Feb'15 - Fans, Question, Suggestions, Support

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. it is to ensure the survival of OAFC if the owner walks away. - this aim is not something that works in the non-event of the owner walking away

2. To protect the overall interests of the fans - this is nebulous and therefore has no direct measurable outcome

3.To ensure financial security/growth and to help put the club if we can. - this is a duplication of what the club does. It doesn't give the trust any unique position

if this is the basis of the aims, then the trust has little that the fans can measure success by when the owner stays in place. hence why fans have dis-engaged and the trust has ended up feeding false information.

who has decided these aims? can fans decide on new aims and new purpose(s) for the trust?

In my personal opinion that seat on the board is vital for the future workings of the trust. It gives us that link to club officials and we are able to see things are being done correctly at board level, especially with the new make-up of the board!

It will take a long while before Due Diligence is a selling point. My thoughts are that it would be far better if the Trust appointee kept it simple and reminded the Board of general fans opinions. All of them. The owners will then take their view anyway, as they can. Mr Corney isn't stupid and he might wish he'd been better advised in recent weeks. It doesn't need someone to go into a fight every week.

It will take a long while before Due Diligence is a selling point. My thoughts are that it would be far better if the Trust appointee kept it simple and reminded the Board of general fans opinions. All of them. The owners will then take their view anyway, as they can. Mr Corney isn't stupid and he might wish he'd been better advised in recent weeks. It doesn't need someone to go into a fight every week.

I agree. That's exactly what i mean about avoiding politics

The 4 year term thing seems very excessive but I understand the need for term longer than a year. Surely 2 or 3 year terms would be long enough and allow for a more democratic and dynamic environment. A person could, once elected, only have to face 'the fans' once in 8 years, for me that could create the same problems we have now.

kept it simple and reminded the Board of general fans opinions. All of them.

And next up Mr Corney is fan opinion 1345. He believes in demolishing the Chadderton Road End and rebuilding a statue of David Eyres in its place, he also thinks the club should start selling branded iPods.

And we take it to a vote. 6 against. And we move on.

Number 1346....

Come to the meeting on monday real and have your input.

He just did have his input, didn't he?

Why does he have to come to a meeting?

The first thing you need to change if you want, as you claim you do, more people to get involved with the Trust is this dinosauric attitude that an opinion isn't worthy unless it's expressed verbally at a meeting.

This is how I would like the trust to progress:-

There has to be a real benefit to joining the trust and for that the club would have to play a more active role with the trust.

The club need to canvass the trust members on actual (yet small) decisions within the club, such as a polling trust members on new kit design, after all it's us who buys it.

The trust should hold regular socials including an AGM where board members and members of the management and playing staff attend to answer questions from the baying mob. This could be at reduced cost or free to members and at a cost to non-members.

Second dibs on Liverpool tickets, after season ticket holders.

This is bit is going to take a bit more willing and flexibility on the clubs part. Offers for trust member from the club such as a one off 10% off voucher for the club shop and small discounts on away travel or free away travel to one game, maybe even a small discount season tickets!!

I understand that the club might not be open to ideas that actually lose them money, but having a well run trust with some tangible benefits to membership might actually increase the clubs income over time.

He just did have his input, didn't he?

Why does he have to come to a meeting?

The first thing you need to change if you want, as you claim you do, more people to get involved with the Trust is this dinosauric attitude that an opinion isn't worthy unless it's expressed verbally at a meeting.

I agree. I'd love to come to the meeting (God knows I've got one or two things I'd like to get off my chest) but I'll be working, 250 miles away.

As i said (think it may have been in the other thread) you are welcome to post on here, engage via twitter or email.

My personal opinion though is to really debate about what is being said you are better being there in person. I appreciate this isn't possible for everyone and if anyone would like a phone conversation or to meet me at any time convenient to yourself then you only have to drop me a message.

This is how I would like the trust to progress:-

There has to be a real benefit to joining the trust and for that the club would have to play a more active role with the trust.

The club need to canvass the trust members on actual (yet small) decisions within the club, such as a polling trust members on new kit design, after all it's us who buys it.

The trust should hold regular socials including an AGM where board members and members of the management and playing staff attend to answer questions from the baying mob. This could be at reduced cost or free to members and at a cost to non-members.

Second dibs on Liverpool tickets, after season ticket holders.

This is bit is going to take a bit more willing and flexibility on the clubs part. Offers for trust member from the club such as a one off 10% off voucher for the club shop and small discounts on away travel or free away travel to one game, maybe even a small discount season tickets!!

I understand that the club might not be open to ideas that actually lose them money, but having a well run trust with some tangible benefits to membership might actually increase the clubs income over time.

Not sure I agree. The above sounds like the purpose of a fan club, not a trust. Granted, the fan club was abolished, and the trust seems to be moving more in that direction, but in my view the two should be separate.

Only way you are getting more people there in person is by holding the meetings on home matchdays.

In a pub...

Less formal, people can come along just to listen if they want with less pressure to speak than there would be in one of the suites at BP (not that there necessarily is but I imagine it would feel that way).

Start it at 12 so those who need one have an excuse to get out of the house an hour earlier for important club business :grin:

Edited by HarryBosch

Not sure I agree. The above sounds like the purpose of a fan club, not a trust. Granted, the fan club was abolished, and the trust seems to be moving more in that direction, but in my view the two should be separate.

In my view the primary purpose of a Trust is to represent the fans. Without a decent level of engagement, it will fail to do this. The average fans isn't that bothered about politics so there needs to be other reasons for fans to get involved. Trade Unions offer benefits, offers, discounts for example.

Also, having a seperate Trust and Fan Club would also mean two sets of duplicated admin costs within a dwindling fan base. I don't think that is a sustainable model.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

As i said (think it may have been in the other thread) you are welcome to post on here, engage via twitter or email.

My personal opinion though is to really debate about what is being said you are better being there in person. I appreciate this isn't possible for everyone and if anyone would like a phone conversation or to meet me at any time convenient to yourself then you only have to drop me a message.

As Harry said, could you try having a meeting on a matchday?

In my view the primary purpose of a Trust is to represent the fans. Without a decent level of engagement, it will fail to do this. The average fans isn't that bothered about politics so there needs to be other reasons for fans to get involved. Trade Unions offer benefits, offers, discounts for example.

Also, having a seperate Trust and Fan Club would also mean two sets of duplicated admin costs within a dwindling fan base. I don't think that is a sustainable model.

Regular quiz nights, an audience with........'s, negotiate discounts with Latics friendly pubs, restaurants and businesses for card carrying members, build up a warchest in case it's ever needed, just generally be organised so next time Barry tries to sign a wrong un fan opinion can be put forward to the club quickly & clearly....

Go to board meetings, tell us (within reason) what was said....

I believe there is a university/college qualification in Football Administration nowadays - what about the new Trust Chairman being somebody able to take this course and funds being raised to pay for it (i've no idea if it's even worth the paper it would be written on or how much it costs, just a suggestion.....)

With regards to a quiz night - something like this should be made a regular monthly thing, eg, first Wednesday of every month.

Informal.

Trust representatives on hand from an hour before it starts & throughout the night if anybody wants a chat or to ask or suggest something.... The odd appearance from a current or ex player or manager or staff member...

Entry fee per team, half to the winners, half to the Trust coffers.

Once it's arranged it's done & would quickly become common knowledge and a habit people could get into.... I probably would.

Match days are abit difficult due to differnt board members having different commitments and pibs tending to be a bit busier. There would be no rooms at the club to use either and club staff would be unavailable.

Monthly quizes have been mentioned and i feel are a good idea. If anyone has the time to help arrange this then feel free to get in touch because that is on our to do list.