Name a legend

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pre-war name should surely be in there.

I'd go with David Ashworth, the club's first manager who started off the first set of 'pinch me' years!

Saw the club to an FA Cup Semi Final and gained promotion to the first division, managing a few top half finishes including a 4th place.

Herbert Bamlett finished second in his first year, but Ashworth gets the nod for me.

Edited by LaticsChris

Dear Jenny,

I will give you my vote in return for a topless picture of yourself. Preferably leave your head out of the picture or wear a bag/scarve. If not we dont have a deal.

Yours faithfully

Edited by youngen

I cannot believe that the LEGEND that was Alan Groves is not top of this list!!!

Although I admire all 9 on the list, several (in my opinion) are not in the same class as Groves.

Philly is also a good shout - excellent servant of the club - been there through good times and bad - legend in the making!

I cannot believe that the LEGEND that was Alan Groves is not top of this list!!!

Although I admire all 9 on the list, several (in my opinion) are not in the same class as Groves.

Philly is also a good shout - excellent servant of the club - been there through good times and bad - legend in the making!

I think in this list Groves is a victim of the need to spread the legends out across the eras. The only player on the list I remember seeing is Eyres (I may have seen Ritchie but don't remember at all, I'd have been too young) and from what I've heard Groves was a miles better player than him. If we didn't have him though young bucks like myself would have a list of ten legends we have no recollection of.

Joe Royle, Andy Ritchie, Bobby Johnstone and Roger Palmer not in the same class as Groves? Do me a favour.

Gonna be interesting for the younger fans those 19 years below to them Eyres and Shez are the big two, for me Redfearn is my favourate all time player, with Richtie and Royle.

Never got to saw Groves but based on what everyone has told me clearly was that hidden gem in a current climate would be righrt up there at the top.