Video Technology

As Blatter has brought this up again and it's going to get some media coverage, I was just wondering what the general take on it was?

Personally I'm dead against it. I can deal with goal line as it's an absolute that is resolved instantly and isn't open to interpretation. But as for reviewing decisions in the middle of a match I can't see how it can work at all. I stand to be corrected, but I can't think of any other sport that uses video technology that can go for ages in between stoppages. Rugby only uses it for tries I believe when the play has already stopped.

If this proposal goes ahead you could have a contentious penalty decision, then a few minutes of play carrying on, maybe even someone getting sent off for a professional foul, then when play stops we go back and review the penalty call. Replays are often inconclusive so there'd be a long stoppage whilst it was looked at umpteen times and then what'd happen to the red card if they went back and gave the penalty?

Too much open to abuse and causing unnecessary stoppages. Be interesting to hear other people's take on it though. Or if there is a way of doing it that doesn't ruin the game.

I'm dead against it, we score, we celebrate, we glance at the linesman for a split second, we carry on celebrating. They joy is new and raw. If this comes in we won't celebrate as we should, when the goal goes in we will be waiting around for someone to object and the joy of the moment will be gone.

Not for me.

As Blatter has brought this up again and it's going to get some media coverage, I was just wondering what the general take on it was?

Personally I'm dead against it. I can deal with goal line as it's an absolute that is resolved instantly and isn't open to interpretation. But as for reviewing decisions in the middle of a match I can't see how it can work at all. I stand to be corrected, but I can't think of any other sport that uses video technology that can go for ages in between stoppages. Rugby only uses it for tries I believe when the play has already stopped.

If this proposal goes ahead you could have a contentious penalty decision, then a few minutes of play carrying on, maybe even someone getting sent off for a professional foul, then when play stops we go back and review the penalty call. Replays are often inconclusive so there'd be a long stoppage whilst it was looked at umpteen times and then what'd happen to the red card if they went back and gave the penalty?

Too much open to abuse and causing unnecessary stoppages. Be interesting to hear other people's take on it though. Or if there is a way of doing it that doesn't ruin the game.

Like J said, depending on the circumstances in the Premiership it'd go to a short advert break while the officials sorted the challenge out, or maybe a Super League TRY / NO TRY situation to build anticipation. The thing I was thinking about is that the manager would have two opportunities to challenge the ref - one on each half without any punishment if the challenge was wrong and the rule on the field stood. In NFL the coaches lose a timeout in the half (a very useful commodity) if the challenge is unsuccessful, which is enough to stop the coaches from undermining the officials and making nuisance/statement challenges. I'd like to see something similar with the assoc.football version.

It could work, if it is implemented correctly. The advertising and marketing agencies will be rubbing their hands, mind.

It could work, if it is implemented correctly. The advertiing and marketing agencies will be rubbing their hands, mind.

How could it work though? This is the bit I'm struggling to get my head around. All other sports go to video technology to review something that happened just before play stopped. Not so in football, the game could go on for ages before the next natural stoppage. And what happens to all that time played if a non-penalty call is overruled? You could be having 10/15 minutes of video replay related stoppage time each half.

Theres obvious indicators why video replays won't work and hold up the game. For a start, look at other sports that use it in a similar fashion. Both in cricket and rugby there have times when replays get used and it still doesn't get the right decision even though the guy in front on the screen has 3 minutes worth of replays in front of him. Also in football, how many times has a decision been given and pundits still can't come to a conclusive call at the end of the game? The fact is the decisions that will come from replays are far too objective and for every clear cut bad call the ref gets surely you'd get twice as many closer calls which will highlight the issues?

Goal line tech works, even if FIFA had to get tv companies at the world cup to use it needlessly to try and justify the cost and appease the developer...

In NFL the coaches lose a timeout in the half (a very useful commodity) if the challenge is unsuccessful, which is enough to stop the coaches from undermining the officials and making nuisance/statement challenges. I'd like to see something similar with the assoc.football version.

God yeah. You can imagine the scenario. A team takes the lead against the run of play. And as the behind team up the tempo to force an equaliser a frivolous challenge is lodged which kills the flow of play. It'd be abused no end if there were no punishment for that. It's bad enough with the ludicrous substitution that takes an age to complete in a vain effort to waste time.

They could add things that are easy to do though. If there is an off side goal, have a review system in place that would stop that.

If the ball goes out of play, pull it back at the first opportunity. Just absolutes. No other things need to be touched and could get daft as stated above.

The only absolute is whether or not the ball has crossed a line. With offside its possible for there to be doubt about whether someone is interfering with play for example.

I consider myself to be a bit of a traditionalist, so for me I wouldn't like to see this being implemented but as said above I very much doubt it would effect little owd owdhum barring maybe a televised FA cup game perhaps

But there is a way to do this in a way that shouldn't slow the game down, in addition to the current match official team you add 3 time served refs in a room in the ground surrounded by tvs screens all showing different camera angles of the match they are in contact with the ref via headsets and deliver there verdict down to the ref for each incident and the ref it's then up to the ref to do his job with the knowledge of what he's seen and what the 3 refs in the box have seen