Simon Corney to speak in Chron today

Some embarrasing comments on here. Half of you make things sound so simple! Wish you lot would of taken over you were all clearly better advised to do so! How late was wembley to be built, way over schedule and way over budget! That the fa who govern football in england. So by corney going not going way over budget to get it right and a little over the time set out, instead of rushing to please the booing brigade I'm all behind him. Oldham has always been a selling club that's not going to change corney doesn't have the funds to do so but to have no real debt as such is clearly the sign of a good business man. Oldham is such a good choice for potential investors into a club because of this and of the fact we have always made good money off free transfers.

People complaining at having to pay £30 to move to a state of the art stand with brand new facilities instead of the three other wrecks we have need their heads testing. If it was any other club it would be atleast £100. Any new stand will always cost more to go in, fact.

I'm in no way corneys biggest fan but from when I have spoken to him at the meet the manager or at the ground he has always been honest. How many other chairman come out and don't beat around the bush not many. I would rather him be honest and be told something I don't like than have him sugar coat it and know he has lied down the line!

Fair play corney!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the saga that never stops giving. The money was never there in full to get it built. Corney said it himself. He said "start building it and the investors will come." Thing is, his track record of bringing in these investors isn't very good at all. See Mike Newton, passing Latvians and conversations (he's admitted having) with shadowy people like Vaughan and Koukash. While other clubs who were once no different (or worse off than us) are on the rise. Some, like Brentford are now poaching our players on the cheap. Now it's more rhetoric to put off any undecided Oldham folk and to put the finishing date back and back again. While our Chairman is going begging for buyers of our players, he's overseeing a £4.5m project now running TWO MILLION over budget?!?! This penny pincher that people have their faith in has dreadfully got his sums wrong! Port Vale anyone?!?!

I sincerely hope not sad.gif

Whilst the announcement about ST prices was actually made much earlier in the season than seemingly normal, the deadline was also earlier. Quite a few people will have had only 1 months pay, despite it being 6-7 (or even 8) weeks, between price announcement and deadline. Yes there are financial packages, but even the interest free one will require a decent sum of money per person, multiply that sum of money for groups etc. and it is a very significant outgoing. Perhaps the extra money for the credit +/- interest made some people think it might be worthwhile waiting, not pay the £30 admin charge as well (something that seems quite extortionate for a pure admin charge- although the new stand is likely to be more expensive and presumably justifiably so) and get a seat in the new stand when they go on sale, especially if they will miss a few games at the start of the season.

I think most fans accept that selling Korey Smith is virtually nailed on, because of his age and the interest he is getting from more attractive clubs. I think most fans also accept that if we get good offers for some of our other saleable players they will be sold, most fans also accept that eventually ST prices had to rise, despite the team going slightly backwards since they were introduced. The 'official' announcement of most of those at once makes it a much harder pill to swallow. This is compounded by the general cynicism that any players sold will be for undisclosed fees, often significantly less than the fans value them, prospective stand delays (note I am not saying it will be), and the regular announcement of a reduced budget before it can be properly calculated makes some fans rightly sceptical.

Had to laugh when I looked at the following page:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

If you were deciding on if to buy a ST or not, the look on LJ's face says it all: "Ahhhh, better not bother!"

While other clubs who were once no different (or worse off than us) are on the rise.

And some are in Conference North...

Brentford are obviously a good example but there is an obvious reason why an investor (and I'm not aware that any genuine Latics fan has ever come forward with real money) found the attractive given that they have managed to free up a piece of prime London real estate and identify a viable new site within shouting distance.

Edited by Dave_Og

And some are in Conference North...

Brentford are obviously a good example but there is an obvious reason why an investor (and I'm not aware that any genuine Latics fan has ever come forward with real money) found the attractive given that they have managed to free up a piece of prime London real estate and identify a viable new site within shouting distance.

This sounds very familiar!

It's the saga that never stops giving. The money was never there in full to get it built. Corney said it himself. He said "start building it and the investors will come." Thing is, his track record of bringing in these investors isn't very good at all. See Mike Newton, passing Latvians and conversations (he's admitted having) with shadowy people like Vaughan and Koukash. While other clubs who were once no different (or worse off than us) are on the rise. Some, like Brentford are now poaching our players on the cheap. Now it's more rhetoric to put off any undecided Oldham folk and to put the finishing date back and back again. While our Chairman is going begging for buyers of our players, he's overseeing a £4.5m project now running TWO MILLION over budget?!?! This penny pincher that people have their faith in has dreadfully got his sums wrong! Port Vale anyone?!?!

I sincerely hope not sad.gif

I donlt think you can quote the £6.5m cost or £2m overpsend as gospel.

It is just the local rag reporting it for a story, something they hve form in.

Whilst I respect MAtt Chambers a lot, who knows how it was editted.

And the original budget may have been revised before getting off the drawing board.

OVer spend, almost certaintly, by how much, we may never know.

And the original budget may have been revised before getting off the drawing board.

OVer spend, almost certaintly, by how much, we may never know.

Having just re-read the article, I think this is the key; I would like to know at what point the £4.5M figure was the current thought. As some have pointed out, if there was a rise in costs of two million over a four and a half million pound project in the space of say, construction starting and now, then the Chron should and would be asking major questions about the people and processes involved, yet the article is totally blasé about it. In fact, there is not a single sniff of the financing being anywhere behind the stage it was at say six months ago. The only quote of any substance is "We are pushing ahead".

So, if you read it as "...what we were originally envisaging was a £4.5M 2,200 seat stand but now we've expanded and are looking to deliver a £6.5M 2,500 seat stand which will deliver us significantly more revenue and profit over the coming years, and for years to come...", then the tone is altogether different from the apparently fatalistic headline. It does seem to me like the Chron are playing fast and loose with the term "budget".

However, I don't have all the facts to hand, so who knows where the truth lies.

30 quid if the stand opens in October, maybe not terrible.

If it opens in February and they still want 30 quid off you, not so good.

Matt Chambers @Matt_Chambers_ · Jun 19

Simon Corney: if new North Stand is completely ready by January, I will be happy with that. Wants it as near-perfect as possible. #oafc

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Will it be The Beatles:

Do you want to know a secret?

Do you promise not to tell, whoa oh, oh

or The Smiths:

When you say it's gonna happen now

Well, when exactly do you mean?

See, I've already waited too long

And all my hope is gone

or Johnny Nash:

There are more questions than answers

Pictures in my mind that will not show