• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pile of :censored:e that was. Really dissapointed with our manager tonight.

trying to be to clever with his tactics.

What a horeible ground too, miles from pitch, no room, no atmosphere

ps where the hell is sidney?

Or was it his coach who tried to be clever with the tactics ?

Edited by BP1960

Guest Scratch2000uk

Yes?

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time, Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace, Taking, as Jesus did, This sinful world as it is, Not as I would have it, Trusting that You will make all things right, If I surrender to Your will, So that I may be reasonably happy in this life, And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

From the teamsheet tonight it looked like he was trying to frustrate them in the first half and go for it in the second. It didn't work in the end, but we've got options and I'm sure we'll see a slightly different team on Saturday that he thinks will have the best chance of beating Swindon.

Sounds like an off-day, but it also sounds like there's no need to be having a massive go at the manager, especially bearing in mind he's only 20 games into management. No need to worry just yet.

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time, Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace, Taking, as Jesus did, This sinful world as it is, Not as I would have it, Trusting that You will make all things right, If I surrender to Your will, So that I may be reasonably happy in this life, And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

I have a slightly different version:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

The courage to change the things I can

The wisdom to tell the difference

And the strength to bury the bodies.

:ph34r:

From the teamsheet tonight it looked like he was trying to frustrate them in the first half and go for it in the second. It didn't work in the end, but we've got options and I'm sure we'll see a slightly different team on Saturday that he thinks will have the best chance of beating Swindon.

Sounds like an off-day, but it also sounds like there's no need to be having a massive go at the manager, especially bearing in mind he's only 20 games into management. No need to worry just yet.

Don't really think we're good enough to squad rotate.

Really, really not a fan of Paul Murray are you BP?

...and i may be mistaken, but i dont think you've ever explained why?

Would you care to? I'm intrigued!

LJ should have had an experienced assistant in my view, Paul Murray certainly isn't that.

BTW a snippet of news for you, at least 3 Division One clubs are chasing Dan Gardner of Halifax, it's likely you will see him appear at Boundary Park this season, but probably not with the Latics (although they know from me about him).

A old scouting friend told me he pulled all the strings in midfield and was 'unstoppable' last Saturday.

Edited by BP1960

Still agree with BP. I've been impressed with Wes recently but we need something more in the centre of midfield.

Remember how well the Furman/Stephens partnership worked for Dickov. We've never replaced him unfortunately!

I have nothing against Wesolowski, but the team formation is crying out for a strong running central attacking midfielder who can create and score his fair share of goals.

Let the defence take care of itself.

I have nothing against Wesolowski, but the team formation is crying out for a strong running central attacking midfielder who can create and score his fair share of goals.

Let the defence take care of itself.

Who scored our last goal from open play?

I am getting fed up of LJ's constant 'need' to change the team - WHY??!!

The team that has played the best football and won the games has been a 4-4-2 with Philliskirk and Rooney up top, with 2 tricky wingers.

We layed down and died tonight before we even kicked off - i have not been bored at a game this season but i was tonight - terrible tactics with non-existant attacking until we went 4-4-2 at 1 down and had a slight go at them for the final 10 but that was powderpuff.

Rooney plays well on saturday, ok he wants to change tactics, firstly - let them worry about us being on a little run and playing well, totally killed the momentum tonight and Rooney dropped again - keep doing it LJ and you will alienate the fans and players.

We win but why should i keep scoring when all he does is drop me 2 games later or plays me with yet another partner, will no doubt be rooney's thoughts.....................

4-4-2 stick with a line up and if it wins it stays the same LJ, no player will complain when the team is winning!!

Sure, go 1-0 up and change to 5 in midfield, that;s different, but to simply not have a go tonight and let them have it with ease was sad to see.

That is not the Oldham we have come to know this season, with pace and a desire to win the game, we were completely stifled by our manager tonight with his inexplicable subbuteo head on - keep mixing the tactics and not building partnerships on the pitch and we will continue to blow hot and cold.

Come on LJ, get it sorted!!

Oh and the final straw with Oxley tonight, yet again never came for a cross and handed them their first goal, literally. Near post cross and he dived to catch it, instead of clwaing the ball into his body he palmed it to the feet of their player 8 yards out, absolutely shocking when you think back to the crosses Kelly used to come and claim at 5ft 4in !!!

Rachubka in next game without a doubt.

I am getting fed up of LJ's constant 'need' to change the team - WHY??!!

The team that has played the best football and won the games has been a 4-4-2 with Philliskirk and Rooney up top, with 2 tricky wingers.

We layed down and died tonight before we even kicked off - i have not been bored at a game this season but i was tonight - terrible tactics with non-existant attacking until we went 4-4-2 at 1 down and had a slight go at them for the final 10 but that was powderpuff.

Rooney plays well on saturday, ok he wants to change tactics, firstly - let them worry about us being on a little run and playing well, totally killed the momentum tonight and Rooney dropped again - keep doing it LJ and you will alienate the fans and players.

We win but why should i keep scoring when all he does is drop me 2 games later or plays me with yet another partner, will no doubt be rooney's thoughts.....................

4-4-2 stick with a line up and if it wins it stays the same LJ, no player will complain when the team is winning!!

Sure, go 1-0 up and change to 5 in midfield, that;s different, but to simply not have a go tonight and let them have it with ease was sad to see.

That is not the Oldham we have come to know this season, with pace and a desire to win the game, we were completely stifled by our manager tonight with his inexplicable subbuteo head on - keep mixing the tactics and not building partnerships on the pitch and we will continue to blow hot and cold.

Come on LJ, get it sorted!!

Oh and the final straw with Oxley tonight, yet again never came for a cross and handed them their first goal, literally. Near post cross and he dived to catch it, instead of clwaing the ball into his body he palmed it to the feet of their player 8 yards out, absolutely shocking when you think back to the crosses Kelly used to come and claim at 5ft 4in !!!

Rachubka in next game without a doubt.

But Rooney didn't play well on saturday. .

I'd like to see us taking the game to teams in every game we play, like we did against Preston, Shrewsbury and, to a lesser extent, Peterborough.

But tonight I think we would've ended up losing 4-0 rather than 2-0 if we had 4-4-2 from the start.

Wolves like us packed the midfield and went 4-5-1. They were content to sit back and let us have possession and try to hit us on the break. The only thing an extra striker would've done for us would've been leaving us more exposed to be overran on the break. As soon as it was clear what both sides were going to do it was fairly obvious it would be 0-0 at half time. I can understand people's frustrations at this and for wanting attacking football instead, but I honestly think that playing the way we did was the only was we could compete.

Unfortunately this meant that moments of magic were likely to win the game. Dayton, Danny P and Montano worked hard but couldn't produce those moments. Sako and Griffiths could. We edged the midfield battle in the 1st half without either side creating much, as soon as we went two up top we didn't just get hit on the break from committing too many players forward, we were overran in general.

Oxley - made a couple of decent saves, possibly at fault for the 1st but conditions meant the ball was undoubtedly slippery.

Kusunga - I dread to think how Winchester would've done against Sako and Kusunga at least negated the physical threat, unfortunately Sako's ability with the ball at his feet was too much for him. He'll make a good centre back.

Tarky - didn't do much wrong defensively, his tricky runs late on are getting less effective though.

Grounds - caught out for the 2nd goal, but his composure and ability on the ball make him worthy of a starting place in the middle.

Mills - OK. He had a lot of the ball in the 1st half and didn't do much wrong, defensively he got muscled off the ball a fair bit in the 2nd half.

Dayton - we relied on him a lot and didn't offer enough of an attacking threat, put in a shift though.

Wes - worked hard and I can see why we miss him when he's not there. But when he's the most attacking central midfielder then we have issues.7

Smith - excellent in the 1st half in the holding role, didn't notice him much in the 2nd half.

Winchester - wasn't at the same tempo as the rest of the midfield, but he's neat and tidy in possession and has some use. He deserves a place ahead of Rodgers as Carl does the job better.

Montano - see Dayton.

Philliskirk - again put in a shift but the tactics didn't favour him at all.

Subs

Rooney - put himself about but was ineffective.

JCH - Got into some decent positions but he looks a lot less like a goal threat than the other strikers. We need to be very careful about how we manage his development. There's a lot that I think he can do but I'm not convinced about his role in the team. A loan move to League 2 could be great for him, I don't think we'll see him being effective us for at least a year.

Mellor - poor, shouldn't play left back again. Him and Winchester do a similar role in midfield but while Mellor has more of a physical presence, Winchester plays the full back role better.

Personally I understand LJ's tactics for this game in isolation, but I agree with those who have wanted a settled side over the last few games. A massively changed team for Swindon then for Bristol City would obviously be the wrong move.

I'd be amazed if Wolves don't win automatic promotion alongside Posh. With the solid defence and midfield that they have it's no surprise that they've only dropped 2 points away and have conceded the least goals this season. Add to that strikers like Griffiths and Doyle, game changers like Sako and a manager who knows what it takes to go up, 3rd place would be a failure. They have less talented players than Posh but they are more efficient.

Can't answer that as I'm not LJ and was surprised he was benched tonight hece why I I've asked the gaffer on twitter. But in my opinion he played well on Saturday

It's all opinions mate. I know I'm probably in the minority with Rooney; but I've said in another thread I think he flatters to deceive.