Tour de France 2014

With the tour set to start this weekend, it has just been announced that Simon Yates from Bury is to ride the tour for Orica Green Edge. Personally I would have thought they would have waited another year for him or his twin brother Adam to start a grand tour. I suppose the break he had earlier this year enforced from a broken collarbone sustained whilst racing will mean he comes in fairly fresh.

Sundays route will hold no fears as most of their training as 15/16 year olds were spent on the same roads. Cant wait for it to start vive le tour.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me too. I'm a tour maker and very excited about being a route marshall in Holmfirth. Have been practising my flag action for months :)

Less excited about my lime green Asda sponsored uniform. 'Happy to help?' no bugger off.

me too. I'm a tour maker and very excited about being a route marshall in Holmfirth. Have been practising my flag action for months :)

Less excited about my lime green Asda sponsored uniform. 'Happy to help?' no bugger off.

Any idea what time they expect to shut the road? As my Plan A for Sunday is to watch it on Holme Moss, or as the French are calling it, Col du Holme Moss. My plan A for Saturday is to watch it at Grassington, then hoon it across the moors to catch back up with the race near Harrogate, where I'm currently intending to watch it from what looks to be the last major corner before the finish, the A59/A61 roundabout on the outskirts of Harrogate. The peloton will probably go up both Holme Moss and take the roundabout quicker than I would in a car.

As for the race as a whole, there are 4 main pre-race discussion points for me. Firstly can Froome keep up with Quintana enough in the mountains to ensure that he doesn't lose more time than he has gained in the time-trials. Vice-a-versa, has Quintana improved his time-trialling enough to ensure he doesn't lose more time than he gains in the mountains? Will Cav finally wear the one major jersey that has alluded him, Le Maillot Jaune? The first stage looks like it will give him a good opportunity, not too taxing for him, with no hills of any note, a nice straight run-in without too many corners and one his OPQS train can control from someway out. Finally will the decisions of Sky and Garmin respectively not to pick Wiggins and Millar, in a very rare tour in their home country, and for Millar in his final season, come back to bit them in the proverbial?

Day 1 info: http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-1.html

Day 2 info: http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-2.html

Edited by rudemedic

Any idea what time they expect to shut the road? As my Plan A for Sunday is to watch it on Holme Moss, or as the French are calling it, Col du Holme Moss. My plan A for Saturday is to watch it at Grassington, then hoon it across the moors to catch back up with the race near Harrogate, where I'm currently intending to watch it from what looks to be the last major corner before the finish, the A59/A61 roundabout on the outskirts of Harrogate. The peloton will probably go up both Holme Moss and take the roundabout quicker than I would in a car.

As for the race as a whole, there are 4 main pre-race discussion points for me. Firstly can Froome keep up with Quintana enough in the mountains to ensure that he doesn't lose more time than he has gained in the time-trials. Vice-a-versa, has Quintana improved his time-trialling enough to ensure he doesn't lose more time than he gains in the mountains? Will Cav finally wear the one major jersey that has alluded him, Le Maillot Jaune? The first stage looks like it will give him a good opportunity, not too taxing for him, with no hills of any note, a nice straight run-in without too many corners and one his OPQS train can control from someway out. Finally will the decisions of Sky and Garmin respectively not to pick Wiggins and Millar, in a very rare tour in their home country, and for Millar in his final season, come back to bit them in the proverbial?

Froome due to his time trialling will most probably put enough time into Quintana to win the tour,looking at team sky they have put together a great team to protect him in the mountains. But as this is the tour, one mistake by missing a break when the winds blow sideways could prove vital. As for Millar and Wiggins both teams are correct, there is no room for sentiment in the toughest race of the year.

As for the race as a whole, there are 4 main pre-race discussion points for me. Firstly can Froome keep up with Quintana enough in the mountains to ensure that he doesn't lose more time than he has gained in the time-trials. Vice-a-versa, has Quintana improved his time-trialling enough to ensure he doesn't lose more time than he gains in the mountains?]

Imo Froome could do the mountains on his own and with the team he has around him then that will be that for me.

From what I've heard the roads are shut from 6am in the morning with no motor vehicles anywhere near 3 hours before the peleton should pass.

I can't see Quintana challenging Froome at all this year...

Contador on the other hand looks in very good form.

With the tour set to start this weekend, it has just been announced that Simon Yates from Bury is to ride the tour for Orica Green Edge. Personally I would have thought they would have waited another year for him or his twin brother Adam to start a grand tour. I suppose the break he had earlier this year enforced from a broken collarbone sustained whilst racing will mean he comes in fairly fresh.

Sundays route will hold no fears as most of their training as 15/16 year olds were spent on the same roads. Cant wait for it to start vive le tour.

Apparently Sundays route is an absolute killer of a stage in terms of the amount of sharp hills, especially once they get in to Sheffield. The main contenders will just be happy to get over the line without losing any time on each other.

I've ridden Cragg Vale a couple of times (its very easy, just long) and Holme Moss a few times (its not easy at all. The climb out of Holmfirth just to get to the start of Holme Moss is hard enough) and I can imagine that after 200 km of racing on hills like that, a 900m climb that maxes out at 33% would be absolutely hellish.

The first couple of stages should be great. Stage 5 with 15km of cobbled sections looks like one to look forward to in the first week too.

As the cliche goes, no one will win the tour in Yorkshire (or Nothern France's cobbles) but they can certainly lose it.

Gutted Wiggins and Millar haven't been picked. Delighted that Thomas Voeckler will be riding though. And I'm really hoping he will be in a breakaway going up Holme Moss on sunday, as that is where I intend to be.

Apparently Sundays route is an absolute killer of a stage in terms of the amount of sharp hills, especially once they get in to Sheffield. The main contenders will just be happy to get over the line without losing any time on each other.

I've ridden Cragg Vale a couple of times (its very easy, just long) and Holme Moss a few times (its not easy at all. The climb out of Holmfirth just to get to the start of Holme Moss is hard enough) and I can imagine that after 200 km of racing on hills like that, a 900m climb that maxes out at 33% would be absolutely hellish.

The first couple of stages should be great. Stage 5 with 15km of cobbled sections looks like one to look forward to in the first week too.

As the cliche goes, no one will win the tour in Yorkshire/Derbyshire/(Greater Manchester) Lancashire (or Nothern France's cobbles) but they can certainly lose it.

Gutted Wiggins and Millar haven't been picked. Delighted that Thomas Voeckler will be riding though. And I'm really hoping he will be in a breakaway going up Holme Moss on sunday, as that is where I intend to be.

FTFY.

Definitely right, at least one GC contender will lose enough time in the first week which will eventually cause them to lose a significant GC place. I never really got the fascination with Voeckler until recently, possibly because I was away for his breakthrough tour.

But I realised recently that his continued attacking in the "dull" stages makes things significantly more interesting and therefore better. It's just disappointing that Hoogerland's team hasn't made the cut, because he is the same with the added bonus of not being French.

Cycled up Cragg Vale and down to ripponden tonight. If it's windy on the last 4km of Cragg on Sunday that could split the peleton. It was very windy tonight, which makes a simple climb a lot harder.

Cragg Vale and Ripponden look ace with all the bunting and yellow bikes. These villages in Yorkshire have really gone all out to welcome the tour. Can't wait for the weekend.

Quintana's not supposed to be riding, it was said that he's riding next year's tour after winning the Giro. His disputed but brilliant ride down the Stelvio assured him of the win despite his bad chest in the first week.

After watching Froome and Contador in the Dauphiné Libéré, my money's on Contador. Froome's had to withdraw from Tirreno Adricatco with a back problem, nissing Liege-Bastogne-Liege with a chest infection and doing his usual of falling off his bike through a lack of concentration during the Dauphiné that left him feeling battered and bruised. Contador hasn't finished less than second in each race that he's ridden this year, he's been doing similar training to what Sky do this year, and it seems to have made a difference.

Plus, Froome no longer has Michael Rogers with him, he's at Tinkoff Saxo. Porte's had an up-and-down season with illness and lasck of form, but Froome's been brilliant in time trials. Looks like Wiggins is also talking to Garmin about returning there.

Contador said that he took the Dauphiné as a training ride to watch Froome, expect a lot of his explosive digs in the mountains. Plus, Froome will be asked constantly about the disputed TUE in the Tour of Romandie. Sky don't do TUE's they say. Yeah, right.

The other Yates might get a ride as Michael Matthews has crashed and had stitches in his hand.

As for the first stage, Cavendish pulled out of the national championships due to "bronchitis", and stayed over in Tuscany. He's really up for it, but with the way the raods are and the moaning that Kittel's been doing regarding it, it may be more of a classics rider such as Sagan, Terpstra or even Kwiatovsky, although I can't see OPQS letting him get away an not help Cavendish. The thrid stage looks more suited to a bunch-sprint.

Either way, there's sure to be firewirks and probably loads of crashes on the first couple of stages..

As for Voeckler, I'm so glad that he's in the race, no wonder the other riders detest him, he's off the front ripping their legs off. Bad for them, but good to watch while he's gurning away.

Bring it on. Can't wait.

I can't wait for this, I'll be In Ilkley on Saturday and Cragg Vale on Sunday. Was really hoping to get to Holme Moss but was struggling for transport, parking, general organisational skills etc. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the horror on their faces on the TV close ups as they face Jenkin Road's 33% on the run into Sheffield as well. If it's wet we could even see a couple pushing their bikes up there.

Also, shameless plug for something I wrote about Yorkshire, the Tour, etc recently: Bienvenue a Yorkshire.

http://map.kirklees.gov.uk/TourDeFrance/map.aspx

this is a map of road closures around Holmfirth etc on Sunday, there is further info on the link as well. I think a lot of the roads are closed from 5.30 if on route and 8ish if nearby.

My spot is in the middle of Holmfirth but I have to be in Hudders by 7.30 so am going by train - apparently Kirklees have helpfully closed some of the car parks in Hudders. I think the best way to be close to any of it is to go by bike

I think they will all come past me in a group and then start to split on Holme Moss.

Re Saturday I think they might split in the Dales but its a long run in -60Km?- to Harrogate which should give the teams time to get back together. Really hope for Cav that he's there at the end.

Quintana's not supposed to be riding, it was said that he's riding next year's tour after winning the Giro. His disputed but brilliant ride down the Stelvio assured him of the win despite his bad chest in the first week.

After watching Froome and Contador in the Dauphiné Libéré, my money's on Contador. Froome's had to withdraw from Tirreno Adricatco with a back problem, nissing Liege-Bastogne-Liege with a chest infection and doing his usual of falling off his bike through a lack of concentration during the Dauphiné that left him feeling battered and bruised. Contador hasn't finished less than second in each race that he's ridden this year, he's been doing similar training to what Sky do this year, and it seems to have made a difference.

Plus, Froome no longer has Michael Rogers with him, he's at Tinkoff Saxo. Porte's had an up-and-down season with illness and lasck of form, but Froome's been brilliant in time trials. Looks like Wiggins is also talking to Garmin about returning there.

Contador said that he took the Dauphiné as a training ride to watch Froome, expect a lot of his explosive digs in the mountains. Plus, Froome will be asked constantly about the disputed TUE in the Tour of Romandie. Sky don't do TUE's they say. Yeah, right.

The other Yates might get a ride as Michael Matthews has crashed and had stitches in his hand.

As for the first stage, Cavendish pulled out of the national championships due to "bronchitis", and stayed over in Tuscany. He's really up for it, but with the way the raods are and the moaning that Kittel's been doing regarding it, it may be more of a classics rider such as Sagan, Terpstra or even Kwiatovsky, although I can't see OPQS letting him get away an not help Cavendish. The thrid stage looks more suited to a bunch-sprint.

Either way, there's sure to be firewirks and probably loads of crashes on the first couple of stages..

As for Voeckler, I'm so glad that he's in the race, no wonder the other riders detest him, he's off the front ripping their legs off. Bad for them, but good to watch while he's gurning away.

Bring it on. Can't wait.

I don't think Quintana was ever planning on riding this years tour. Shame for us like, but he was pretty damn good in Italy.

I think Contador looks very good. Not sure how much Froome struggling at the back end of three Dauphine wad down to his crash or just not being able to keep up. Bertie might wish he'd chased that break down sooner though.

It will be interesting to see how much of an effect Kreuziger being stood down has on Contador.

this is a map of road closures around Holmfirth etc on Sunday, there is further info on the link as well. I think a lot of the roads are closed from 5.30 if on route and 8ish if nearby.

My spot is in the middle of Holmfirth but I have to be in Hudders by 7.30 so am going by train - apparently Kirklees have helpfully closed some of the car parks in Hudders. I think the best way to be close to any of it is to go by bike

I think they will all come past me in a group and then start to split on Holme Moss.

Re Saturday I think they might split in the Dales but its a long run in -60Km?- to Harrogate which should give the teams time to get back together. Really hope for Cav that he's there at the end.

Our plan on Sunday is to get a taxi up isle of Sky early doors and get dropped off as close as they can to Holmefirth and just walk from there up holme moss until we have a good spot.

It might not be 60k from Leyburn to Harrogate, on their route, but it's a lot more up and down and twisty than maps give it credit for. There will be some sections where the peloton will be able to see a long way down the road so might well be able to see a breakaway if they aren't too far enough in front.

My Plan A might be out of the window for Sunday. Apparently there's a decent number already camping out on Holme moss now and Huddersfield is apparently expecting 200,000 people to watch it, that may be for Kirklees MBC but the person who told me seemed to think it was just Huddersfield. In which case I'll go and watch it by Hollingworth Lake, where the roads will probably be more open.

We have just got back from driving from Leyburn, Aysgarth, Hawes, Buttertubs pass Reeth, Grinton then back to Leyburn. The Dales are chocker block with people camping, in farmers fields with caravan/camper vans,. And for weeks on end we have had thousands of cyclists doing "The route", including the teams. This thing is going to be massive. We are expecting 10,000 people in Leyburn as it is a designated hub, with lots of entertainment laid on. Should be very good.

We have just got back from driving from Leyburn, Aysgarth, Hawes, Buttertubs pass Reeth, Grinton then back to Leyburn. The Dales are chocker block with people camping, in farmers fields with caravan/camper vans,. And for weeks on end we have had thousands of cyclists doing "The route", including the teams. This thing is going to be massive. We are expecting 10,000 people in Leyburn as it is a designated hub, with lots of entertainment laid on. Should be very good.

Agreed this is going to be massive, the greatest bike race in the world on our doorstep, a free festival the atmosphere will be fantastic. Anyone who is remotely interested in sport should be there to witness what the French are so rightly proud of.

It might not be 60k from Leyburn to Harrogate, on their route, but it's a lot more up and down and twisty than maps give it credit for. There will be some sections where the peloton will be able to see a long way down the road so might well be able to see a breakaway if they aren't too far enough in front.

My Plan A might be out of the window for Sunday. Apparently there's a decent number already camping out on Holme moss now and Huddersfield is apparently expecting 200,000 people to watch it, that may be for Kirklees MBC but the person who told me seemed to think it was just Huddersfield. In which case I'll go and watch it by Hollingworth Lake, where the roads will probably be more open.

Blackstone Edge road is closed all the way from the lake on Sunday, so that's a pretty long walk uphill from Hollingworth Lake to top of Cragg Vale. I think it will be just as packed there as anywhere as well to be honest.

Blackstone Edge road is closed all the way from the lake on Sunday, so that's a pretty long walk uphill from Hollingworth Lake to top of Cragg Vale. I think it will be just as packed there as anywhere as well to be honest.

Wasn't thinking of walking up to Cragg Vale more the big left turn in Littleborough.