Ambitious manager, unambitious club

Not about Lee Johnson, but if you were an ambitious young manager would you apply for a job at a self evidently unambitious club stuck in mediocracy? If you took the job and then realised a club didn't match your expectations would you look to move? Whoever comes in is going to soon find out how draining the negativity around OAFC can be.

Hopefully, the next ambitious young manager would have the desire to prove his worth to his employer.

He should be willing to display the attributes that got him the job in the first place.Man management, motivational skills and the knowledge gained from his coaching qualifications.

Oldham Athletic is a dream job for that young manager!

Not about Lee Johnson, but if you were an ambitious young manager would you apply for a job at a self evidently unambitious club stuck in mediocracy? If you took the job and then realised a club didn't match your expectations would you look to move? Whoever comes in is going to soon find out how draining the negativity around OAFC can be.

The unambitious tag is a bit harsh.We tried to get Scholes, then Dowie. As both did not work out, we'll have to go the Johnson template.

Edited by singe

Symbiotic relationship but when only 2445 people can be arsed to go to the game what's the point in having ambitions? Yes you can say that the attendance was affected by the appointment of Holden but even if we'd appointed Lazarus we'd have struggled to break the 3000 mark last night.

It would be part of his job do replace that negativity with positivity - Johnson managed it apart from his last few weeks and that period when we were trying to sign a rapist

Indeed. Note to future manager - when doing well don't try and sign the dregs of society.

In fact, that goes for when doing poorly as well.

Symbiotic relationship but when only 2445 people can be arsed to go to the game what's the point in having ambitions? Yes you can say that the attendance was affected by the appointment of Holden but even if we'd appointed Lazarus we'd have struggled to break the 3000 mark last night.

I do feel, as some else said, 7 games this month, Easter at the end of the month. It is inevitable that some will pick and choose and MKDons is the obvious one.

Of course, we could appoint someone next week still.

Hopefully, the next ambitious young manager would have the desire to prove his worth to his employer.

He should be willing to display the attributes that got him the job in the first place.Man management, motivational skills and the knowledge gained from his coaching qualifications.

Oldham Athletic is a dream job for that young manager!

Then we sell him.

Then we sell him.

In our current situation there are two likely scenarios for our manager

He does well and moves onto a better place within two years max.

He does badly we move him on within two years max.

I cannot envisage a scenario where we get the opportunity to build some stability/momentum over any extended period of time and that sort of scenario is the only one which we have had any form of success with during my nigh on 50 years as a Latics fan.

I cannot envisage a scenario where we get the opportunity to build some stability/momentum over any extended period of time and that sort of scenario is the only one which we have had any form of success with during my nigh on 50 years as a Latics fan.

Its :censored:ing soul destroying.

The same goes for most other clubs though, which levels the playing field a bit.

One thing Corney should be doing at the moment with all that in mind is not only recruiting the next manager but keeping a shortlist for the one after that aswell....

I do agree except about the fact that losing a manager who does well within 2 years is inevitable. Get the stand up and a new board of directors/owners to take the club on and then I believe we can keep hold of a manager and players instead of losing them to league 1 clubs who we should be competing against.

Exactly the same with players people are fed up with this new team every year or so syndrome

From a new managers point of view we're also a good option as, Penney aside, we can demonstrate a track record of giving Sheridan and Dickov pretty much 3 years each - more time than they would have got at many other clubs.

Similar applies with the contract extension we gave Johnson.

From a new managers point of view we're also a good option as, Penney aside, we can demonstrate a track record of giving Sheridan and Dickov pretty much 3 years each - more time than they would have got at many other clubs.

Similar applies with the contract extension we gave Johnson.

We were a good option. Evans-gate has probably made a few managers think twice.

The same goes for most other clubs though, which levels the playing field a bit.

One thing Corney should be doing at the moment with all that in mind is not only recruiting the next manager but keeping a shortlist for the one after that aswell....

Good point.

I think Swansea do it right, have a philosophy about how you want to play, how you want to do things, and pick the manager accordingly.

We were on the right path with Johnson, another one like him is the requirement.

Good point.

I think Swansea do it right, have a philosophy about how you want to play, how you want to do things, and pick the manager accordingly.

We were on the right path with Johnson, another one like him is the requirement.

Good points.

We can track those that seem to have the philosphy. Even keep tabs on them and a dialogue.

I'd much rather Barry do that than spend his time dealing HMP Service.

There is bound to be half a dozen of the 130 that impress but aren't quite ready.

Edited by singe

if anything is making managers think twice it will be that they were applying for a potential play-off pushing team whereas now its a relegation fight!

Just got to hope now that it is actually a plan. Its important tho that if this is the case that we have got it sorted, if at least privately, within a month because realisticly that is when next season starts. Can't be cobbling a squad together late may.

For all my recent disdain at my percieved conduct of SC, I still back him. I belive he is always learning and would have picked up stuff from LJ. The proof will be seen in the contracts handed out over the next few months. The reasonably lengthy (by our standards) one given to The Winch shows promise.