Ambitious manager, unambitious club

Haha when they applied they probably thought the chance of managing a championship club...now the chance of a bottom league club...I imagine there have been some withdrawals of applications

If that's a case, good riddance! Applicants need to be aware of the reality of managing a club like Latics. If they get scared by a dip in form taking us to mid-table, God help them if they actually got the job!

My feeling is that too much 'ambition' is tied up with the new stand so that the opportunity which presented itself this season was the wrong time and ignored. In keeping with the January madness they have either messed up appointing a manager or have somebody who can't start until the end of the season which is late May if a Prem player.

What makes it look like there is no ambition is that in fact there is no ambition this season. What makes it worse is that we are so often kept in the dark. We are promised ambition in the future - either promotion from league 2 (!) or hopefully league 1. This has become a season to forget. I hope the low turn out Tuesday is noted.

Jesus, Holden has the job as they've clearly picked their man but can't get him until the summer. Holdens record is woeful so to think its because they cant decide on all the candidates is utter nonsense.

For me it adds legs to the current player story but personally i think its Dowie and his tv deal. We won't be able to entice any decent mangers away from a club. Any unemployed ones we'd have hired if we fancied them straight away.

Good point.

I think Swansea do it right, have a philosophy about how you want to play, how you want to do things, and pick the manager accordingly.

We were on the right path with Johnson, another one like him is the requirement.

I was going to mention Swansea, but they have invested in a set up where it's not a huge deal if a few people leave, whoever you are. I can't see the numbers stacking up at our level

Swansea have had investment from local/national government for their stadium; money from some very, very rich fans- the big spender down there is worth £150 million, a lot more than the Landlords here.

Yes, they have invested that money well and have created a philosophy at the club but they've had some very extraordinary investment that we do not have nor are we likely to get.

Aye, I'm not suggesting we can do what they've done, having a clear vision and getting the people in place to implement it is the way to go for us though.

Johnson and his crew were showing signs of doing it right, attracting young players and giving them the platform to play, knowing if they do well they can move on in 12-18 months with the club making decent money on them.