we were knocked out on penalties except by brazil in 2002. Even under Hodgson we were a penalty shoot out win away from a semi final after scraping a draw with Italy.

I'm impressed with the positive spin you've put on it, and I wish I could still feel that way - sounds like we've been watching England for a similar time (my first memory is the 86 world cup). But, I think I'm right in saying that since 1966 the only major footballing nation we've knocked out of any tournament - and by that I mean in the final group game or knockout stages is Spain on penalties in 96. And they were pretty poor then. And we were a bit lucky.

For the quality of players we have that's a pretty poor statistic and must be psychological.