Changes for Swindon?

It's obvious changes will be made for the Swindon game on Saturday, how's this team for something different ?

Oxley

Winchester

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Schmelz

Smith

Montano

Mills

Philliskirk

Millar.

I am getting fed up of LJ's constant 'need' to change the team - WHY??!!

The team that has played the best football and won the games has been a 4-4-2 with Philliskirk and Rooney up top, with 2 tricky wingers.

We layed down and died tonight before we even kicked off - i have not been bored at a game this season but i was tonight - terrible tactics with non-existant attacking until we went 4-4-2 at 1 down and had a slight go at them for the final 10 but that was powderpuff.

Rooney plays well on saturday, ok he wants to change tactics, firstly - let them worry about us being on a little run and playing well, totally killed the momentum tonight and Rooney dropped again - keep doing it LJ and you will alienate the fans and players.

We win but why should i keep scoring when all he does is drop me 2 games later or plays me with yet another partner, will no doubt be rooney's thoughts.....................

4-4-2 stick with a line up and if it wins it stays the same LJ, no player will complain when the team is winning!!

Sure, go 1-0 up and change to 5 in midfield, that;s different, but to simply not have a go tonight and let them have it with ease was sad to see.

That is not the Oldham we have come to know this season, with pace and a desire to win the game, we were completely stifled by our manager tonight with his inexplicable subbuteo head on - keep mixing the tactics and not building partnerships on the pitch and we will continue to blow hot and cold.

Come on LJ, get it sorted!!

Oh and the final straw with Oxley tonight, yet again never came for a cross and handed them their first goal, literally. Near post cross and he dived to catch it, instead of clwaing the ball into his body he palmed it to the feet of their player 8 yards out, absolutely shocking when you think back to the crosses Kelly used to come and claim at 5ft 4in !!!

Rachubka in next game without a doubt.

Spot on shefflatic,£80 down an still not home yet,I know wolves are a BIG club but that's no excuse for not having a go at them ffs what have we got to lose we are :censored: anyway and in the bottom 6,so why not entertain a bit and attack them,I've never heard the away fans as quiet tonight,board :censored:less!!

They'll be having sleepless nights wondering how they are going to cope with that strikeforce...

It's creativity and pace which will be the bonus.

Philliskirk will score goals if given the service and Milllar showed he's improving, coming close a few times against Carlisle.

Montano can surge from midfield and will score more on his own than Wesolowski and Smith combined.

Keep the pedestrian central midfilelders and strikers if you like, but don't expect any improvement in the goals tally or league position.

Height, strength, passing ability and a goal threat - split up the defensive midfielders and give Mellor another go in there. He was good enough to be trusted in there when our predicament became a touch desperate last season. It paid off handsomely, give the lad another go. Wouldn't be sorry to either of the current incumbents dropped. Wes though has played well over the last month. Smith has gone into his shell. Tactics or lack of confidence or is he just not that attacking?

Height, strength, passing ability and a goal threat - split up the defensive midfielders and give Mellor another go in there. He was good enough to be trusted in there when our predicament became a touch desperate last season. It paid off handsomely, give the lad another go. Wouldn't be sorry to either of the current incumbents dropped. Wes though has played well over the last month. Smith has gone into his shell. Tactics or lack of confidence or is he just not that attacking?

IMO Smith is not up to the job as captain, he does not seem to be able to rally the team, give the armband to Tarkowski and let Smith concentrate on his own game.

I am also concerned about the trait of several players disappearing after about an hour into the game, Dayton being he prime example.

Edited by BP1960

I agree that Tarky should have the armband and have been saying that since Furman left. Dayton for me is too lightweight, did his horrific injury affect his confidence as he is knocked off the ball far too easily? He's I've missed 1 game this season and although he's shown fleeting glimpses - he's done very little over the last month or so. He's great when there's no challenge in sight. Moment the going gets tough he doesn't fancy it, yet he's in the team every week whereas the other attackers like Montano that have offered a consistent threat are in and out of the team.

Edited by oafcprozac

I agree that Tarky should have the armband and have been saying that since Furman left. Dayton for me is too lightweight, did his horrific injury affect his confidence as he is knocked off the ball far too easily? He's I've missed 1 game this season and although he's shown fleeting glimpses - he's done very little over the last month or so. He's great when there's no challenge in sight. Moment the going gets tough he doesn't fancy it, yet he's in the team every week whereas the other attackers like Montano that have offered a consistent threat are in and out of the team.

We could sort them out as manager and assistant Prozac. :wink:

Schmeltz is :censored:! I don't know why people would drop Dayton and put him in there, he doesn't do anything with it and his final ball is awful, not to mention tracking back and helping the defence like a winger should do, drop Dayton and start Schmeltz and I guarantee within three games people will be crying out for Dayton back.

Schmeltz is :censored:! I don't know why people would drop Dayton and put him in there, he doesn't do anything with it and his final ball is awful, not to mention tracking back and helping the defence like a winger should do, drop Dayton and start Schmeltz and I guarantee within three games people will be crying out for Dayton back.

We need to support ALL the players.

Montano hasn't been a consistent threat though. The only thing consistent has been his inconsistency.

I got a bit carried away in pre-season with his form then; and TBH he did carry that into the Stevenage game, where both he and Dayton were almost unplayable. But it has unfortunately disappeared.

He strikes me as such a confidence player, and also someone who takes an age to recover from niggles.

Right now, even though he is in full training, he still looks to me like he's carrying a niggle, either that or again, he's taking an age to recover fitness again. His confidence to get on the ball and run at defenders isnt there either.

Right now - he's well down the pecking order for me.

...and as for playing him the crucial central midfield spot? Don't make me laugh!

Montano hasn't been a consistent threat though. The only thing consistent has been his inconsistency.

I got a bit carried away in pre-season with his form then; and TBH he did carry that into the Stevenage game, where both he and Dayton were almost unplayable. But it has unfortunately disappeared.

He strikes me as such a confidence player, and also someone who takes an age to recover from niggles.

Right now, even though he is in full training, he still looks to me like he's carrying a niggle, either that or again, he's taking an age to recover fitness again. His confidence to get on the ball and run at defenders isnt there either.

Right now - he's well down the pecking order for me.

...and as for playing him the crucial central midfield spot? Don't make me laugh!

Great post couldn't agree more . I'm baffled why he's in so many people's starting 11 on here . If mills is ruled out tomorrow I'd go for :

Oxley / rachubka

Winchester

Kusunga

Tarky

Grounds

Schmeltz

Wes

Smith

Dayton

Rooney

Philliskirk

Subs

Oxley/rachubka

Mellor

Rodgers

Millar

Montano

JCH

Joskts

The one thing Sid, Monty, Kirk, haven't had that Dayton has is a good run in the side. Dayton seems undroppable- with very little justification IMO. We can argue the merits of players, but without backing them through thick an thin for 5/6 games it's very harsh to judge on the odd 20 minutes or one game in six.

Of our attacking players. Rooney an Dayton have played the most. An from what I've seen (all the home games) both go missing, an both flatter to deceive. So at the moment, I'd give others chance. A proper chance. All this post is of course bull:censored:, because they'll both start t'mora.

We could sort them out as manager and assistant Prozac. :wink:

That could be the start of a great partnership, like say Dumb and Dumber ha ha.

On a serious note BP, if you were manager for the remainder of the season, what are your thoughts on playing with 2 holding midfielders? And who would you bring in, from say, non-league?

I dont want 2 midfielders sitting deep as has often been the case.

Kilkenny would be ok if anything like he used to be and affordable.

Watmore from Sunderland on loan might be an possibility.

From non league I'd take a punt on Gardner and Gregory of Halifax..I hear their winger Smith is useful too.

Edited by BP1960

Cannot understand any criticism of Wes and Smith on Tuesday, both were far more effective than Winchester and Montano who offered very little, Dayton slightly better, but not by much. They look to me now like a solid midfield pairing.

Really disappointed with us on Tuesday, I live down here and took along a couple of local friends saying we.may well lose but we'll have most possession and have a go. My heart sank when i saw the line up, 4:5:1. At the end one of them said 'I'm glad I don't watch Oldham every week!' I thought beforehand that they might be singing their praises at the end! Must take off the rosé coloured glasses.

I dont want 2 midfielders sitting deep as has often been the case.

Kilkenny would be ok if anything like he used to and affordable.

Watmore from Sunderlandon loan might be an possibility.

From non league I'd take a punt on Gardner and Gregory of Halifax..I hear their winger Smith is useful too.

Ha ha, sorry BP, my attempt at trying to be funny obviously went straight over your head. I won't give up my day job to pursue a career in comedy just yet.

#stuckrecord

Many a true word spoken in jest they say.

I suppose it's flattering to be compared with some managers and assistants we have had in the past.

Mind you I would have preferred the two wise owls lol.

Edited by BP1960

Too many changes will happen again today. Now don't get me wrong in this post I do respect LJ and think he has been doing a really good job, and has been successful in letting me enjoy my Saturday's again, but the continual changes are not helping IMO.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, 2-3 personal changes to the line-up can be beneficial on occasions to spice things up, but not every single match. The problem LJ has at the moment is that he really doesn't seem to know his best XI, there is no continuity up front (not helped by Charlie Mac's brittleness) or out wide. This links to the weekly issue of not turning possession and possible chances (crosses, through balls, etc.) into clear chances, particularly in those opening 60mins when Smith and Wes are most effective. The lads need a run together, for me it should be Dayton, Monty, Danny P and Rooney and give them 5 games together.

The second, and most concerning, problem in the last month has been the changes in formation. 4-4-2 (expansive), 4-4-1-1, 4-4-2 (narrow) have all been on show in the last few weeks. Winchester in the hole, with Danny P (who is effective there) in front of him, was bizarre. If CW plays CM (which he has the ability to) as a 3, then we need 2 bombing wingers (Sid and Monty) and an outlet up front (C-Mac if fit).

I hope he plays 4-4-2 with Rooney and Danny P and sticks with it for a while.

We have the manager and players to play attractive football and do well this season, we just need LJ to give his players, his XI & formation the same time and chances we as fans are willing to afford him.

Edited by eyres_28

People want him to pick his best team and stick to it. Yet ask everyone on here what the best team is and you'd struggle to get 2 people to agree.

For me it's a transition season with a new manager learning the ropes and a young team mostly on settled contracts. If we click by January and have a late run to the play offs then that's a bonus. If not then I'm confident we'll do enough to stay up relatively comfortably.

If we're having the same discussion in 12 months time then that's when to start to worry.