Lee Gregory

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£15 an hour. £550 a week?

I'd hazard a guess that many members of our first team squad earn a lot less than that.

I'd think you'd be talking bottom end of the first team squad there, although only guessing. Most 19 year olds would take it I guess. That plus 150-200 a week, maybe some in the pocket from none league football could be very appealing

You have to remember that football is not the only thing that goes on in people's lives too. I know a lad that dropped out if semi pro football to concentrate on a career as a lawyer. He showed a lot of promise when he was young too but didn't pursue all the footballing options. Being a successful pro footballer requires 100% dedication unless you are one of the lucky ones which can rely solely on talent

You have to remember that football is not the only thing that goes on in people's lives too. I know a lad that dropped out if semi pro football to concentrate on a career as a lawyer. He showed a lot of promise when he was young too but didn't pursue all the footballing options. Being a successful pro footballer requires 100% dedication unless you are one of the lucky ones which can rely solely on talent

True, I remember the classy Brendan Burke of Mossley, one of the best non league players in the country at that time, turning down PNE as he had a very secure job in a bank. He never played league football yet could have been a sensation IMO. If only we could turn back time,

A typical goal when he was at Witton;

Edited by BP1960

I was lucky enough as a kid to play with both Brendan Burke (3 years younger than me) and David Platt (same age). Both released by Man U at 16. Brendan took it badly, Platt got his head down and went to Crewe and the rest is history. But who was the better player? - Brendan Burke by a mile - like you say BP if only.

Spoke to my mate whose played against Lee Gregory this season and i told him we were interested and he told me why he won't go pro cant say on here why but lets just say it was the same stumbling block thats only just seen Jamie Vardy realise his potential at Leicester, my mate rates Gregory as the better player and finisher, but earns a fair whack playing part time and earning a full time wage as an Electrician (family business i am told), if we did manage to sign him he would instantly be one of our top earners IMO, and that for a player moving from non league to professional would be unheard off.

As Posh are close to or have actually signed a young forward from Dagenham, I doubt they will be signing another forward in this window, unless one of theirs goes.

They've already signed one forward (Kyle Vassell) from my Conf South club this season for (I understand) £50k + add ons. In the opinion of me and everyone I know he was not ready for the step up and he would only just make the top 5 forwards that have stepped up from our club in the last few years afte Gayle, Morisson, Pearson and Midson.

Don't think he is making their team on a regular basis

They've already signed one forward (Kyle Vassell) from my Conf South club this season for (I understand) £50k + add ons. In the opinion of me and everyone I know he was not ready for the step up and he would only just make the top 5 forwards that have stepped up from our club in the last few years afte Gayle, Morisson, Pearson and Midson.

Don't think he is making their team on a regular basis

Is that Gayle at palace? How are the others doing? Sounds like your conference club may be better at scouting than latics;)

Is that Gayle at palace? How are the others doing? Sounds like your conference club may be better at scouting than latics;)

Yep, Dwight. Great lad and best of luck to him.

Steve Morisson back at Millwall having been at Norwich (paid £3m for him) & Leeds. Greg Pearson has gone back to non-league I think but had three(?) fairly productive years at Burton. MJack Midson is still a regular and regular scorer for Wimbledon having been at Oxford.

Haven't read the full thread. But we can't afford to be spending 100k on a non league player that may or may not work out.

Fleetwood spent around £1 million for Jamie Vardy from non league...and sold him to a Championship club for about £1.7m + add ons.

Of course we haven't got that sort of money, but it still looked a big risk for Fleetwood at the time as Vardy was 24yo and had never played league football.

Edited by BP1960

Fleetwood spent around £1 million for Jamie Vardy from non league...and sold him to a Championship club for about £1.7m + add ons.

Of course we haven't got that sort of money, but it still looked a big risk for Fleetwood at the time as Vardy was 24yo and had never played league football.

Did they balls!!

Fleetwood were still in the Conference when they signed him weren't they? Not a chance Fleetwood pay a million for him!!

20 quid to Player share if anyone can prove Fleetwood paid ONE MILLION POUNDS...

Fleetwood paid Halifax £1 million quid.....really???? One non league club to another, I don't think so. Where are you pulling those figures from? Even with the money Fleetwood had/have that's more than a risk its :censored:ing stupid

I thought he went to Leicester for just short of a million.

Where did you get those figures from

Did they balls!!

Fleetwood were still in the Conference when they signed him weren't they? Not a chance Fleetwood pay a million for him!!

20 quid to Player share if anyone can prove Fleetwood paid ONE MILLION POUNDS...

You spotted my deliberate mistake Lee & Palmer1 :wink:, they paid in the region of £150,000 + add ons for him from Halifax, still sold him for a nice profit though.

Edited by BP1960

Gregory an electrician and Reeves a plasterer get them both signed up quick the stand will be finished before the end of the season plus think what we would save on the contractors

Very good point.......training till 1pm, stand till 5pm