JPT v Chesterfield match discussion

Booked a Lonfom hotel for final weekend. It's almost like the girlfriend knew the inevitable when she agreed to it.

Other negatives; drawing after 90 minutes when we are the better team, irrespective of individual mistakes.

Flip side, won £400 on an accumulator with City down to beat Bayern. Least that pays for London. The football gods giveth and they take away..

Edited by DTM

Couldn't listen to all bar 30 minutes of the 1st half, did we play 4-4-2 with Mellor on the left or 4-3-3 with Petrasso supporting Philly and JCH? I'd be interested to see how the latter would work in the next 2 games.

4-4-2 , Mellor wide left, the manager won't try anything different.

No he's got it all wrong the last 9 games

If you are happy with the last 2 performances and can't see the way it's going fair enough.

If I see something isn't right I will say so regardless of past results.

Edited by BP1960

What about the previous seven ? It's a young group . Who was our oldest outfield player tonight ? Consistency is hard to come by but they're learning and there will be more setbacks before the seasons out. I'm already looking forward to watching us under Lj next year .

I'm as gutted as anyone this evening but every defeat this season( barring Walsall maybe) I've been able to see positives . Positives I was unable to see in cheap defeats under dickov and certainly Penney .

Every time things don't appear rosy you wax lyrical over 'an attacking central midfielder ' but have wes and smith not been the foundation of an unbeaten 9 game sequence ? Whose our player of the season thus far ? Smith , tarky or wes.

David Eyres, seriously I would want to know why Schmelz wan't in the 16, there has been no mention of an injury.

So basically, you slag Johnson off for using Mellor on the left wing, yet you don't have a solution from the 16 that were in the match day squad.

I think we're all thinking the same thing now, stop talking :censored:e!

What about the previous seven ? It's a young group . Who was our oldest outfield player tonight ? Consistency is hard to come by but they're learning and there will be more setbacks before the seasons out. I'm already looking forward to watching us under Lj next year .

I'm as gutted as anyone this evening but every defeat this season( barring Walsall maybe) I've been able to see positives . Positives I was unable to see in cheap defeats under dickov and certainly Penney .

Every time things don't appear rosy you wax lyrical over 'an attacking central midfielder ' but have wes and smith not been the foundation of an unbeaten 9 game sequence ? Whose our player of the season thus far ? Smith , tarky or wes.

I'm offering an opinion, people may disagree. but I try to see the bigger picture and many teams have had good runs in all sports, look at the England cricket team a few games ago unbeatable, now considered hopeless.

So basically, you slag Johnson off for using Mellor on the left wing, yet you don't have a solution from the 16 that were in the match day squad.

I think we're all thinking the same thing now, stop talking :censored:e!

Where have I criticised Mellor, he did a decent job ?, but Schmelz would have taken Humphreys - who was never quick in his prime donkeys years ago to the cleaners.

Did the manager drop Schmelz from the 16 out purely on his Mansfield performance ?

Given the threat posed by their number seven, playing Mellor left midfield made sense.

Given the threat posed by Petrasso, not giving him the ball much was bonkers.

This, after the left back got booked the ball should have gone out to Petrasso 99 times out of a 100, he should have run at him and either drawn the inevitable foul or a further booking. Every time Petrasso got the ball in the 2nd half he looked a threat we just didn't use him enough. What frustrated me most was our inability to put a decent cross in until late in the game.

It was bizarre at time in the 2nd half how we didn't get the ball out to Petrasso quicker we spent to much time passing between centre half's last night and not playing in the opposition half

Smith was to deep and no one other than Danny P wanted to turn on the ball - 2nd half we just seemed to loose confidence before the goal we were all over them.

Last night was frustrating I have read some comments about them being a good side. They weren't bad but at most they were organised with one flyer who caused us trouble first half. 2nd half they were content to let us have the ball and press us in the midfield.. They didn't cause us any real problems in the 2nd half

I heard some people giving Mellor grief I didn't think he did to badly some good passes good cross for the goal but lacks pace for the wing but he did an OK job

Edited by bluehobbit

I see Mellor as a similiar player to Mills, so I was pleased to see him starting on the left wing. Nowhere near as rapid as Mills was, but there's potential and at least he's playing midfield, which might shut some people up. Like him a lot, happy he played and did a solid job.

We just gave away too many passes, too many badly weighted balls and an overall lack of movement. We let them press us, didn't press hard enough in return and didn't take our chances. Two well-drilled League 2 sides have stitched us up this week, we are (and were on the day/night too IMO) capable of making easy work of teams like this.

I'm not concerned that we haven't done so, because we're still unbeaten in a good number of games over 90 mins. I am confident it'll come right once we re-settle ourselves and our mindset. If we have two less games to play between here and the end of March, regardless of how disappointing getting knocked out in sudden death penalties is, then it can only serve as a reminder that we should be wiping the floor with teams like Mansfield and Chesterfield, and overall to strengthen the rest of our game with a lessened load.

I want at least a draw at Brentford, it doesn't have to be pretty - in fact, I'd prefer it if it wasn't. And then I want us to knock Mansfield all over the show on Tuesday, please.

I must say these £10 games have really changed my view on the JPT. I've been to a few now and enjoyed them all. EVEN when we lost last night I actually cared a little bit. About the JPT. Stunned.

Thank you Simon Corney and Preston for your cheaper admission prices and the enjoyment they gave me.