so why isn't he starting games?

a. carrying an injury

b. poor trainer

c. not good enough.

d. manager's poor selection

e. poor general attitude.

f. better impact player.

g. combo of the above.

He's just being wrapped in cotton wool (mental and physical) and eased in slowly in my opinion.

I have noted that Mike Keegan has a few times mentioned that LJ has made comments about JCH which I have found surprising:

After the derby game LJ had a bit of a pop at JCH. said he didn't work on the job he game him (or words to that effect) - despite the fans (inc me) thinking he played well.

After the Rotherham game - keegan said he was impressed with JCH when he came on. Johnson's reply "he did alright"

I didn't go on tuesday but a tweet from Keegan "3hrs there, 1hr 20 back. LJ apologised to fans. Even had a pop at JCH for going to ground too easily" - from the reports I read, JCH was one of the better players on tuesday?

Edited by pukka

I have noted that Mike Keegan has a few times mentioned that LJ has made comments about JCH which I have found surprising:

After the derby game LJ had a bit of a pop at JCH. said he didn't work on the job he game him (or words to that effect) - despite the fans (inc me) thinking he played well.

After the Rotherham game - keegan said he was impressed with JCH when he came on. Johnson's reply "he did alright"

I didn't go on tuesday but a tweet from Keegan "3hrs there, 1hr 20 back. LJ apologised to fans. Even had a pop at JCH for going to ground too easily" - from the reports I read, JCH was one of the better players on tuesday?

Which would suggest he doesn't need wrapping in cotton wool mentally.

LJ trying to fire up an alleged mentalist

Edited by HarryBosch

I'm still waiting for him to be tearing up the pitch, the beast that he is, well was described as

Shame he tears it up mostly with his arse, he does hit the deck to often for my liking. Said after sat home game when he came on, let's see how long he takes to hit the deck....think it was about 1min 30.

But I'm sure he will come into his own one day......one day

bury away last year at HT i said their only good player was 'the half cast lad upfront, i don't know who he is but looks a handful, his size pace and strength' then we signed him and i was buzzing... why we haven't played him in more games i do not know! he needs to be starting games and gettin his confidence sky high!!

bury away last year at HT i said their only good player was 'the half cast lad upfront, i don't know who he is but looks a handful, his size pace and strength' then we signed him and i was buzzing... why we haven't played him in more games i do not know! he needs to be starting games and gettin his confidence sky high!!

Dual heritage?

LJ's interview on Latics Player comes across a tad harsh on JCH for me. He's just scored his first goal for the club (an absolute belter at that) and LJ just rips into him saying he looks ameaturish.

Did you go?

He has the impact we want, bullies defenders and wins headers.

What LJ is referring to is his terrible decision making. On three occasions he went for goal from impossible angles and just seems to want to smash the ball whenever it is at his feet. I'm not sure LJ is doing the right thing criticising our secret weapon, but I can see why he is frustrated. So much potential. I see JCH as the league one Balotelli. Everytime I saw MB play for City I thought he offers nothing as a team-player but has the ability to be destructive. JCH has MB's strut and attitude and can be very effective, he just needs us to be patient. Is LJ trying to fire him up? Is he playing tricks with the press and actually praising him in private?

• 2 weeks later...

In the Chron at the end of August, LJ spoke about JC-H:

“He is a character...He is not easy to handle and to manage. But the boy has some great qualities about him. I hope we can help channel him the right way and then he can be anything that he wants".

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/82146/clarkeharris-fits-the-bill

Since then he's been fined and coached via Subbuteo, and he looks to have listened and learned.

I love watching him play and I was chuffed last night when all his effort was rewarded with a goal. He definitely has touches of genius and clown at times - he even came a cropper during the third goal celebration, going arse over tit when congratulating Dayton. There was a lot of nastiness creeping in from the magpies as their feathers got more ruffled, but he avoided doing anything to get a yellow, which would have kept him out of the next game. He also showed maturity beyond his age when, in the midst of all the handbags after Bove's adrenaline rush, he put his arms round an over-excited Brown and dragged him away from the ref's line of vision.

What LJ is referring to is his terrible decision making.

This is the main thing I've seen too. Not a huge worry at his age because in time it can be coached.

JCH has so many good natural attributes and I'm certain a team at this level could just exploit those for the next 3 or 4 years, getting a decent return from him but not developing him into anything more than a League One player.

By the sound of things and the way LJ seems to be managing him, we are looking to develop him into something much better in that time. It requires a lot of patience but it can be done. Three examples for me are from players I've seen at Exeter managed by Paul Tisdale. Dean Moxey, Jamie Mackie and George Friend all spent a few years playing Conference football and for certain periods of time they weren't catching the side, but after 2-4 years of learning their trade at Conference level they developed into Premier League players at some stage in the recent past and all are comfortably good Championship players. None of them have anywhere near the physical attributes of JCH so if LJ can do half as good a job then the sky's the limit.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh