Lee Gregory

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are on course for around 46/47 points if we continue the average from the 1st 26 games, however, our recent record since the beginning of December suggests otherwise and if maintained would see us relegated.

In my opinion if we dont get a dominant CF who can chip in with a goal or two but more importantly hold the ball up and bring others into play we will be extremely lucky to stay up.

This team will not 'click' and suddenly start scoring goals, we have been waiting far too long for that......if we fail to add a striker or two before the end of the window we will be a good bet to go down!

Edited by oafc1955

Heard Gregory has a decent day job with decent pay. Add to that his wages from Halifax then he might be too expensive...

Never really understood that about non leaguers. You can only be a pro at a young age, and you've got the rest of your life to do a normal day job. I suppose if they have young families they need every penny they can get, but pro footballers wages are still pretty decent even at our level.

This lad has a decent goal scoring record, albeit at a lower level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Mettam

It's interesting looking at these type of chaps. He's 27. He played in the league for Lincoln, albeit briefly and as a 20yo. With his goalscoring record why has no-one as high as the conference leagues [levels 5 or 6] taken a punt on him - He's presently in the Evo-Stick [North] Premier [Level 7]. His previous club of note also being in Level 7 Calor Premier [south]. If he was 22 and banging them in at this rate maybe.... but a jump up to Level 3 at this stage in his career.... seems a bridge too far.

Maybe he isn't too confident in his own ability??

He's not short of confidence in front of goal, his record shows that

He's an electrician by trade, so that income combined with part time football wages and expenses may amount to more than most Division One clubs can pay.

That's not to say he wouldn't have a go at league football if offered the chance.

It's interesting looking at these type of chaps. He's 27. He played in the league for Lincoln, albeit briefly and as a 20yo. With his goalscoring record why has no-one as high as the conference leagues [levels 5 or 6] taken a punt on him - He's presently in the Evo-Stick [North] Premier [Level 7]. His previous club of note also being in Level 7 Calor Premier [south]. If he was 22 and banging them in at this rate maybe.... but a jump up to Level 3 at this stage in his career.... seems a bridge too far.

Just found this on the net;

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11764/9094654/transfer-news-worksops-leon-mettam-attracting-interest-from-football-league-clubs

Wouldn't it be amazing if Peterborough signed him and he played against the Latics on Saturday ? stranger things have happened.

Edited by BP1960

Never really understood that about non leaguers. You can only be a pro at a young age, and you've got the rest of your life to do a normal day job. I suppose if they have young families they need every penny they can get, but pro footballers wages are still pretty decent even at our level.

If it is say, a £10k pay drop, Oldham could come calling for me, as an Oldham fan, and I'd probably turn them down. Not every pro likes football, just they are good at it.

I would think around half our squad aren't making the average wage for a graduate. There will probably be posters on here who make more than all our squad.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11764/9094654/transfer-news-worksops-leon-mettam-attracting-interest-from-football-league-clubs

Wouldn't it be amazing if Peterborough signed him and he played against the Latics on Saturday ? stranger things have happened.

As Posh are close to or have actually signed a young forward from Dagenham, I doubt they will be signing another forward in this window, unless one of theirs goes.

He's an electrician by trade, so that income combined with part time football wages and expenses may amount to more than most Division One clubs can pay.

That's not to say he wouldn't have a go at league football if offered the chance.

I guess he can always be an electrician again if things didn't work out for him at Latics. Depends on his outlook I suppose. One thing is for sure, he would work hard to be a success. Nothing like need rather than greed to spur a bloke on!

I guess he can always be an electrician again if things didn't work out for him at Latics. Depends on his outlook I suppose. One thing is for sure, he would work hard to be a success. Nothing like need rather than greed to spur a bloke on!

He might provide a much needed spark up front.

It would be remarkable. Good luck to the lad.... I hope it comes off for him.... just not against us!

I can tell you electrician wages are nothing special in fact around 15 pound a hour if a football club can't match that I'll be amazed

Am very interested to see the name of Leon Mettam mentioned. I am watching Worksop on Saturday as a good friend of mine is assistant manager. Having watched them on a number of occasions I would imagine fitness would be an issue but he can certainly finish - including an absolute peach at Stalybridge in the FA cup.

Has had an interesting past and presented a number of problems to managers, hence his drop through the leagues. A recent attitude shift has seen him fitter and sharper than in previous seasons, but would be a massive step up.

Is also quite selfish and tough to play with at times - that said the side is at 80 goals and counting in all comps. Would be surprised if anybody in league 1 took a punt but he is certainly much better than his current level - as he proved at Stalybridge.

Edited by whitey1980

I can tell you electrician wages are nothing special in fact around 15 pound a hour if a football club can't match that I'll be amazed

You might get plenty of odd job offers on here at that rate Andy. :wink:

Edited by BP1960