Penalty Shoot Out Heartache

After having a superb shoot out record going back to at least 1996's win over Grimsby in the League Cup (and perhaps beyond as there was one in the ASC I believe in the late 70s?)

Grimsby LC1 (A) 1996 W

Brentford FAC 2R (A) 1998 W

Stoke City LC1 (A) 2001 W

Burton FAC1 (A) 2002 W

Hartlepool LDV (H) 2003 W

Tranmere LDV (H) 2005 W

Since Then

Carlisle LDV (H) 2005 L

Rochdale LC1 2008 (A) W

Morecambe LDV 2008 (H) L

Carlisle LC1 2011 (H) L

Chesterfield JPT (H) L

So from that if we're away in a shoot-out we win, at home we struggle.

In all seriousness, whilst I am disappointed with last night's result - it came as no real surprise. Chesterfield have played us 5 times in this competition and beat us every single time. They have become something of a cup bogey team despite only beating us in 5 games out of 20 since we arrived in the third tier back in 1997. However, they were a decent side - especially in the first half. They pulled us about and closed us down as well as any League One side this season and in their number 7 they have a cracker that we simply could not cope with. Our lack of width was a worry, I thought Mellor tried admirably to make things happen and his crossing was very good, just a shame that no-one was ever attacking the back post as his good work was wasted time and again. The biggest disappointment was how deep our midfield was - we conceded territory time and again and the Spirites thrived in the open spaces we were giving them. That's what lost us the game, Smith and Wes needed to push on and it simply didn't happen. Over and over the ball was cleared to the edge of the box, where you would expect a midfielder to pick it up and keep the attack going. Instead they were in the centre-circle holding non-existent territory it was frighteningly similar to the away game against the same opposition last season under a much vilified manager. The players have to take responsibility and step up to the plate in making things happen.

For those of us around in the late 1980s we now have a new nemesis - back then it was John Keeley, his performances against us were that good we signed him! I'm beginning to think that to have a chance of beating Chesterfield we are going to have to do the same with Tommy Lee, he was faultless again. Got everything away or clung on to even the most difficult skidding efforts. Special mention for the referee though, the first penalty shout looked a stonewaller and the one in injury time was cast-iron. He bottled it simple as that.

When are these pisspoor officials going to be taken to task?

Back to my opening line - I'm disappointed but at least we didn't suffer the heartbreak in the Northern Final and it was never a gimme over Fleetwood anyway, who are a very good side. Chesterfield were no mugs either and maybe one or two on the pitch and in the stands were taking them way too lightly. I hope we don't make the same mistakes at Field Mill next week, financially Field Mill is our season. We have to find a way to win. Even if it goes to penalties, given our record in away shoot-outs I'd be a damn sight more confident than if we were at home!

Rachubka - Poor evening, flapped at everything, flat footed for the goal and weak in the shoot-out. The argument over him and Oxley is over. 5

Lanzoni - Steady, unspectacular. When he pushed on in the second half we looked more threatening. 6

Tarky - Straight forward evening but should have at least jumped on the line caught flat footed like the keeper 6

Kusunga - Prefer him at Right Back rampaging on 6

Grounds - Caught out for the goal, gave the ball away all night. Get him back in the middle 5

Petrasso - Promises so much then muscled out of it. No end product, follows a long line of Latics wingers that deliver the same 6

Wes - Too deep, again gave it away too often 5

Smith - Not his best night, we needed leadership, Someone to drive us forward, too often hiding on halfway or passing to the opposition 5

Mellor - Average first-half, but claims a good assist for the goal. Second half our main attacking threat, pushed on put in plenty of crosses yet no one gambled on the back post. Disappointed he didn't take a penalty. 7.5 (My MOM)

Philliskirk - Had to drop too deep due top our anonymous midfield. Quality finish and always looked to make things happen. Shame those around him preferred hiding. 7

Clarke-Harris - Another subdued performance from young JCH. Is fatigue becoming a factor? Should have won a penalty, one he smashed in but good save and a cracking penalty in the shoot out. 6

Subs:

Adam: Thought he looked a real threat - got in behind a couple of times and you can't help but think had he started what might have been? 7

Rodgers: Brought on to take a pen, missed. 5

I'm sure some will think some of those marks are harsh, but we were at home against opposition from the league below and didn't seize the initiative enough. A point on Saturday would be a very good result, injuries and fatigue are beginning to take their toll and the winger conundrum will not go away. Midfield continues to blow hot and cold and we have to find more of a threat from central areas. Defensively despite the poor goal conceded last night we look pretty solid in the last 15 games or so but we are still struggling to break teams down at home. When teams are in our face and close us down we have issues.

Over to you Lee.....

Edited by oafcprozac

more or less sums it up...

I will add that Rooney should have been on at half time - he was 'warming up' during half time AND all the second half until he came on.

We had more or less stopped using petrasso by then so a switch should have been made-rooney and JCH up top with philly off them.

I know last night we played well enough to win. And although they caused problems in the first half with five in the middle, we weren't dominated tactically or anything....

But when I saw the team sheet I thought we were going 4-3-3, particularly with Philliskirk almost playing like the right side of a three when he's been put on the wing in recent games.

If teams are going to stick five in the middle or drop a striker deep to over-run our middle two - which teams have done against us for years and teams have done to counter 4-4-2 for years - why don't we stick three in the middle park, eg Wes behind Smith and Mellor/Rodgers. Winchester could also fit in with this, put in a good shift doing this in the league game at Wolves.

Perhaps because of our shocking crosses - perhaps why Mellor started last night - I think we've looked most threatening passing through the middle in open play.

We could play JCH or Rooney up top and Philli to the right. If we want a bit more width, stick Dayton/Schmeltz on the left. Dayton is disciplined enough to cover, and has looked threatening all season when he cuts in...

At least this way we might get some bodies in the box when we do manage to get forward and deliver a cross, by virtue of the third front man running to the back stick. We have done this. We scored the winner at Shrewsbury, for example, with Philliskirk using his striker's awareness to drift in from the right when Charlie Mac and JCH were pressing,

If we are squeezed in the middle, and have a player in the hole - it's simply very difficult to get enough men forward. My fear is that play-maker Philliskirk will become the focus, the Baxter/Simpson in the 'hole', and teams will press Furman, sorry Smith, and Wes back.... and then we know what would happen - it's all so familiar.....!

Perfect view from the main stand. Still beyond me why anyone would choose to sit behind the net! He went slightly too late. Its a shame as it was a great ball by jch.

Prior to thar rooney went clear but had to shoot early due to his severe lack of pace. However rooney would of attacked some of mellors excellent deliveries second half.

Edited by welshgaz

Shame it was a good ball. Was in the Paddock RRE side and the handball also looked dead on from 100 yards away!

It was, ref and lino both saw it too and chose not to give it. Pathetic, on a par with the rugby tackle vs Reading in 1999 or the two handed push over the bar at Brentford in 2001. Probably up there in the top 5 leaving the most livid non-decision at a Latics match.

No guarantee we would have scored, but 'we wiz robbed!'

Our lack of width was a worry, I thought Mellor tried admirably to make things happen and his crossing was very good, just a shame that no-one was ever attacking the back post as his good work was wasted time and again. The biggest disappointment was how

I'm completely with you on that, thought Mellor was one of our only threats last night, the service cant be questioned. Its funny how people see things differently (or wrong as I like to put it) walking away I had a discussion with the people I was with who were adamant Mellor was awful and kept giving the ball away needlessly. IMO its the fact there was no out and out striker in the box. Rooney would have lapped up a few of those balls in, its just a shame that more often than not, the build up isnt the same with Rooney on the pitch.

I was extremely disappointed with our fans during the shoot out for not loudly booooing and whistling as soon as each of our kicks was taken to put a bit more pressure on their chaps.

Not for the few idiots throwing bottles of half full pop at the Chesterfield players?

Agree with most of that, but I thought Mellor was poor in the first half and grew into the game. (That is something I've noticed of him. Case in point - Shrewsbury away). He did however have a good 2nd half. His crosses actually have some pace on them too.

Danny P was my man of the match, he was the only one with much spark.

I know last night we played well enough to win. And although they caused problems in the first half with five in the middle, we weren't dominated tactically or anything....

But when I saw the team sheet I thought we were going 4-3-3, particularly with Philliskirk almost playing like the right side of a three when he's been put on the wing in recent games.

If teams are going to stick five in the middle or drop a striker deep to over-run our middle two - which teams have done against us for years and teams have done to counter 4-4-2 for years - why don't we stick three in the middle park, eg Wes behind Smith and Mellor/Rodgers. Winchester could also fit in with this, put in a good shift doing this in the league game at Wolves.

Perhaps because of our shocking crosses - perhaps why Mellor started last night - I think we've looked most threatening passing through the middle in open play.

We could play JCH or Rooney up top and Philli to the right. If we want a bit more width, stick Dayton/Schmeltz on the left. Dayton is disciplined enough to cover, and has looked threatening all season when he cuts in...

At least this way we might get some bodies in the box when we do manage to get forward and deliver a cross, by virtue of the third front man running to the back stick. We have done this. We scored the winner at Shrewsbury, for example, with Philliskirk using his striker's awareness to drift in from the right when Charlie Mac and JCH were pressing,

If we are squeezed in the middle, and have a player in the hole - it's simply very difficult to get enough men forward. My fear is that play-maker Philliskirk will become the focus, the Baxter/Simpson in the 'hole', and teams will press Furman, sorry Smith, and Wes back.... and then we know what would happen - it's all so familiar.....!

You are brave on here offering constructive suggestions, I've been shot down in flames for daring to challenge the mangers tactics.

Guest Scratch2000uk

You are brave on here offering constructive suggestions, I've been shot down in flames for daring to challenge the mangers tactics.

Take no notice, they have as much credibility as you have. It's all about opinions, some like the rose-tinted view and some don't.

Your problem is you can't grasp the concept of context. Your negative view is completely exaggerated by your dislike for Johnson.

Your problem is you can't grasp the concept of context. Your negative view is completely exaggerated by your dislike for Johnson.

I don't dislike him, I would like nothing better than for him to succeed, how can I be negative when suggesting a more productive style of play ?

Maybe. Not saying you are, but I'm not suggesting alternatives as a pop at LJ - however, if teams figure us out and we get the same old tactical story, like under Dickov, the tone would change!!

But there's no justifiably sign of that. The alternatives Johnson has tried so far - 4-6-0 and 4-5-1 - haven't worked, but he has managed to get a good passing style and fluidity into a 4-4-2.

Ultimately though, there has been a lot of over-reacting on here and Twitter.

Yes, it's a bit gutting and a shame to miss out on a potential Wembley trip (although who's to say we'd have definitely won the next round), but it's just one of those things.

Chesterfield are welcome to go to Wembley again.

A JPT Trophy and a chance of another one, they are welcome to it - I'd rather see us in League One than League Two.

They can only gloat when, and if, they knock us out for a fourth time, once they've got promoted...

Think that's a bit harsh on pointing the finger at Mellor for the goal in my opinion.

The cross went over him, he did what a good defender should do - anticipate, and react, and tracked back to the goal-line rather than goal watching.

It took a superb header and arguably, lucky bounce, to beat him on the line, and deny him the reward for reading the game.

The issue was allowing crosses into the box too easily. It's a problem we've seen in quite a few other games.

Chambers said LJ reacted to this and we were better on this issue in the second half. Consequently, they rarely threatened...