Oldham 3-0 Rochdale

I have watched it again and still think that you are wrong, sorry! One of their centre backs behind the first man makes a move towards covering Winchester and a gap opens up so Turner walks through it then another gap opens and he walks through that too then the Goalie stays on his line.............................GOAL

I've just watched it a gazillion times more and I have no idea what you are talking about.

At the point that Turner should have played Winchester in, nobody picks him up at all. People continue to not pick Winchester up thereafter. Turner has no serious expectation, at the point of opting not to play Winchester in, that a gap would open up. The gap doesn't appear until the point that the number 22 sticks out a leg to block the shot that he thinks is coming. By then the ball should have already been played much earlier.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just watched it a gazillion times more and I have no idea what you are talking about.

At the point that Turner should have played Winchester in, nobody picks him up at all. People continue to not pick Winchester up thereafter. Turner has no serious expectation, at the point of opting not to play Winchester in, that a gap would open up. The gap doesn't appear until the point that the number 22 sticks out a leg to block the shot that he thinks is coming. By then the ball should have already been played much earlier.

Don't worry so much about it.

Says something about me that it really was the highlight of the game, 3-0 against Dale, I was giving my Dale supporting brother in law a lift home afterwards and the best bit was our defender winding up one of their players. And then he did it again. We've all heard the stories about VInnie Jones, Dennis Wise nipping players whilst "helping them to their feet" other players 'getting to the opposition' and in their heads but it has been a while since we've had anyone doing it.

I'm all for ball playing centre backs spraying the ball 60 yards to our winger's feet to put us on the fast counter but we are 3rd division and need long in the tooth nasty bastards using the old footballing dark arts to gain us an advantage.

Recall us playing Barnsley at BP a few years ago when Erysey was in his majestic pomp. I have a few friends who are Barnsley fans, with connections to the club, and there was a young teenager making one of his first starts playing fullback against our David.

Apparently as well as turning him inside out for most of the game when he had the ball, he spent the rest of the time sledging him when he didn't have the ball - had an impact on the player apparently and did a whole lot of damage to his confidence that took a while to recover from.

Maybe you could contact the Football League and ask them to disallow it and/or replay the game.... Edited by HarryBosch

Recall us playing Barnsley at BP a few years ago when Erysey was in his majestic pomp. I have a few friends who are Barnsley fans, with connections to the club, and there was a young teenager making one of his first starts playing fullback against our David.

Apparently as well as turning him inside out for most of the game when he had the ball, he spent the rest of the time sledging him when he didn't have the ball - had an impact on the player apparently and did a whole lot of damage to his confidence that took a while to recover from.

Team Apps (Gls)

19891993 Blackpool. 147 (656)

19931997 Burnley 171 (37)

19972000 Preston North End. 89 (20)

20002006 Oldham Athletic 181 (33)

2006 Liverpool 9 (2)

20062007 Mossley 23 (5)

2008 Hednesford Town 3 (0)

Total 623. (753)

Anyone else seen this on his Wikipedia page?

I'd much rather watch players that use instinct and individual skill rather than ones that play the percentages. If you've got the ability and the confidence then go for it. Which he did. And scored. Let players with less ability have the instinct coached out of them.

We have a 19 year old striker who is playing with some confidence now he is getting a run of games. He has scored 3 goals in 3 games, all very different but all counting the same.

Are some of you really complaining that he should have passed the ball to Winchester? If he had been crowded out and lost the ball, then fair enough that you whinge about it, but he had the confidence to go for it when he saw the gap open up and he scored. This should be applauded.

All of those moaning, get a grip. I'd much prefer someone be a bit greedy now and again and score. It won't happen all the time but give the kid credit for going for it.

Are the people whinging about him not passing to Winchester also going to criticise Winchester for not passing to Murphy instead of going it alone at Scunthorpe?

We have a 19 year old striker who is playing with some confidence now he is getting a run of games. He has scored 3 goals in 3 games, all very different but all counting the same.

Are some of you really complaining that he should have passed the ball to Winchester? If he had been crowded out and lost the ball, then fair enough that you whinge about it, but he had the confidence to go for it when he saw the gap open up and he scored. This should be applauded.

All of those moaning, get a grip. I'd much prefer someone be a bit greedy now and again and score. It won't happen all the time but give the kid credit for going for it.

Are the people whinging about him not passing to Winchester also going to criticise Winchester for not passing to Murphy instead of going it alone at Scunthorpe?

Winchester should have passed for that too. You seem to imply a hypocrisy where none exists.

And it's only me "moaning" (or stating an opinion) and everyone arguing the toss against me. I'd much rather players played with common sense and intelligence that be greedy bastards. That is the only point I am making. Apparently though, according to some, footballing IQ and logical decision making is something to be discouraged.

I'd much rather watch players that use instinct and individual skill rather than ones that play the percentages. If you've got the ability and the confidence then go for it. Which he did. And scored. Let players with less ability have the instinct coached out of them.

I'd rather they had used that instinct to make intelligent choices. If they are playing for us at least.

I'd rather they had used that instinct to make intelligent choices. If they are playing for us at least.

By that score Maradona wouldn't have scored THAT goal against us in 86 (or the majority of his goals) as the statistically correct thing to do would probably be a pass at some point. If it was a CB dribbling out of our area at 0-0 that eventually lead to us scoring then you might have a point, but a young striker in the box when we're 2-0 up having a dribble himself is fair enough.

If every footballer based their choices on statistical probability it'd be a fooking boring game to watch. And besides, it does look on the vid like the defender shapes to block the pass to Winchester which could have made it not as easy as you're making out to pass to him.

By that score Maradona wouldn't have scored THAT goal against us in 86 (or the majority of his goals) as the statistically correct thing to do would probably be a pass at some point.

If it had been Maradonna on the on the pitch instead of Turner, That would change the odds somewhat.

If it was a CB dribbling out of our area at 0-0 that eventually lead to us scoring then you might have a point, but a young striker in the box when we're 2-0 up having a dribble himself is fair enough.

Perhaps. Although I'd sooner that the game was a bit safer before we stop playing as a team.

And besides, it does look on the vid like the defender shapes to block the pass to Winchester which could have made it not as easy as you're making out to pass to him.

He shapes to block a shot. And in any case it was after the point when Winchester should have been released.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

If it had been Maradonna on the on the pitch instead of Turner, That would change the odds somewhat.

Perhaps. Although I'd sooner that the game was a bit safer before we stop playing as a team.

He shapes to block a shot. And in any case it was after the point when Winchester should have been released.

I think you're wrong but I admire your persistence! From Turner in the Chron... “Winch (Carl Winchester) ran on the outside, which made the defender’s mind up. He gave me a yard and I went for it,”

I think that's fair enough.