Oldham 3-0 Rochdale

The problem is if you coach that greedy instinct out of a natural striker you end up with just another forward player who's first instinct is to pass ....................then we end up with pass pass pass chance gone

I don't see why coaching greedy instincts out of players has to result in over playing it.

I'm just talking about intelligent decision making.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wishing to be over critical of the lad, but I hope Turner gets a bollocking for the third goal. He should have played Winchester in.

He got really lucky that the Rochdale defenders made it so easy for him to get so close on his own.

Cannibal.gif

Skilfully avoided the valid point Clifford made there about the defender's body weight in your picture and the next frame on the video.

I have no intention of addressing an argument from a guy who just wants a mud slinging match. It's not interesting to me.

With that said nothing he wrote in the the first paragraph was coherent enough for me to respond to.

To address what you have just said, I maintain that nothing I have said is refuted by any slight shifts in body weight. The throughball was very much on for Winchester, and Turner either had alot of work do or he needed some luck to go it alone. Or both as was the case in the end.

Full back sees the Belfast Messi coming through, he only needs to shift his weight (he's doing that in your pic) and Turner can beat him with ease. Defender needed to go for the ball or the Belfast Messi and did neither hence Turner beating him easily.

Anyone who has played at a decent level will know that. I find most people who bleat on about being coaches don't know anything about actually playing the game.

Unless this is a wind up then well played. If not your a moron and god help anyone you 'coach'.

If they can teach goal poaching they've not done a very good job of it here in the last couple of years. Keep Turner buzzing about the penalty area and let his instincts do the rest.

Edited by BP1960

Team Apps (Gls)

19891993 Blackpool. 147 (656)

19931997 Burnley 171 (37)

19972000 Preston North End. 89 (20)

20002006 Oldham Athletic 181 (33)

2006 Liverpool 9 (2)

20062007 Mossley 23 (5)

2008 Hednesford Town 3 (0)

Total 623. (753)

Anyone else seen this on his Wikipedia page?

Nice :coffee1:

Surprised Liverpool did not buy him in 1993 for a few million :clint:

Team Apps (Gls)

19891993 Blackpool. 147 (656)

19931997 Burnley 171 (37)

19972000 Preston North End. 89 (20)

20002006 Oldham Athletic 181 (33)

2006 Liverpool 9 (2)

20062007 Mossley 23 (5)

2008 Hednesford Town 3 (0)

Total 623. (753)

Anyone else seen this on his Wikipedia page?

In non league until 25yo, he figured out himself his own style of play, his unique drag back was a joy to watch, and he was still getting away with it at 40yo.

In non league until 25yo, he figured out himself his own style of play, his unique drag back was a joy to watch, and he was still getting away with it at 40yo.

One of my all time favourite players to pull on the shirt.

The cry of "Go on Erysey lad" in a broad Oldham accent from an old chap behind me every time he got the ball summed up what he did - got fans excited.

Edited by Scapegoat

Pages of unnecessary grief here as both positions are tenable. Internet really does bring all things down to 'diametrically opposed', doesn't it?

Of course the goal was great and I'm sure PhilStarbucksSilkySkills enjoyed it as much as anyone. And I bet that on the spur of the moment, instinct kicked in and the wide pass to Winchester was lost from Turner's thought-process.

But it's an absolute truth that decision making which encompasses maximum statistical success rate will lead to greatest success - and that applies in all walks of life. If every Latics player was coached to make the 'right' decision all the time, we would finish the season significantly higher up the table than otherwise and the football would certainly be anything but boring as success brings with it excitement.

This is the point which I think PhilStarbucksSilkySkills is trying to make and I think it's a valid point..

Pages of unnecessary grief here as both positions are tenable. Internet really does bring all things down to 'diametrically opposed', doesn't it?

Of course the goal was great and I'm sure PhilStarbucksSilkySkills enjoyed it as much as anyone. And I bet that on the spur of the moment, instinct kicked in and the wide pass to Winchester was lost from Turner's thought-process.

But it's an absolute truth that decision making which encompasses maximum statistical success rate will lead to greatest success - and that applies in all walks of life. If every Latics player was coached to make the 'right' decision all the time, we would finish the season significantly higher up the table than otherwise and the football would certainly be anything but boring as success brings with it excitement.

This is the point which I think PhilStarbucksSilkySkills is trying to make and I think it's a valid point..

Thankyou. Someone who gets it. Good post. :)

If every player in the league was coached to make the right decision all the time why would we finish any higher?

I have no intention of addressing an argument from a guy who just wants a mud slinging match. It's not interesting to me.

With that said nothing he wrote in the the first paragraph was coherent enough for me to respond to.

To address what you have just said, I maintain that nothing I have said is refuted by any slight shifts in body weight. The throughball was very much on for Winchester, and Turner either had alot of work do or he needed some luck to go it alone. Or both as was the case in the end.

You're full of :censored:, coach.

I don't see why coaching greedy instincts out of players has to result in over playing it.

I'm just talking about intelligent decision making.

I can see the benefit of coaching a striker in build up play outside the box. But once in and around goal instinctive strikers should be encouraged to be just that, instinctive and greedy.

If every player in the league was coached to make the right decision all the time why would we finish any higher?

If every player in the league was coached to make the right decision all the time, then we wouldn't finish any higher. I'm assuming a case where we do it and the other teams don't.

I can see the benefit of coaching a striker in build up play outside the box. But once in and around goal instinctive strikers should b

e encouraged to be just that, instinctive and greedy.

Did we coach the goals out of Philliskirk?

Whatever people. It's a good job none of you are coaches.

I was a coach and did abit of scouting for another league 1 club till last season. Never in a million years would you tell a striker not to go himself they are drilled to be greedy which if they are any good produces good finishers and players who are confident striking the ball. The comment to pass wouldn't even get brought up in the analysis.

I was a coach and did abit of scouting for another league 1 club till last season. Never in a million years would you tell a striker not to go himself they are drilled to be greedy which if they are any good produces good finishers and players who are confident striking the ball. The comment to pass wouldn't even get brought up in the analysis.

I seem to have found a soul mate.

The only issue with having centre forwards who play for....and indeed move for their own goal return around the pitch, is that its misguided to suggest there is not a negative impact of that selfishness.

I actually felt that Turner didn't see Winchesters run on Tuesday....or at the very least, didn't control the ball into a position from which he felt that he could have released it at the time required. Consequently he checked inside and the space opened from there!!

In turn, for Winchesters brilliant strike at Scunny, the pace with which he carried the ball.....and the position of the defender relative to the run of Murphy, opened up the space to allow his run and finish.

However in both goals, the third man runner from midfield (Winchester on Tuesday and Murphy at Scunny) helped to open the space for the strike at goal. If the player in possession of the ball NEVER releases the ball however, how long will those runs continue to be made?

One of the many qualities that distinguish Luis Suarez as an attacking player rather than simply a striker is his willingness to create chances for others through his movement and creation of space. It means the partnerships with those playing alongside and around him are significantly strengthened, and often lead to both arriving on the scoresheet.

There are occasions when goalscorers can harm their teams if they unbalance them. Didn't Ravenelli score 20 goals plus in a 'Boro team who got relegated? Likewise, Lukas Podolski did similar at Koln, and the selfishness in his game has led to his failings at Bayern and Arsenal?

Ultimately it is a team game, and although I am not convinced that it is relevant for Winchester or Turner.....there are times when any striker should release the ball - and there is a cost (20 goals or otherwise) if they don't!!

I am glad that someone else has mentioned Suarez because in a different context I was saying to a mate about 3 years ago that he was the best striker in the Premiership and my mate replied that he is greedy and doesnt pass enough-not his job I argued! Keep it up Turner.(And Winchester at Scunny)

If the player in possession of the ball NEVER releases the ball however, how long will those runs continue to be made?

Any coach with half a brain will be applauding those runs when playing back video of the game to the team.

In which case they will continue to be made.

We have been guilty of overplaying it when we get near the box. Having seen Turner score one by pouncing on a loose ball and two by heading for goal with the ball at his feet I'd be reluctant to tell him to start passing.

Edited by opinions4u

I can see the point that is being made by Phil, but I think that based on a very small amount of time it is impossible to tell whether this is an issue or not.

If over the course of a longer run in the team we see a player consistently taking opportunities to shoot in less advantageous situations as his team mates then I think the charge of 'greedy' to the extent it is detrimental to the team would be fair. But based on a few games, Turner has looked sharp and has a willingness to have a go at goal - overall I think we as a team are guilty of the opposite of greediness and in fact too often look for a pass rather than taking a shot on. He has also looked very capable of linking play and bringing other players into the attack. I'd say there is not too much to worry about.

On a similar vane, there was a point where the ball came to Winchester in the first half on the RHS of the goal, and with his back to goal he swivelled and got an angled shot off that missed the target by a fair bit. To score from that position would have taken an extraordinary effort, and he had the time to control the ball, turn and look for team mates in the area. With the game more in the balance at that time, you could make more of an argument against Winchester than Turner for me. But I wouldn't, its good to have players confident enough in their ability to try and score.