• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans and Hughes cases are totally different. Different crimes and different circumstances. That's not to say one is worse than the other, however, I don't believe you can compare them as easily as some seem to present on here.

I'm surprised that the club, especially Corney, have even entertained the idea of signing Evans at the current time. The only reason I could think of is that they have it on good ground that Evans' conviction may be overturned in the near future. Other than that, I'm unsure why they would want to drag the club through a :censored:storm that is totally unnecessary.

All we can do is wait.

Where is Sir Barry Owen these days? Hush Hush as usual.

Evans and Hughes cases are totally different. Different crimes and different circumstances. That's not to say one is worse than the other, however, I don't believe you can compare them as easily as some seem to present on here.

I'm surprised that the club, especially Corney, have even entertained the idea of signing Evans at the current time. The only reason I could think of is that they have it on good ground that Evans' conviction may be overturned in the near future. Other than that, I'm unsure why they would want to drag the club through a :censored:storm that is totally unnecessary.

All we can do is wait.

Where is Sir Barry Owen these days? Hush Hush as usual.

He hasn't been on here since April it would seem going off his profile.

For the millionth time why would Evans show remorse when he is claiming innocence? Hughes case was far more clear cut.

Innocent until proven guilty. A jury found him guilty, therefore (until otherwise proven) he is guilty.

His victim has to see his face and name in the paper and media everyday. It's bad enough that fans from his old club hound this victim so much that she has had to change her name 5 times to get away from them, how do you think she will feel if Oldham fans start doing that too or start singing songs praising him?

I don't think its worth the risk to the clubs reputation, the dynamic of the team, the happiness of the manager, the support of the fans, the money from our sponsors, etc.. for an un-fit striker who is a convicted rapist!

I'd rather we signed someone else or didn't sign anyone at all.

If this is unfolding how it appears to be, it is almost comical.

As a football club we seemed to be in as good a position as we have been for at least 5 years, if not more. Reasonable league position, some devent players, a new stand coming and a manager that looks like he will have a good future in football (and hopefully achieve something with us along the way).

If as a club we want to take a stance (and one we have taken before) that a player that has served a criminal record should be given a chance - and I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of that at the moment - you would have expected a thorough level of planning and discussions to have taken place before it got close to being public.

For example the club should have a view on sponors (we know which will stay / which will go); the manager (needs to be supportive of this, at least in public even if he isn't); the chairman (we stronglt believe that everyone deserves a second chance. We know this will be difficult for everyone etc but we strongly believe its the right thing to do both morally and in football terms etc.).

If, as it appears, that the fact the PFA are not willing to support us in the press conference is a key reason for the wobble - then this should have been signed and sealed early on.

For the first time I am genuinely embarressed to be an Oldham Athletic fan today. I am in a moral quandry about the right and wrongs of the signing, but I would have hoped we would have the courage of our convictioons (excuse the pun) and go for it properly if that is what we had decided.

To be having an internal discussion in the full glare of the media is very very sad and depressing. And appears to be creating enough cracks that it may well spell the end of LJ's tenure, which is equally sad and depressing.

Innocent until proven guilty. A jury found him guilty, therefore (until otherwise proven) he is guilty.

His victim has to see his face and name in the paper and media everyday. It's bad enough that fans from his old club hound this victim so much that she has had to change her name 5 times to get away from them, how do you think she will feel if Oldham fans start doing that too or start singing songs praising him?

I don't think its worth the risk to the clubs reputation, the dynamic of the team, the happiness of the manager, the support of the fans, the money from our sponsors, etc.. for an un-fit striker who is a convicted rapist!

I'd rather we signed someone else or didn't sign anyone at all.

All i'm saying is imagine it was you and you knew she had consented, you wouldn't show remorse. That's why he hasn't shown any remorse as he believes he is innocent. I agree he is guilty in the eyes of the law. Anyway all that's irrelevant as he is out of jail and free to seek employment.

All i'm saying is imagine it was you and you knew she had consented, you wouldn't show remorse. That's why he hasn't shown any remorse as he believes he is innocent. I agree he is guilty in the eyes of the law. Anyway all that's irrelevant as he is out of jail and free to seek employment.

We are under no obligation to give a unremorseful rapist said employment... So why should we ? What boxes does he tick for you ? He isn't even that good of a player.

Edited by oafc0000

As a football club we seemed to be in as good a position as we have been for at least 5 years, if not more. Reasonable league position, some devent players, a new stand coming and a manager that looks like he will have a good future in football (and hopefully achieve something with us along the way).

If as a club we want to take a stance (and one we have taken before) that a player that has served a criminal record should be given a chance - and I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of that at the moment - you would have expected a thorough level of planning and discussions to have taken place before it got close to being public.

For example the club should have a view on sponors (we know which will stay / which will go); the manager (needs to be supportive of this, at least in public even if he isn't); the chairman (we stronglt believe that everyone deserves a second chance. We know this will be difficult for everyone etc but we strongly believe its the right thing to do both morally and in football terms etc.).

If, as it appears, that the fact the PFA are not willing to support us in the press conference is a key reason for the wobble - then this should have been signed and sealed early on.

For the first time I am genuinely embarressed to be an Oldham Athletic fan today. I am in a moral quandry about the right and wrongs of the signing, but I would have hoped we would have the courage of our convictioons (excuse the pun) and go for it properly if that is what we had decided.

To be having an internal discussion in the full glare of the media is very very sad and depressing. And appears to be creating enough cracks that it may well spell the end of LJ's tenure, which is equally sad and depressing.

You're right, I wouldn't sign him but Corney obviously 100% wants to for it to have gotten so far. To then have this circus and bad PR (even if we back out now the club still look bad) on the day we were supposed to be signing him is very poor. I think that's the problem with the club being basically SC with Owen there to do what he's told - with more directors with clout on the board this would not have gotten so far - Corney needed some wise counsel over this and obviously didnt get any.

We are under no obligation to give a remorseful rapist said employment... So why should we ? What boxes does he tick for you ? He isn't even that good of a player.

That wasnt the argument but id wager if none of this had happened and we had signed him, you'd be saying 'great signing'.

He went to court... Found guilty

He appealed... Found guilty

He is GUILTY....

He now has two choices...

Accept this, show remorse, say sorry, change his attitude towards women and move on with his life.

OR

Go away, challenge and over turn the verdict, and THEN attempt to become a professional footballer again.

The currently chosen third option is a :censored:ing disaster and distasteful for all involved.

To stop saying its the same as Lee Hughes as its obviously a different situation.

Ex-:censored:ing-actly. It's absolutely mind boggling that people are still going after this 2nd chance thing and claiming it's the same as Hughes.

Evans could also try pleading for his followers to leave the :censored:ing victim alone rather than exposing her identity repeatedly. Instead of that his website bemoans not being able to use her sexual history against her in court.

How are we still involved in all this? Disgusting.

We are under no obligation to give a remorseful rapist said employment... So why should we ? What boxes does he tick for you ? He isn't even that good of a player.

You keep quoting your opinion, the mob will rule, what next for squeeky clean football CRB checks when you buy your season tickets ?

fully agree , as a supporter of 50 years i have seen many things happen and people come and go at BP.

I am not that bothered if we signed him or not as i would have supported the club throughout.

However this fiasco has left me wondering . What a complete shambles , all this should have been sorted before taking the decision to sign him or not.

Once taken that decision , if they wanted to sign him they should have gone ahead 100% committed.

Instead we now have a pantomime at BP that shows what an amateurish way the club is run.

Now after 50 years a latic i am ashamed to be associated with the club.

Based on the evidence of Lee Hughes, not a major factor.

Yeah probably not...

He is was of a standard where I would of thought it was a good signing. But that isn't the issue here...

My point about his abilities is he isn't SO good that you would risk everything to sign him.