Name a legend

There's some interesting debate here about what does and doesn't make a legend. For me, it's anyone who's made a lasting impression and contributed significantly to the wellbeing of the club. Alan Groves is certainly in that category. He was part of a promotion winning team and was an absolute delight to watch; unless you were the defender trying to mark him. He'd beat you once, leave you on your arse and then wait for you get up and have another go, only for him to skin you again. Without Groves, even though the others weren't too shabby, we may not have been promoted that season.

To say that you couldn't care less about him, or any other player, just because they were before your time and never saw them play strikes me as a bit odd. They are part of the heritage of OAFC. I remember players in the 50s like Goerge Hardwick, Billy Spurdle, Peter Phoenix, Ted West and Don Travis that those who witnessed the "pinch me" years may not have seen, but it doesn't mean they don't care.

I never saw the likes of David Walders or Jimmy Fay who were part of the side that David Ashworth put together, taking us from Lancashire Combination obscurity to the (almost) top of the entire Football League, but they sure as hell mean a lot to me because of their achievements and the piece of history they created. So I certainly care about them even though they were around almost 40 years before I was born.

Every era has had its legends and heroes, so the 10th legend was always going to be one that some had seen in the flesh and others had hardly heard of. The latter does not diminish their rightful place in Latics' history, though.

If you've waded through all 12 pages of this, you may have noticed that I sent Jenny a shot of the rear cover of a book that shows 50 of Latics best ever players and managers that only covered the first 100 years. Jenny likes the idea of using something like that in the new stand, with later legends added in. If it happens, then maybe, just maybe, everyone will be happy as it's quite possible that all the names that were thought of could be included.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that argument only people you have seen qualify...so take that to its limit and it has to be from the present team to satisfy the criteria for all. Daft isnt it. Shez I suspect is a legend in Sheffield and great player for us. However the fans didnt vote him in did they. Can see your point of view but when you are older you would be of the same opinion re ALL the players that have been and gone many of players in last twenty years dont come close to also rans from past for what contribution they made to OAFC.

Wasn't really the point I was making - naturally Palmer, Royle, and even Groves are remembered very fondly by those who saw them and deserve their place. I just think we should have had a better cross section across time since anybody below a certain age only has one of 'their' legends on the list

In Peterborough's new stand they have a mural in the concourse showing every shirt the club has ever worn. This idea could be combined with "legends" from each era being painted into each shirt.

A mural including every single Peterborough United home shirt has been spraypainted onto the breezeblock walls in the concourse of the Glebe Road family stand by lifelong fan Nick Warrick.

Nick, who was assisted by his friend Dave Allen, spent four weeks completing the mural which was financed by a £300 grant by the Posh Independent Supporters’ Association (PISA).

It's genuinely impressive. And once you've looked at it you can turn round and buy a pie and a pint!

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/video-nick-paints-a-posh-wall-of-fame-1-1351521

Wasn't really the point I was making - naturally Palmer, Royle, and even Groves are remembered very fondly by those who saw them and deserve their place. I just think we should have had a better cross section across time since anybody below a certatheyage only has one of 'their' legends on the list

Most of the younger fans won't have seen the majority of the 10 play, I'm guessing they will have seen Eyeres? IMO he should be down the pecking order...just my opinion

18 years in league 1 is long time with a list of players who accomplished nothing what makes a legend just playing for the club? Eyre's and Shez maybe for what they did at difficult times but anybody else?

Frustrating for the younger generation im sure but is there anybody else in the last 18 years you consider a club legend?

I mentioned it on here about 2 years ago but how about a hall of fame in the new stand

you could induct a 2 people a year players, staff, board members etc one from recent history one from the past. Keep history fresh in old and new fans alike

Edited by palmer1

Most of the younger fans won't have seen the majority of the 10 play, I'm guessing they will have seen Eyeres? IMO he should be down the pecking order...just my opinion

18 years in league 1 is long time with a list of players who accomplished nothing what makes a legend just playing for the club? Eyre's and Shez maybe for what they did at difficult times but anybody else?

Frustrating for the younger generation im sure but is there anybody else in the last 18 years you consider a club legend?

I mentioned it on here about 2 years ago but how about a hall of fame in the new stand

you could induct a 2 people a year players, staff, board members etc one from recent history one from the past. Keep history fresh in old and new fans alike

My feeling is the ‘Legend’ threshold has to be set lower post 95 to keep the young fans included. Before then the threshold was high because of our success and even when we weren’t so good, big name players were more willing to play for us aka Groves and when players left, they commanded decent fees. Now, since ’95 we’ve had the stagnation, the changes in manager, the club nearly go out of business, big players no longer willing to drop down so readily, other players moving on after a season, teams filled out with short term loan signings. There is no way a modern day player can compete with our past legends but I think we have to celebrate the modern day legends too or we will just be too rooted in the past!

Though perhaps the main issue is we are calling them legends, as you say Palmer, if we included them within a hall of fame, we perhaps wouldn't need to call them legends and it would sit better.

Also we could look at moments of celebration e.g. Nicky Banger scoring against City, Matt Smith against Liverpool, Gary Mac against Everton, Vernon against City, Corrazin against West Ham etc

I was just going to post something along these lines. Young Latics fans who are about ten now might well look back on YouTube clips of the 3-2 win over Liverpool when they're in their mid twenties or older and think "Ah those were the days, Smithy & Wabara will always be legends in my eyes".

In a similar way I look back at the FA Cup semi finals ( I was too young to even notice them) and see that Neil Pointon scored, but where is he in the Legends list? Or Darren Beckford (correct me if I'm wrong) for putting us there in the first place.

It's great to see Alan Groves and Ian Wood still being remembered 40 years on. They wouldn't make the top 20 players I've seen at Latics, yet their very name oozes and evokes Oldham Athletic: true "legends". They're part of our mythology and were integral to us becoming a mainstay of the second tier (something we can only dream wistfully of now).

If it was a case of just choosing a great player then you'd be talking people like Stainrod, Barrett, Wylde and Warhurst too, but to be one of our 10 legends I just think you need to have something extra. Your name has to be synonymous with us and you need to define our history.

A thought has just occurred to me. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Alan Groves' widow, Debbie? She may well have moved away from the area, even abroad. She may have re-married and have a family of her own. It may be that she knows nothing of Alan's inclusion in the legends for the new stand.

But, if she was willing, would it be fitting for her to be invited to the unveiling so that she knows just how much "Grovesy" is still in our thoughts and revered as a Latics legend? I know it could open the floodgates and open up the possibility of all the legends being represented if possible. But would that be such a bad thing?

She married Les Chapman and had 2 daughters with him. I used to work with one of them.

They're Divorced now, but she's still in the area as far as i know.

I'm sure she's well aware of all this...

One of their daughter's being Tiffany Chapman, the actress who played Rachel Jordache in Brookside.