Boring boring Oldham

and since the 5 against posh weve scored 5 in 9 at home which is pants.

On paper it is but in those 9 games we've played the 2 teams getting promoted automatically, also the teams with the 2nd, 4th and 6th best away records (the 2 teams known to be going up are 1st and 5th). Take out those 5 games, and it's 4 games 3 goals, 2 wins and 2 draws, which is a lot better and results wise actually pretty good. The 3 goals in 4 games is still relatively poor though, however, we've only conceded once in those 4 games.

You are right in saying some fans want to be entertained if they are paying around £350 for a season ticket, personally I want to watch us win, and if not win draw, if that comes with entertaining high scoring games of football then all the better, but primarily I want to watch us win. The best way to win a football game, IMHO, is to make sure you don't concede, we've been doing that.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair we went into the game unbeaten in 6 and the same team for those games. If it's not broke...?

Fair comment.

But four of those where away. We undoubtedly set up well away from home. The impetus isn't on us to dictate the pace of the game. Brentford at home, again it suited us to sit back because they were near the top the league, an expected to take the game to us.

We do ok when nothing is expected, ie away from home, playing top six at home. That leaves about 18 eminently winnable home games, an yet for the vast majority of time we play like we dare not lose. We have played like that since Sheridan left IMO. We didn't have one spell of sustained pressure today, no runners off the ball. No runners into the channels, no one trying to get in behind. Is that players or tactics??

We have some good players. That makes it even more frustrating. We have a top scorer who has played at least a third of the season on left wing or in midfield. Plays up top against Crawley. . Bags a beaut. We have our best ball player playing in front of the back four, where he can't influence the game. Wes is far more suited to that role surely?

LJ has done ok on the whole, but without a doubt the majority of home games have been very boring. Not a lack of effort, just boring, an very uninspiring.

On paper it is but in those 9 games we've played the 2 teams getting promoted automatically, also the teams with the 2nd, 4th and 6th best away records (the 2 teams known to be going up are 1st and 5th). Take out those 5 games, and it's 4 games 3 goals, 2 wins and 2 draws, which is a lot better and results wise actually pretty good. The 3 goals in 4 games is still relatively poor though, however, we've only conceded once in those 4 games.

You are right in saying some fans want to be entertained if they are paying around £350 for a season ticket, personally I want to watch us win, and if not win draw, if that comes with entertaining high scoring games of football then all the better, but primarily I want to watch us win. The best way to win a football game, IMHO, is to make sure you don't concede, we've been doing that.

Totally agree with that last point.

If we were top six, but generally poor on the eye. No problem. But we've been bottom six for the most of the season, with uninspiring football at home. Not a good mix.

Totally agree with that last point.

If we were top six, but generally poor on the eye. No problem. But we've been bottom eight for the most of the season, with uninspiring football at home. Not a good mix.

FTFY I don't class 10 games out of 43/44 as most of the season, we've been bottom 7 for 15 games, so not that either.

Didn't hear much of the famous Rochdale Road End atmosphere either. Which just goes to show, if hardly anyone is singing you won't hear it.

The game was dire. 2 teams happy with a draw.

That's because they wasn't making any noise. Fans in the chaddy were trying to make noise but the acoustics are :censored:!

That's because they wasn't making any noise. Fans in the chaddy were trying to make noise but the acoustics are :censored:!

you mean some fans were trying. don't understand why more fans don't want to encourage the team. and there is no point in going in RRE for better accoustics if no-one wants to make noise. 600 cov fans and they were quiet all game bar 1 song.

over 4k latics fans today was a plus. gutted we couldn't score to encourage the part time fans.

we still look solid and hard to break down. 4 months ago we would have lost that game. a bit more quality and we should be able to do better in L1 next season

I think the target of 51 points has influenced the playing style, away from home where one point is seen as satisfactory it's fine, but at home such tactics will make some fans hesitant about renewing their season tickets.

Being a lone striker is physically and mentally demanding and IMO its too much to ask of Clarke-Harris to fulfill such a role throughout a season.

If the club is safe I will look to the Notts County game as an indicator, if LJ plays the same system against them I fear that's how it will be at home next season with very few goals scored.

Edited by BP1960

I think the target of 51 points has influenced the playing style, away from home where one point is seen as satisfactory it's fine, but at home such tactics will make some fans hesitant about renewing their season tickets.

Being a lone striker is physically and mentally demanding and IMO its too much to ask of Clarke-Harris to fulfill such a role throughout a season.

If the club is safe I will look to the Notts County game as an indicator, if LJ plays the same system against them I fear that's how it will be at home next season with very few goals scored.

Yeah I thought JCH struggled. Not his fault. I don't agree about the 51 points though BP. We've played like that at home all season. Bar the odd performance. Dayton header, an Harris free kick. The only two bits of anything to remember yesterday.

Yeah I thought JCH struggled. Not his fault. I don't agree about the 51 points though BP. We've played like that at home all season. Bar the odd performance. Dayton header, an Harris free kick. The only two bits of anything to remember yesterday.

I tihnk if JCH shot had gone in instead of hitting the post we would have gone on to win 2 or 3 nil. we still are not safe and a defeat on sat against carlisle puts us in trouble.

so the point against cov is a good point.

I defo want to see an attacking all out performance against notts county and sheff if we are safe.

I'm surprised about the positive words on here about Worral. I expected a barrage of abuse.

Whilst he didn't do anything particularly wrong there were countless occasions where he received the ball on the wing around twenty yards from the dead ball line and didn't look to create anything with it. He either rolled it back to Brown, inside to Wesolowski or tried to loop in a hopeful cross which was invariably blocked. As I said none of these are the wrong thing to do, but there are other more creative avenues he can and should take. Thankfully in the last ten minutes he seemed to realise this and looked to attempt a little more with the ball at his feet, whilst he also put an excellent ball in from that free kick on the left. I'd have rated him a solid but unimpressive 5-6 for the first 80 minutes, jumping up to 7 or 8 for the last ten. We need him to play for more than those ten minutes though.

Other than that I thought we looked a solid unit, this cautiousness has it's place but players such as Worral and Philliskirk shouldn't concern themselves with it. Leave it to the central spine of the team and look to create up top and out wide. Clarke-Harris didn't get chance to do much but I think that was largely down to service; leading the line alone can be a thankless task.

I'm surprised about the positive words on here about Worral. I expected a barrage of abuse.

Whilst he didn't do anything particularly wrong there were countless occasions where he received the ball on the wing around twenty yards from the dead ball line and didn't look to create anything with it. He either rolled it back to Brown, inside to Wesolowski or tried to loop in a hopeful cross which was invariably blocked. As I said none of these are the wrong thing to do, but there are other more creative avenues he can and should take. Thankfully in the last ten minutes he seemed to realise this and looked to attempt a little more with the ball at his feet, whilst he also put an excellent ball in from that free kick on the left. I'd have rated him a solid but unimpressive 5-6 for the first 80 minutes, jumping up to 7 or 8 for the last ten. We need him to play for more than those ten minutes though.

Other than that I thought we looked a solid unit, this cautiousness has it's place but players such as Worral and Philliskirk shouldn't concern themselves with it. Leave it to the central spine of the team and look to create up top and out wide. Clarke-Harris didn't get chance to do much but I think that was largely down to service; leading the line alone can be a thankless task.

What's annoying about a player like Worrall is that he is a loanee and to me any loaneee playing in the side SHOULD be an improvement on what you have got otherwise there is no point in having him.

Worrall clearly isn't any better than players like Dayton / Winchester so why play him,

Why even go to the expense (if any is involved ) in having him in the squad.

Worrall for the main has been poor and we certainly have several of our own players who can be as equally poor.

What's annoying about a player like Worrall is that he is a loanee and to me any loaneee playing in the side SHOULD be an improvement on what you have got otherwise there is no point in having him.

Worrall clearly isn't any better than players like Dayton / Winchester so why play him,

Why even go to the expense (if any is involved ) in having him in the squad.

Worrall for the main has been poor and we certainly have several of our own players who can be as equally poor.

Worrall is far better than Winchester (certainly on the wing!) and is better than Dayton has played since the first few games of the season (although I think there's a good player in Dayton and hope he comes good next season).

reset. repeat.

Not seen most of what has been posted, but Friday and yesterday are two of the worst games of football I've ever seen : a far cry from the expansive, attacking football we were promised by our leader...

So you've finally managed to see us win a game this season then?