The shitstorm

They also didn't have a youth team for most of the noughties. Good infrastructure is not a strength of ours but it's a lot better than Torquay's in recent years.

Sure they where featured on talksport the season they mad the play offs a few years back having got rid of there youth system again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only really boo them off at home shrewsbury/colchester/peterborough 1st half, when I go away normally happy with a point in this division and we did a job on crewe the same as some teams have done on us at home in recent weeks we just couldnt hold out, think whats frustrating a lot of fans is the brand of football defensive midfielders, narrow formations, hoofball football up to charlie the target man, a keeper who struggles to catch we could go on and on the reality is in previous years we have managed to do enough to stay up but this group under this management set up dont look like they have it in them.

I only really boo them off at home shrewsbury/colchester/peterborough 1st half, when I go away normally happy with a point in this division and we did a job on crewe the same as some teams have done on us at home in recent weeks we just couldnt hold out, think whats frustrating a lot of fans is the brand of football defensive midfielders, narrow formations, hoofball football up to charlie the target man, a keeper who struggles to catch we could go on and on the reality is in previous years we have managed to do enough to stay up but this group under this management set up dont look like they have it in them.

Let's just hope Harkins doesn't get injured....

totally agree without his 5 goals since he came in I dread to think where we could be im sure despite our position he is enjoying his time with us as its showing on the pitch, for me even if we go down bringing him in should be a priority he would bag 20/25 goals easily in league 2.

totally agree without his 5 goals since he came in I dread to think where we could be im sure despite our position he is enjoying his time with us as its showing on the pitch, for me even if we go down bringing him in should be a priority he would bag 20/25 goals easily in league 2.

It's not just his goals either, whenever he gets the ball he is just so entertaining to watch. Not many players in the modern game can beat their man one-on-one so convincingly, let alone one's who look like the 50 year old regular down your local!

I know it would be very difficult to do but even if we went down I'd want to see him in a Latics shirt. May be out of our hands of course.

Don't worry Dan.

According to one empty head on the way out, who was saying the fans who booed at the end are disgusting and "should f*ck off and watch Utd or City if they don't like it" , Gary Harkins is "f*cking :censored:, and he hates him" (all of this in front of my 9 and 5 y.o. kids).

LJ is in a world on his own if he thinks the passing was good, the first half distribution was as poor as Iv'e seen from any Latics team in over 50 years.

I hate missing any of the action...however with 5 minutes until half time I went for a piss and a pie. With complete confidence that neither side would score. Completely abject 45 minutes (well 40 that I saw.) We were a bit better in the 2nd half and we got the goal we needed. I'm not going to blame LJ for not making a sub though...we didn't get all 3 points because Rachubka (if Oxley had allowed that ball to go over him he'd be slaughtered for it) and Wilson have had a nightmare. Whereas the jury is very much out on LJ (for me they are deliberating) you can't legislate for such a poor piece of defending in the 93rd minute. I did feel for LJ for that on Sat...up until hearing his post match comments. It looks like he's decided to go from being ultra negative after the Rotherham game to ultra positive after the Crewe one. His comments are baffling if he truly believes them...but if it provides the players with a bit of spirit and we get 3pts on Saturday then he's done his job. If not...I'm not sure he can lift the side any longer and we're probably not staying up. Whether that should cost him his job is another discussion. Crawley = win or bust.

From where I was sat the few boos I heard happened as Johnson came to clap the fans after the players had walked away.

JCH, Harkins, Wes and Rabchuka are the only ones to come out of today with any credit

Biggest problem is Crewe were there to be ripped apart if we pressed them early but when you have Lockwood at the back you cant do that

After watching that, I'm of the opinion that Lee Johnson deserves his own style makeover programme. The radical change in style between 1st and 2nd half of the season is quite remarkable!

That was ugly. The first half especially as I can't remember a time that we've passed the ball around as badly as that in years. But it was so nearly winning ugly and probably should've been. It's fairly obvious with the way LJ set up today the we are prepared for a relegation battle with the minimal amount of niceties as possible and I have to disagree with an earlier post saying that we weren't cynical enough, because we did a lot of blatantly cynical acts today. At least the team selection was honest in that respect. Although it's still a painful reminder of the stark contrast we witnessed from the start of the season.

Crewe had a 10 minute spell in the 1st half where they played some OK stuff but after that the rest of the 1st half was awful. Second half was more entertaining but it couldn't have not been. After our goal Crewe had more of the ball but we looked the more dangerous team and we held them out pretty comfortably until that sickening corner at the end. We really should've exploited them on the break more than we did.

I admire Crewe's philosophy of trying to play good football with young players, but on that evidence it's going to get them relegated. They look really error prone at the back and don't have anywhere near enough cutting edge to make up for it. Make no mistake, we are much better prepared for this scrap than they are.

Rachubka - not sure where he was for the goal (impeded?) but other than that he looked assured and will be unlucky if he's dropped for Crawley.

Brown - Mixed. One great nutmeg in the first half but doesn't do enough attacking-wise. Defensively fairly sound although he misjudged the bouncing ball a couple of times.

Lockwood - He is vital for the dogfight. No passing ability but the defence looks more organised than it did with Tarky, Grounds, Kusunga etc.

Wilson - Similar to above and the partnership is a good one. One great run but apart from that his ability on the ball isn't good. He's a good sweeper though.

Grounds - He may be a better centre-back but for the rest of the season he needs to play left-back. His distribution suffers in general but his defensive ability is strong and he links well with Harkins, meaning that he is not the weak link that Mellor is. He can also deal with Harkins' lack of defensive cover.

Worrall - Our worst player and a big disappointment. I can't quite believe how lightweight he is and he isn't quick or skillful enough to make up for it. One thing I've learned from this season is that the negatives of League One wingers outweigh the positives and you certainly can't build a team around them. Hopefully LJ has learned his lesson too.

Philliskirk - OK, wasn't really effective going forward but he worked well for the team and broke forward to support JCH at times. No doubt that he was a centre mid though.

Wes - typical Wes.

Byrom - poor first half with many misplaced passes. Better in the second half and helped Harkins down the left defensively. Unspectacular but will have a role to play in us staying up.

Harkins - tried stuff that didn't come off in the 1st half, sheer class in the 2nd half. Lower League Matt Le Tissier. You can tell he's not a winger because we he's one-on-one with his man you know he's going to beat him. The goal hardly stood out compared to his other skills.

JCH - worked very hard. The best player we have to playing a lone striker role. Bad decision making let him down.

For the rest of the season the only change to that starting line up would be a straight swap of Korey Smith for Worrall. I'm certain that we'd be an incredibly disciplined unit with the odd sprinkle of quality. Smith might be out of position on the right but he would take much better care of the ball than Worrall and still be able to use his energy to full effect. Once we solidify in the 1st half then we can be more adventurous in the 2nd. If today is anything to go by LJ seems be committed to playing survival football, so why not go the whole hog?

As for LJ, other than making an earlier change today he did OK and set the team up well on the defensive end. Whatever happens this season and whichever League we are in, I'd give him 2 or 3 months to show he's learned from his squad building mistakes. The next 9 games will be irrelevant to that imo.

While as a fan I'm prepared to accept that we need to show an ugly side at this stage of the season, the currently way I'm feeling is that League One or Two doesn't really bother me anymore. This will be our 5th season in a row that we face a relegation battle of sorts and that (along with us spending 2/3 of my life in this league and over 80% of my time spent supporting Latics) is starting to get to me. If we survive I'll obviously be happy but relegation would no longer be a big disappointment.

A great post, which is let down by its ending. If we went down, then had the same struggle in a league below (and nobody can say whether that would or wouldn't happen) then i guarantee it will have been a big disappointment after all. We simply cannot go down or we start this "cutting cloth accordingly" bingo bull:censored: again and then swim about/fight to stay in League Two. I'll confidently predict that there'd be more chance of that happening than fighting for promotion.

Don't worry Dan.

According to one empty head on the way out, who was saying the fans who booed at the end are disgusting and "should f*ck off and watch Utd or City if they don't like it" , Gary Harkins is "f*cking :censored:, and he hates him" (all of this in front of my 9 and 5 y.o. kids).

Amazes me how clueless some people are.

Gary Harkins is up there for player of the season, he's been here since January. Says it all.

Don't worry Dan.

At least it hasn't come to this;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/03/brazilian-football-fans-assault-team-players

"They tried to strangle the player who scored the most important goal in our club's history. We didn't deserve this," club president Mario Gobbi said on Sunday.

Edited by BP1960

Don't worry Dan.

Was it that arsehole that I was "exchanging views" with at the end??

Don't worry Dan.

He sounds like a swell guy.

The only way I can see us staying up is if Harkins can produce match-winning performances to get the points required because no other player appears to have it in them.

A great post, which is let down by its ending. If we went down, then had the same struggle in a league below (and nobody can say whether that would or wouldn't happen) then i guarantee it will have been a big disappointment after all. We simply cannot go down or we start this "cutting cloth accordingly" bingo bull:censored: again and then swim about/fight to stay in League Two. I'll confidently predict that there'd be more chance of that happening than fighting for promotion.

I totally accept that, I suppose I'm also thinking from a slightly biased point-of-view of which League offers more new/local away trips!

If staying up is the difference between being able to keep Harkins or not then that would certainly sway me :)