Boundary Park before the Lookers was built - video

The keeper used to wear a cap to keep the sun out of his eyes - it was sunnier back in the day! Nowadays the keeper probably wears a baseball cap all the time, except when playing in goal.

True, Also the keepers didn't wear gloves even in the depth of winter, now they wear gloves in August.

I seem to recollect the specials were Oldham corporation buses, but might be wrong.

The 409 was number 9 back then, I still remember the old Main telephone prefix number for the ground (it still works today)

I remember them being regular corporation buses.

I used to catch one just off Ashton Rd almost opposite the top of Park Rd (no roundabout then).

Edited by laticsrblue

Have to agree with BP, these videos deny the myth that footballs better,quicker and more skilful nowadays... I was really impressed with the standard of those 3 clips and how similar it is to the games today, no better or worse

Conversely, I'd fancy my Sunday league side to give both of those teams a decent game. Within 10 seconds you've got a botched kick off and a full back who can't find the ball.

Conversely, I'd fancy my Sunday league side to give both of those teams a decent game. Within 10 seconds you've got a botched kick off and a full back who can't find the ball.

Having seen both, I would fancy that Latics team to beat the current team easily.

When a player passed it back, the keeper was not allowed to move from the spot he had picked it up from and had 3 seconds to kick it out of his hands. I do believe the changes were made due to italia 90

My recollection is that a goalkeeper didn't have a time limit (although could concede an indirect free kick if the referee deemed time wasting was at work) but was only allowed four steps before he had to release the ball.

The introduction of the back pass rule was one of FIFA's better changes to the interpretation of the laws of the game, alongside the rarely enforced six second rule.

Less successful changes include forcing a player to leave the field of play if they received physio attention. This was to penalise time wasters but also penalised teams being awarded free kicks for blatant fouls.

Goal kicks used to have to be taken from the side of the six yard box where the ball exited the field of play. In order to speed up the game FIFA decided to allow goal kicks to be taken from either side of the six yard box. Far more time is now wasted by goalkeepers restarting play by taking the ball to the side of the six yard box furthest away.

It was brought in, as has been said, in 1992 after the time wasting in the 90 World Cup. Yet , certainly it's my recollection, football wasn't boring or negative before . It's not as though loads of matches ended scoreless or with few goals. Now there may be a range of reasons but goals were a plenty when back passes were allowed.

FWIW the backpass rule came into effect after Euro 92, where the Russians (or CIS as they were that year) played for 3 0-0 draws in the group stage, still only 2 points for a win in major championships, with some very negative football. This often meant that the team passed it back to the GK from inside the opposition half.

Arguably the earliest beneficiaries in the Premier League, were us. As Dave Beasant, kicked a back-pass straight to Nick Henry who side-footed it into an unguarded net on the opening day at Stamford Bridge.

This link shows some of the finest back-passes http://www.theguardian.com/sport/football-cliches/2014/jan/28/memory-legal-backpasses-jones-souness-dixon

One rule I would change now would be that when a team is awarded a free kick or penalty they shoulda be able to take it as soon as they like. Don't see why the offending team should get the right to take as long as they want organising a wall, marking up etc.

Edited by Dave_Og

One rule I would change now would be that when a team is awarded a free kick or penalty they shoulda be able to take it as soon as they like. Don't see why the offending team should get the right to take as long as they want organising a wall, marking up etc.

Another rule change I would like to see:if a player has received treatment on the pitch as a result of a serious foul (for which a free-kick has been awarded to his team) then he does not have to leave the pitch. Open to abuse I know but it does seem harsh that the side that has been offended against is penalised with the player having to rejoin from the sideline. Edited by TheBigDog

Another rule change I would like to see:if a player has received treatment on the pitch as a result of a serious foul (for which a free-kick has been awarded to his team) then he does not have to leave the pitch. Open to abuse I know but it does seem harsh that the side that has been offended against is penalised with the player having to rejoin from the sideline.

Maybe the player who committed the foul shoud leave the pitch as well for the lenght of the time that the apparently onjured player has to be off?

I think the rule was well based but football is so cynical that whatever new rule is brought in is immediately open to abuse.

Temporary substitutions- for head injuries and cuts, especially if after foul play. Allows for proper treatment and assessment, prevents faking of head injuries and like above means that the team who commits the foul doesn't get a temporary player advantage.

Another rule change I would like to see:if a player has received treatment on the pitch as a result of a serious foul (for which a free-kick has been awarded to his team) then he does not have to leave the pitch. Open to abuse I know but it does seem harsh that the side that has been offended against is penalised with the player having to rejoin from the sideline.

The physios come and go as they please during Bulldogs so I can't see why it can't happen in football. Lie down as often as you like, it's your loss, and no problems with unsportsmanlike behaviour over kicking it out. Only thing to watch for is the players don't suddenly enter play when not expected and gain advantage.