Lee Gregory

...who were comprehensively beaten at Roots Hall yesterday.

Gardner barely touched the ball in the 25mins or so he was on the pitch but, to be fair, they were chasing a lost cause by then. Evatt - big, lumbering unit.

Not what I read;

Sky Sports;

Chesterfield's frustration increased in the 69th minute when Marc Richards saw a penalty pushed around a post by Southend goalkeeper Dan Bentley, who then also superbly denied Dan Gardner with a stunning save.

From the manager;

“I always felt in the latter stages of the game, if it was 0-0, that we would create chances and with Dan Gardner coming on the pitch, it’s obvious to everyone that he’s a very exciting young player,” explained the 46-year-old.
“The goalkeeper made a great save from Gardner at the end and although I don’t take positives from defeats, we can all see he is going to be an exciting player for us.”
Edited by BP1960

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored:

We could have had Ross Barkley if we were quicker around 4 years ago.

Boo us - missed out on a free there too...

I didn't say we can win then all, but there's a kind of snobbishness with some league clubs and their fans (not referring to you on this Sly) where they think because a player is in non league thats his level forever.

I have found many league clubs wait far too long and miss out on the rough diamonds out there.

Edited by BP1960

I didn't say we can win then all, but there's a kind of snobbishness with some league clubs and their fans (not referring to you on this Sly) where they think because a player is in non league thats his level forever.

I have found many league clubs wait far too long and miss out on the rough diamonds out there.

That a fair point but can we as a club afford to pay a fee for "rough diamonds"?

I don't think we can, if there are frees out their then maybe but once anybody at ANY level hits double figures goals wise you have to pay.

Once the stand is up and more finance is coming into the club then we may have more scope. 2 years time if we can progress (maybe still in this league) the the playing field for want of a better phrase may change.

Until then unless we get lucky we may have to stick with players with league experience

That a fair point but can we as a club afford to pay a fee for "rough diamonds"?

I don't think we can, if there are frees out their then maybe but once anybody at ANY level hits double figures goals wise you have to pay.

Once the stand is up and more finance is coming into the club then we may have more scope. 2 years time if we can progress (maybe still in this league) the the playing field for want of a better phrase may change.

Until then unless we get lucky we may have to stick with players with league experience

Sometimes you have to pay a fee and take a chance on an unproven player, or stick with what we have mainly been doing for the last few years - journeymen and loanees hoping we don't go down.

There is bonus money from the cup runs we might never have had, why not use a bit of that on speculation?

Edited by BP1960

Sometimes you have to pay a fee and take a chance on an unproven player, or stick with what we have mainly been doing for the last few years - journeymen and loanees hoping we don't go down.

There is bonus money from the cup runs we might never have had, why not use a bit of that on speculation?

If we are going to spend that money should it not go on someone proven at this level?

When ever we spend its a risk taken. I know you are a big advocate of non league footballers but if we only get to spend on one player this window then surley we want to limit that risk as much as possible,? especially if we are talking 100k.

Edited by palmer1

He looks pretty good on the videos but how good would Rooney look playing for Halifax? To me the problem with Latics players is between the ears. You know the old thing about playing the match not the occasion? Well I think our lads have to get back to just playing the match and not the expectations and previous disappointments. This is where LJ and Murray have to earn their money. If the players can do it in training they can do it in a match. We know that Philly and Mac can score goals, now it's time to do it when it matters starting on Saturday against the Posh. Come on you blues!

If we are going to spend that money should it not go on someone proven at this level?

When ever we spend its a risk taken. I know you are a big advocate of non league footballers but if we only get to spend on one player this window then surley we want to limit that risk as much as possible,? especially if we are talking 100k.

Like I asked yesterday, who are we going to get that is a proven League One goal scorer?

Don't think we necessarily need to be looking for a proven or out and out goalscorer, at least not in the short term, 30 goals in the last 20 games would hopefully be enough to keep us up.

Someone like a Westcarr at Walsall, his record is nowt to look at but he works his knackers off all game, running the channels, pulling defenders around, basically a nuisance to play against.

It shouldn't be difficult to pick up someone like him and maybe a taller lad with a bit of presence, a Gary Alexander/Paul Hayes type.