Lee Gregory

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MENOAFC‏@MENOAFC 9m

LJ non-committal on Gregory but PM said he wasn't better than what we have in his opinion. #oafc

What a ridiculous thing to say if we're looking at him. I'm sure this will give us the edge should he have more than one club to choose from.

Perhaps PM means he's as good as what we have got so we will sign him. :dntknw:

Edited by BP1960

Not sure why Murray would feel the need to coment,

From the videos on youtube Gregory seems just what we need, can play on the shoulder and sniff a chance out, obviously no saying he could do it a higher level but worth taking a chance on.....

we are not in the business of taking punts ? we have no money and murray was giving his opinion, he can spot a player better than we can, what if he cant do it at this level {2 levels above } do we shrug our shoulder and say it don.t matter and kiss goodbye to the money he will cost in a transfer fee,

How can you say its ridiculous when you have never seen him play then?

All our strikers may be able to hit double what he does at that level.We need it in league 1, its a big step up.

I'm sure they have scouted him in person a few times.

All our strikers may be able to hit double what he does at that level.We need it in league 1, its a big step up.

The fact I've never seen him play has nothing to do with it.

I said it's a ridiculous comment if LJ is looking at him, what if he decides to go in for him this week, would you want to sign after that comment from Murray?

Its a common line that you will here from most coaches and managers. He may not be better than what we have. You will find the vast majority of league 1 players are much of a muchness.with a few that can step up.

He may be OK at this level but I doubt we will be signing him if Murray has said that. However its up to LJ and it does not have to be Murrays job to agree with him.

we are not in the business of taking punts ? we have no money and murray was giving his opinion, he can spot a player better than we can, what if he cant do it at this level {2 levels above } do we shrug our shoulder and say it don.t matter and kiss goodbye to the money he will cost in a transfer fee,

I have known many professionals in the game who are no better at spotting players than many fans, even Sir Alex has made a few major blunders.

One top flight league coach once told me a player in non league would never make a league footballer at any level, that same player went on to win many caps for England.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Edited by BP1960

Not sure why Murray would feel the need to coment,

From the videos on youtube Gregory seems just what we need, can play on the shoulder and sniff a chance out, obviously no saying he could do it a higher level but worth taking a chance on.....

....and by taking a chance; i pressume you mean us paying the fee that Halifax want for a non-league player?

This whole link to the lad has, from what i can gather, come from threads and rumours on here?

Matt Smith came from non-league. It took 18months of his 2 year deal to fully get to grips with the step up into full professional league football.

An instant quick fix? The solution to out goalscoring?

Who knows?

But i hate this "worth a punt" / "take a chance" :censored:e that's all over this board.

Its some 'punt' we'll be taking if the fee is around the £100K mark i've seen quoted on here.

This lads not the messiah. He's a non-league striker with a decent enough record for that level.

If we're spending a fee - i personally would want it going on a more proven player at this level or above

I have known many professionals in the game who are no better at spotting players than many fans, even Sir Alex has made a few major blunders.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Do Oldham have the financial capability to take such risks?

You'd like to think we'd have a go. But I don't think Corney will. He took the risk on Smith and for 18 months, what a mistake that was. They even nearly paid up his contract. Only post Liverpool did he become anything of use for our squad.

I trust Paul Murray's judgement personally.

Its a common line that you will here from most coaches and managers. He may not be better than what we have. You will find the vast majority of league 1 players are much of a muchness.with a few that can step up.

He may be OK at this level but I doubt we will be signing him if Murray has said that. However its up to LJ and it does not have to be Murrays job to agree with him.

I'm only going off what LJ said, apparently he really likes him and the only stumbling block was a fee.

This seems like a poor comment in the heat of the moment.

....and by taking a chance; i pressume you mean us paying the fee that Halifax want for a non-league player?

This whole link to the lad has, from what i can gather, come from threads and rumours on here?

Matt Smith came from non-league. It took 18months of his 2 year deal to fully get to grips with the step up into full professional league football.

Who knows?

But i hate this "worth a punt" / "take a chance" :censored:e that's all over this board.

Its some 'punt' we'll be taking if the fee is around the £100K mark i've seen quoted on here.

This lads not the messiah. He's a non-league striker with a decent enough record for that level.

If we're spending a fee - i personally would want it going on a more proven player at this level or above

Can you name a proven League One goal scorer that we can afford?

Who knows?

Can't agree Sly, this player is far better all round than Matt Smith, he'd score goals anywhere providing the chances were created.

Having said that he could flop,(it happens with proven players), but how will anyone know if he doesn't get the chance ?

who said its ridiculous ? i haven.t seen him play do you want to pay 150k for a non league player when you havn.t got any money ? are they queuing up for him {150k is what they are touting around for him }

who said its ridiculous ? i haven.t seen him play do you want to pay 150k for a non league player when you havn.t got any money ? are they queuing up for him {150k is what they are touting around for him }

From the Mail Online;

QPR, Leicester, Burnley and Bolton will all be represented as Halifax Town visit Tamworth in the Conference on Saturday. On show is Halifax Town striker Lee Gregory who has scored 15 goals in 19 games this season and would have had more but for a broken hand which forced him to miss 10 games.

Edited by BP1960

No I dont, read the thread again and you will see who said it was ridiuclous in regard to a comment PM made

From the Mail Online;

QPR, Leicester, Burnley and Bolton will all be represented as Halifax Town visit Tamworth in the Conference on Saturday. On show is Halifax Town striker Lee Gregory who has scored 15 goals in 19 games this season and would have had more but for a broken hand which forced him to miss 10 games.

Close the thread then because if he really is that good then we won't be signing him

He'll end up dwelling in the conference for another 6 months. They'll be all the usual speculation of a big team signing him. Then he'll sign for Burton Albion.

Poor Man's Dan Gardner...

Or Chesterfield :wink:

Edited by BP1960

...who were comprehensively beaten at Roots Hall yesterday.

Gardner barely touched the ball in the 25mins or so he was on the pitch but, to be fair, they were chasing a lost cause by then. Evatt - big, lumbering unit.