Winchester option taken

Hmmm.

Pure speculation, but if Winchester / Millar and Mellor are on around £500 per week basic (with bonuses for playing etc) - releasing all 3 would this free up in the region of £75-£80K basic a year in wages; possibly up to £100K when the bonuses are factored in.

Now - think of the calibre of player we could tempt to play for us for that kind of wage.

For that reason alone, i came to the decisionthat it might be time to cut them off and re-invest that wage elsewhere.

Looks like LJ and the club disagree though; well, for Winchester anyhow

Hmmm.

Pure speculation, but if Winchester / Millar and Mellor are on around £500 per week basic (with bonuses for playing etc) - releasing all 3 would this free up in the region of £75-£80K basic a year in wages; possibly up to £100K when the bonuses are factored in.

Now - think of the calibre of player we could tempt to play for us for that kind of wage.

For that reason alone, i came to the decisionthat it might be time to cut them off and re-invest that wage elsewhere.

Think Mellor will stay too. Possibly for not entirely footballing reasons, although I'd keep him for those personally.

I'm not sure that Winchester is the future.....several managers have had the opportunity to scrutinise him at close quarters over the last few years yet he still talked about as "potential". Yes, he displays quality moments in occasional matches but yet none of these managers have given him an extended run. So who is right......the managers or the fans?

Also, it's not as if our managers haven't given extended opportunities to kids i.e Tarkowski and also Brown whose right back spot was being touted as Winchester's earlier this season.

Think Mellor will stay too. Possibly for not entirely footballing reasons, although I'd keep him for those personally.

Well if he does for those reasons you imply then I hope to god he's supernumerary as far as the wage bill is concerned because if he's stopping the manager spending money elsewhere then that will be a disgrace.

Edited by astottie

send winchester and mellor to halifax on season long loans as part of a deal to bring lee gregory to bp, after halifax lost in the play offs today gregory will probably be made available as he has expressed a wish to play in the football league.

Hmmm.

They are never on that financial package!

They are never on that financial package!

Guess work on my part - i don't have one these fancy 'club sources'.

But £500 per week seems around about right to me for those 3?

Even if it drops to £400 a week, it's still a very healthy wage when the 3 of them are added together

Well if he does for those reasons you imply then I hope to god he's supernumerary as far as the wage bill is concerned because if he's stopping the manager spending money elsewhere then that will be a disgrace.

He won't be stopping the manager picking him, he has done decent jobs in games at CB, LB, LM, CM in his time here, that's a lot of players we would need to get in to replace what he brings us. I'm a big fan of utility players, especially as squad players and especially with our budgetary issues. However, being a utility player is affecting his development for me, he needs a run of games in his best position, CM, he won't get that if he is on our bench because he can play in a few positions, therefore he needs time out on loan.

He is only young and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get offered a deal for that reason alone. If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere then he should try to do that but by offering him a deal it means we get some compo. Put it this way, compared to Rodgers, who has his own connections, I'd rather have Mellor. If we keep Rodgers there is more than an element of non-ability reasons why.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see both on our released list either.

Can clearly play, but I would question how much he really wants to be a footballer - or whether he simply enjoys the kudos that being a professional footballer brings.

He just does not strike me as the type of lad who is demanding of his manager - either for a place in the team or to improve his game.

I'm not convinced he has ever fully progressed past the torrid 10 minutes that finished his otherwise excellent debut against Exeter. He remains the same player, with the same strengths and weaknesses that he had then.

Its a shame as like many - I'm sure that he is capable of more.

Absolutely last chance saloon for me!

Edited by whitey1980

I see them more likely on loan to Bury or Accrington.

Or MORECAMBE just hope he does not make the same mistake as he did with Belezika who had a good loan spell at Sailsbury but when he returned should of been brought into the first team squad or sent back on loan to a club with something to play for not to Hyde who where rock bottom