Name a legend

From the fishal:

And it is a measure of the affection in which Groves is still held that he beat off competition from Ernie Cooksey, Earl Barrett, Frank Bunn, Neil Redfearn, Rick Holden, Gunnar Halle, Jim Fryatt and Andy Goram, who were in the top ten, to top the vote.

Ernie Cooksey? :huh:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a FourFourTwo article on Groves about a year or two ago? I remember having never heard of him, especially seeing as the article was very complimentary.

How many 'executive' boxes are going to be in the new stand? I'm guessing these ten legends will get a box named after them?

Similar;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/379176-the-lionel-messi-or-cristiano-ronaldo-that-never-was

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/10732133.Redknapp_s_autobiography___Bournemouth_always_had_a_way_of_bringing_you_down_to_earth_/

Edited by BP1960

Have i read that right?

Sheridan didn't even make the top 10 highest placed? I mean; really? Really?

:censored: me.

Words fail...

I'm easy with that to be honest. We should add a couple each decade and Shez will take his place. Hope I'm there for the piss-up!

Have i read that right?

Sheridan didn't even make the top 10 highest placed? I mean; really? Really?

:censored: me.

Words fail...

Shez definitely would have been ahead of Eyres for me, but then there's a few I could have put forward to be ahead of Shez. I would have like a bit of recognition of our best ever side - that around the First World War. The prolific Jimmy Fay and our manager David Ashworth, then there's goalkeeper Jack Hacking who played for England. Others worthy of mention are Willie Donachie who played into his 40s for us as well as being Joe's wing man. Andy Barlow definitely deserved a nomination, but there's only 10 places and players within living memory are always going to dominate.

My 10th ahead of the lot would have been Dux, he dragged us out of the :censored: on many a dark day and was shoddily treated by the club in the end. It would have been nice to give him some recognition for his great service and heal whatever wounds were opened up by his sacking.

AND perhaps it should have been 12 legends (1 manager and a keeper - given that Frizz played for us he could be part of the 11 anyway) Perhaps a legend for every position, nomination of about 4 or 5 for each position. They could have have even looked at the threads we had on here few months back, it at least triggered debate.

Back to Shez and although overlooked by us he is a deity in South Yorkshire and rightly so. So I agree with Groves, I nver saw him play but just seeing people's faces of a certain age light up when they talk about him will do for me. I don't know how exaggerated some of the stories are about his skills but they make for a great listen.

Finally, as tragic as the Ernie Cooksey story is - I wouldn't have been comfortable with giving legend status to a hard worker who was here less than a year. Let's remember him fondly for his efforts, but he's not a Latics Legend.

All in all the 1989-1991 side was always likely to dominate any poll. I wonder if we had a similar vote in 20 years time which players would form the core of the 10 chosen?

I'm sure that Groves was fantastic but means that as a fan who missed the PL days, I've only ever seen one of the legends (and frankly only heard of 5 of them)!! Would have been nice to have Shez purely as a hat tip to younger fans?

The question is why, when so many current supporters have seen Shez, did they not vote for him?

The question is why, when so many current supporters have seen Shez, did they not vote for him?

It hardly encourages the young fans to feel involved, and doesnt give a good impression of recent years. How do you encourage fans to come. Look at all our legends, only one of them has played in the last 20 years, why not come and try out Latics. Sheridan/Duxbury even Ernie Cooksey for the happy clappers 'he was my best mate' lot would have been much more appealing, especially to my generation. I couldnt care less about Alan Groves.

I dont know how the voting was carried out and agreed on, but on FB I dont remember seeing a vote for Alan Groves

It hardly encourages the young fans to feel involved, and doesnt give a good impression of recent years. How do you encourage fans to come. Look at all our legends, only one of them has played in the last 20 years, why not come and try out Latics. Sheridan/Duxbury even Ernie Cooksey for the happy clappers 'he was my best mate' lot would have been much more appealing, especially to my generation. I couldnt care less about Alan Groves.

I dont know how the voting was carried out and agreed on, but on FB I dont remember seeing a vote for Alan Groves

You can't rewrite history. Our most successful periods were the mid(ish) '70s and early '90s thus most of the nominated legends are from that era. I loved David Eyres when he was here and he's the only one on the list I saw play, but even he is lucky to be on the list when the last 15 years or so have been so barren. Just because some of us are younger doesn't mean we need a player we remember on a list of legends. My friend started taking his little lad towards the end of last season, but the club aren't going to put James Tarkowski on the legends list for him.

And if you "couldn't care less about Alan Groves" then I'd suggest the whole commemorating legends idea really isn't your thing anyway.

If a FB campaign had been organised for Shez, he would have won by a mile.

10 years ago maybe, but that 'Spirit' imho is long gone i'm sad to say. 10 years ago we would not accept going out of existence with a whimper, now I feel many would simply shrug their shoulders - along with the 2,000 or so that have given up attending games. Nope - 'Spirit of Oldham' abandoning the club was what prompted the demolition of the original stand as whether the ground was re-developed or not the owner at the time felt he could get away with only servicing three stands. He could of course but that ripped even more of the 'Spirit' out of the club.

Personally I'd call any new bar, 'The Phoenix Bar', Revival Bar or just name it after Andy Gorton etc… in 2003 we were all in it together, now i'm not so sure what would happen if the :censored: hit the fan so Spirit of Oldham to me is definitely out.

Losing a stand is not really compareable to the end of Latics. It's worth mentioned that the ground was sold off before 2003 to cut costs which is worse than losing a stand.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

This post makes me want to set up multiple accounts so I can keep downboating it and downboating it.