In All Honesty

Having had time to digest what has been a horrendous few weeks, capped by a home loss to a poor side today, does anyone really believe we are still in with a shout of the play-offs?

I see people still mentioning it regularly on other threads and I find it unbelievable. When I observe the team playing over the past few weeks, it is obvious to a blind man with a stick that we are nowhere near good enough. We were reasonable for a little while and, in my opinion, something has then gone on which has really upset the apple cart. Personally, I suspect the departure of Paul Murray as first team coach has had a detrimental effect but I know others disagree.

Whatever the reason for our spectacular demise of late, it is very sad. Today was one absolute last chance to persuade a few floating supporters - and we failed again, as has so often been the case in the past.

Some of the football played today was as good as we have seen, a striker signed in January with an eye for goal may make a big difference

It obvious though that Forte isn't a front man, Ibhre won't score many and Philliskirk (for all his hard work) deliberates too long in trying to create an opening for himself..

Edited by BP1960

Controversial I know, but I would sell Forte ASAP. People may think he's some kind of striker on the basis of his goals tally to date - you are quite correct, however, in that he clearly isn't. I think teams have sussed him now i.e. gave him space to run into and he's dangerous - close mark him - totally ineffective. Ibehre is infuriating and clearly ain't going to score many goals - and I don't care if he holds the ball up well - so what? - for whom?

Need a clearout of ineffective strikers but I can't really see a way forward out of this rut at the mo

In reality we're not. We're only slipping down the table from now on. The Yeovil loss has ripped the confidence from the side and it's hard to see how we'll regain anything like the from that saw us make that run earlier.

There are too many sides around us that are on similar points tallies who can afford to strengthen in January. In all likelihood we will be weakened in that period with the customary outgoings.

Philliskirk, Winchester, Johnson and Forte is some creative line up but until we find someone who can put away the chances they create, we're pretenders. Sign a striker that scores and keep our best players then I'd reconsider. Even then the confidence issue could be difficult to rebuild.

Edited by NewBlue

The nature of our three consecutive league defeats has been particularly painful...

However, a lot of other teams have slipped up recently too - Blades and Notts County haven't won for a while.

Bradford have won three on the bounce and suddenly jumped right up there.

Chesterfield suddenly picked up after they lost three games in a row a while back too.

We're still only three points off.

The break early Jan may help us.

If LJ can work some magic in the window and we come good at the end of the season again, you never know.

However, a lot of other teams have slipped up recently too - Blades and Notts County haven't won for a while.

Bradford have won three on the bounce and suddenly jumped right up there.

Chesterfield suddenly picked up after they lost three games in a row a while back too.

This is something that I find optimism in, but the way in which we have slumped after that long unbeaten run, prompted only after defeat against the unbeaten league leaders, makes me doubt our ability to recover from absolute trouncing and humiliating losses. How much character does this team have if they couldn't even recover after losing for the first time in 15 against Bristol?

We have the players and creative talent - all we need is a striker and perhaps a goalkeeper in terms of personnel - but not sure if this team has the strength to ever regain form after the manner of the recent defeats.

This is something that I find optimism in, but the way in which we have slumped after that long unbeaten run, prompted only after defeat against the unbeaten league leaders, makes me doubt our ability to recover from absolute trouncing and humiliating losses. How much character does this team have if they couldn't even recover after losing for the first time in 15 against Bristol?

We have the players and creative talent - all we need is a striker and perhaps a goalkeeper in terms of personnel - but not sure if this team has the strength to ever regain form after the manner of the recent defeats.

It's true that the collapse in character has been startling.

But we're also probably even more down in the dumps because we were half expecting it, and, perhaps, it's 'typical Latics'.

At the end of the day it's just three games at the min!

Ifs and buts.. but if we'd have got that decision and won 2-1 today, suddenly, with our vocal following at Barnsley, things would suddenly be threatening to be on the up again.

With penalty decisions going against us (we're paying for fortuitous ones earlier this season for us perhaps) and then, just to top it off, they ping one in from 40 yards. It just a case of sod's flipping law, when it rains it pours.

We dust ourselves down, do our best not to lament because we're still in a miles better than position that we have been for many seasons, and keep working - the luck will change eventually, and momentum can swing very quickly in football.

We showed at the end of last season that you don't need to be some sort of wonder act at this level to average the two points a game mark that would push you into play-off contention. You just need to be solid at the back, always score at least one goal, and work and battle hard.

Last season LJ 'got back to basics' and crafted an unbeatable 4-1-4-1 out of a squad that looked like it could head for the drop after we got spanked at home by Rotherham and Preston.

But it's hard at our level to get it right every time, players at our level are always going to be a gamble. Unfortunately Poleon, for example, wasn't the gem it could have been.

But who knows, like JCH last season, LJ may be able to polish him and he'll come good - or he'll strike gold with another similar signing.

IceStationLatic - it's not 3 games mate - we've now lost 4 on the bounce - conceding 14 goals in the process and scoring one - you've got to be some optimist to just persist with the old 'dust ourselves down' comment after that recent run of results - you sound like a manager - lol !

A side that finishes in the top 6 would have ground out a win today, we've drawn too many games from winning positions to suggest we'll get the top 6. That said there is still a lot of Football to be played between now and May and I just hope we can turn recent form around, because the last 4 games have been the sort of results you get in relegation seasons. It could go either way really

A side that finishes in the top 6 would have ground out a win today, we've drawn too many games from winning positions to suggest we'll get the top 6. That said there is still a lot of Football to be played between now and May and I just hope we can turn recent form around, because the last 4 games have been the sort of results you get in relegation seasons. It could go either way really

Today certainly wasn't the performance of a team that needs to be worried about that.

At some point this season we'll find form again and get some wins, it all depends how early we can rediscover it as to whether we'll be up there.

I trust these players a lot more than last season's squad, let's see what LJ can add to it in January before we write it off.

IceStationLatic - it's not 3 games mate - we've now lost 4 on the bounce - conceding 14 goals in the process and scoring one - you've got to be some optimist to just persist with the old 'dust ourselves down' comment after that recent run of results - you sound like a manager - lol !

It's three league defeats isn't it... That's what I was referring too. My memory may be affected by the festive booze though...

But I think it's five overall in all comps if you include the penalties v Preston?

Yes it's a lot of goals but it's only been a few games rather than us losing 1-0 all the time and failing to win for 8-10 games.

There's still time for things to change and for us to remain in line to have, at the very least, an above-average season.

I reckon we'll see Chris Porter in the blue come January...

Just what we need. I said straight after the game that had we had Porter or a striker of his ilk instead of Ibehre he'd probably have scored a hat trick given the amount of times the ball flashed across the goal without our supposed striker within 5 yards.

With Daniel Johnson (I expect him to leave, that being said), Winchester, Philly and Forte we have creative players that will put the ball in the right areas. They did it enough times against Crewe for us to win by a distance.

Until the Preston JPT game we were doing alright, in fact we were doing very well, with wins and all those draws and ended up in sixth place. Other teams started to notice and our players and manager started to think we can do better than this, we just have to turn some of those draws into wins. Paddy Kenny and Johnson come in and all looked well for two games BUT the draws were then turned into abject failure against Yeovil and MK Dons. The three league one losses now make it very difficult to get back to sixth even if we can find the pre Preston form. Loss at Barnsley will cement this squad, as depleted by the end of January due to increasingly tight FFP salary constraints, in a mid to low table finish (I'm not going to mention the R word).