Boundary Park before the Lookers was built - video

It is a great bit of archive film. The old Broadway side was much less deep than the Ford Stand and you could walk round the back of it to swap ends at half time.

Love the crowds walking down Sheepfoot Lane, people used to get off the football special buses from Shaw, Middleton etc outside Boundary Park Hospital and flock down.

And the replica of that shirt used to be available from TOFFS, I got one a few years back.

It is a great bit of archive film. The old Broadway side was much less deep than the Ford Stand and you could walk round the back of it to swap ends at half time....

...or to get behind the other goal if Latics lost the toss.

And the replica of that shirt used to be available from TOFFS, I got one a few years back.

With the badge as illustrated for 1951-54 but alas no longer available.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

And from 1965/6, again in the 'definitive' kit; (Latics current full backs, note Bob Ledger's measured up and unders coming down with snow on them, which used to cause panic in opposition defences, a tactic you rarely see today.

This game to me belies the myth football was a lot slower in the old days and the players weren't as fit back then.

Part1

Part2

Part3

Part4

Part5

Edited by BP1960

Quick question. Who was it that laid on all the football special buses from all the local areas? Was it the club?

Oldham Corporation Passenger Transport Department did it as part of public service. Latics provided free admission for each bus driver and conductor, who left at three-quarter time to be back on their vehicles ready for the post-match rush.

Did they used to allow keepers to pick up back passes?

Have to agree with BP, these videos deny the myth that footballs better,quicker and more skilful nowadays... I was really impressed with the standard of those 3 clips and how similar it is to the games today, no better or worse

Wow, never knew that! Reckon it was massively beneficial or?

I believe the backpass was outlawed in order to stop boring time-wasting tactics. A team winning 1-0 could just send the ball to the keeper and he could pick it up and wander around bouncing it for a bit. This came after the wonderfully boring 1990 world cup.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone who wasn't still in nappies at the time though.

When a player passed it back, the keeper was not allowed to move from the spot he had picked it up from and had 3 seconds to kick it out of his hands. I do believe the changes were made due to italia 90

keepers very rarley kicked the ball off the ground like now they always picked it up and most prefered to do that than have a goal kick, Hallworth and Barrett used to do that alot and Hallworth would lauch it as soon as he had it. Short pass out of the box, one touch back, picj and launch high down field....

keepers can move around the area now with the ball which was also the case in the 60s and 70s I think?

watch some of the famous cup run in the 90s, the lst minute goal against Southampton at the Dell, perfect example

Edited by palmer1

I believe the backpass was outlawed in order to stop boring time-wasting tactics. A team winning 1-0 could just send the ball to the keeper and he could pick it up and wander around bouncing it for a bit. This came after the wonderfully boring 1990 world cup.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone who wasn't still in nappies at the time though.

You are correct. Also when Liverpool had a great team, including Hansen and Lawrenson, they would use the backpass tactic to kill off the opposition.

Abuse of the pass back was rife in domestic football as well. For all their attacking skill the great Liverpool team of the 80s would forever roll it to a full back and back to the keeper time and again. The keeper could stand over it for as long as he wanted until a forward came to make him pick it up. It's one of the few rule changes I agree with.

Quick question. Who was it that laid on all the football special buses from all the local areas? Was it the club?

I seem to recollect the specials were Oldham corporation buses, but might be wrong.

The 409 was number 9 back then, I still remember the old Main telephone prefix number for the ground (it still works today)

Edited by BP1960

Did they used to allow keepers to pick up back passes?

Have to agree with BP, these videos deny the myth that footballs better,quicker and more skilful nowadays... I was really impressed with the standard of those 3 clips and how similar it is to the games today, no better or worse

And considering the state of the pitches they played on back then some of todays players wouldn't last beyond half time.

There was always a good rest during a game though as a dog would always run on to the pitch and take 10 minutes to be caught (only to reappear later).

Edited by BP1960