Name a legend

There isn't a single person on that list who isn't deserving of the status as a legend. There are quite a few who won't make the list who are also as deserving.

Imagine trying to pick a 10th legend at some clubs, :cough: Rochdale :cough:. No doubt if the other stands get renovated or we move to a new stadium, a similar process can happen again, and we may still not run out of legends. :grin:

That's just what billy big time boys would say about Latics.

Every club from non-league or wherever has players who are legendary in that club's context.

Let's not get the superiority complex.

But I agree with your first two sentences Medic.

Edited by LaticsPete

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some positive comments in chat tonight, I've emailed my post to Jenny. We'll see what happens.

I had this reply from Jenny this morning, which she is happy for me to post.

Great idea Pete – we’ve got plenty in the pipeline regarding Latics history and believe me – I’ve become fully aware that not everyone will be satisfied with the final 10 so this would be a great addition. I will keep it in my ‘new stand’ folder for when the cosmetics come into play – let’s just get the thing built!

Kind Regards,

Jenny Warburton

I had this reply from Jenny this morning, which she is happy for me to post.

Great idea Pete – we’ve got plenty in the pipeline regarding Latics history and believe me – I’ve become fully aware that not everyone will be satisfied with the final 10 so this would be a great addition. I will keep it in my ‘new stand’ folder for when the cosmetics come into play – let’s just get the thing built!

Kind Regards,

Jenny Warburton

Fair play to her, well done Bristol.

It's no wonder that the forgotten legend remains to be...... Erm, I've forgotten.

Oh yes, my first choice, Andy Barlow. Local lad came good, loyal, was here through the glory days, was the player felled in the box which lead to the redfern pen. And most of all, introduced me to the oldham delicacy, pudding on a muffin.

Whilst I echo your sentiments Pete, the stand out name for me that isn't in the 1st nine is Alan Groves. For what the club will be looking at doing from a commercial point of view Gus has got to be in there.

A left winger who entertained. For the younger generations think Eyers and Holden then think you still didn't see the best number 11 at this club. Gus would take a defender on and beat him time and again. I can't count the number of times that you would see the Lookers Paddock applauding Groves'y on his way back to the half way line after another assist. Pure class for me and the 1 that should complete the list.

Sad that it ended tragically. Another flawed genius. I'd love us to cement his name in the new stand

Why do you say flawed genius?

It's no wonder that the forgotten legend remains to be...... Erm, I've forgotten.

Oh yes, my first choice, Andy Barlow. Local lad came good, loyal, was here through the glory days, was the player felled who dived in the box which lead to the redfern pen. And most of all, introduced me to the oldham delicacy, pudding on a muffin.

Legend!

I've just thought of one, never made it on to the pitch but was allocated the shirt number 40 a few seasons ago. The Spirit of Oldham.

All of the original 9 on the list have played a massive part in shaping what Oldham Athletic is and what it has become but The Spirit of Oldham is what Oldham Athletic is, it is what it means to each and every one of us Oldham fans. Without The Spirit of Oldham there is no Oldham Athletic, without The Spirit of Oldham turning up on cold and wet Tuesday evenings it doesn't matter what happens on the pitch as it is meaningless.

So I might change my vote from Frankie Bunn to us, the fans, we are the legends that have enabled all the other legends to be legends. Without us the other 9 aren't legends they are merely some guys who did some stuff, it is the fans and the Spirit of Oldham that give meaning to the players and their actions.

But I would prefer it if it was called something other than The Spirit of Oldham as that is a bit :censored:. I'd be happy with The Fans being named as the tenth legend.

I've just thought of one, never made it on to the pitch but was allocated the shirt number 40 a few seasons ago. The Spirit of Oldham.

All of the original 9 on the list have played a massive part in shaping what Oldham Athletic is and what it has become but The Spirit of Oldham is what Oldham Athletic is, it is what it means to each and every one of us Oldham fans. Without The Spirit of Oldham there is no Oldham Athletic, without The Spirit of Oldham turning up on cold and wet Tuesday evenings it doesn't matter what happens on the pitch as it is meaningless.

So I might change my vote from Frankie Bunn to us, the fans, we are the legends that have enabled all the other legends to be legends. Without us the other 9 aren't legends they are merely some guys who did some stuff, it is the fans and the Spirit of Oldham that give meaning to the players and their actions.

But I would prefer it if it was called something other than The Spirit of Oldham as that is a bit :censored:. I'd be happy with The Fans being named as the tenth legend.

But that's a given, isn't it? We're always here. Every club has fans that are to all intents and purposes identical, so what makes us so legendary?

All of the original 9 on the list have played a massive part in shaping what Oldham Athletic is and what it has become but The Spirit of Oldham is what Oldham Athletic is, it is what it means to each and every one of us Oldham fans. Without The Spirit of Oldham there is no Oldham Athletic, without The Spirit of Oldham turning up on cold and wet Tuesday evenings it doesn't matter what happens on the pitch as it is meaningless....

...But I would prefer it if it was called something other than The Spirit of Oldham as that is a bit :censored:. I'd be happy with The Fans being named as the tenth legend.

A bit :censored: or not, I think you may have christened the Supporters' Bar in the new Stand. :chubb:

10 years ago maybe, but that 'Spirit' imho is long gone i'm sad to say. 10 years ago we would not accept going out of existence with a whimper, now I feel many would simply shrug their shoulders - along with the 2,000 or so that have given up attending games. Nope - 'Spirit of Oldham' abandoning the club was what prompted the demolition of the original stand as whether the ground was re-developed or not the owner at the time felt he could get away with only servicing three stands. He could of course but that ripped even more of the 'Spirit' out of the club.

Personally I'd call any new bar, 'The Phoenix Bar', Revival Bar or just name it after Andy Gorton etc… in 2003 we were all in it together, now i'm not so sure what would happen if the :censored: hit the fan so Spirit of Oldham to me is definitely out.

Edited by oafcprozac

Has anybody got any video footage of Grovesy playing for Latics?

Sadly nothing substantial, Groves (11) touches the ball only briefly in these classic match highlights.

The Latics game starts about 6:45 mins into the video.

BTW 10 goals in the season from full back Whittle wasn't bad was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBvMAB8GmYw

Here is at 1:13 of this eerie video getting into his car at Chester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKjLGv_TFg

I understand GranadaTV filmed him taking apart the then England international full back Phil Neal the 1977 F.A. Cup tie at Anfield, perhaps someone can find out if its still in their archives?

Edited by BP1960

Sadly nothing substantial, Groves (11) touches the ball only briefly in these classic match highlights.

The Latics game starts about 6:45 mins into the video.

BTW 10 goals in the season from full back Whittle wasn't bad was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBvMAB8GmYw

Here is at 1:13 of this eerie video getting into his car at Chester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKjLGv_TFg

I understand GranadaTV filmed him taking apart the then England international full back Phil Neal the 1977 F.A. Cup tie at Anfield, perhaps someone can find out if its still in their archives?

Who's was the bald bloke, number 9? In the first video

Wasn't there a FourFourTwo article on Groves about a year or two ago? I remember having never heard of him, especially seeing as the article was very complimentary.

How many 'executive' boxes are going to be in the new stand? I'm guessing these ten legends will get a box named after them?