Oldham 1 Shrewsbury 1 FT

Sorry for mentioning this, but special mention deserves a special mention for performing decently in a position thrust on him at the last minute.

Why? It's his job afterall

Danny P has played various positions and taken a lot of grief for it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The key to any formation with 1 upfront is the movement of those behind, today there wasn't nearly enough. Our use of space is terrible. Its why a lot of the time we end up clipping it over the top for forte to peg it down the wing, which led to him being done after about 60 minutes. Id also like to see the full backs get forward more, Dieng did a bit and brown tried but he has no left foot so he turned back every time, just cut inside every now and again. We're too predictable. As a team we have to be more adventurous with the ball, be willing to drive at people.

As for the ref, it was never a penalty in a thousand years (Full marks to dunn for the dive though :grin: ). He was incredibly inconsistent with decisions and i cant for the world of me think why he didn't book their player for casually taking his top off during play.

Some neat little passing movements out wide where it doesn't hurt them is no use, we need to play them around the box and finish them off with a goal. Loads of sideways passing just like previous seasons (out of the coaching manuals) ending with a pass back to a defender who hoofs it forward into space hoping someone (Fotre) will get their first. If he does there's very little he could do with the ball. No creativity, and nothing up front with only one striker means another boring season. When the poor weather comes and we have to sit in the RRE the club will be lucky to get any none season ticket holders at the game, and SC said this was a very important season and they had to get the right manager. Jurys out on that, because the exciting attacking football he promised the board and us isn't materialising.

I'll have that - but Johnson was given the chance to hit the ground running having been appointed towards the end of the season. Kelly had to wait 3 months for a competitive game and was already branded as "not up to it" by most on day one

You could argue that Johnson has the harder job because he had to turn around a losing team's fortunes, while Kelly had months to create his own team?

As for Kelly being branded "not up to it" - that can't have been a complete surprise for him..

True... But it's all down to luck too - we won 3-0 in Johnsons first game in charge which I think was the day after his appointment - so how much of that was him and how much was Tony P? On the flip side had we lost would knives have been out?

I think with Kelly though people were vitriol in their opposition to his appointment from day one without ever seeing his team play and despite starting unbeaten it does not seem to be abating.

Edited by JWhite101

Fleetwood and Shrewsbury could have scored ten between them. I thought we were awful again for the following reasons:

1. Not able to dictate a league game at home because of the 4-2-3-1 system

2. Two holding midfielders is the main issue for the above

3. Philiskirk is not a holding midfielder

4. Unfit Dunn behind a winger acting as a strike was bound to fail

5. Gap between Kelly/Philiskirk and Dunn creates a huge gap that both Fleetwood and Shrewsbury exploited

6. Players out of position

However, we're unbeaten (extremely fortunate to be so) and we have plenty of time to adjust to find an effective system.

Very disappointed all in all.

True... But it's all down to luck too - we won 3-0 in Johnsons first game in charge which I think was the day after his appointment - so how much of that was him and how much was Tony P? On the flip side had we lost would knives have been out?

I think with Kelly though people were vitriol in their opposition to his appointment from day one without ever seeing his team play and despite starting unbeaten it does not seem to be abating.

I'd say Kelly's been fairly lucky in the results he's got so far, especially against Fleetwood.

Can't remember who said it but the phrase "a rookie too far" has been used when referring to his appointment and I think that's spot on. For the most part I don't think it's anything personal against Kelly, but quite a few fans are fed-up of the board always taking the cheap option and wonder about the board's ambition for the club. We've got lucky and survived with appointing the likes of Dickov and Johnson but I think with the players we have under contract, plus other supposed sources of income (Sports Direct deal, new stand..) it was the right time to appoint someone to show they're serious about taking the club forward.

With that in mind, Sunderland's youth team coach was never going to get the juices flowing for the fans and so he'll always be on a hiding to nothing...and for him, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid!

Edited by JoeP

Another thing i dont understand....dead balls the keeper knocks it short and gets it straight back...

2 seconds before he had all time in the world to punt it upfield...now hes doing it with an attacker running at him!

Our players never seem to want the ball...i often get the feeling they're happy to stand next to an opponant and look marked. Croft runs around like a loon yet often there are yards to run into and he stands still.

Overall, movement is very very poor...schoolboy stuff would be an understatement!

I'd say Kelly's been fairly lucky in the results he's got so far, especially against Fleetwood.

Can't remember who said it but the phrase "a rookie too far" has been used when referring to his appointment and I think that's spot on. For the most part I don't think it's anything personal against Kelly, but quite a few fans are fed-up of the board always taking the cheap option and wonder about the board's ambition for the club. We've got lucky and survived with appointing the likes of Dickov and Johnson but I think with the players we have under contract, plus other supposed sources of income (Sports Direct deal, new stand..) it was the right time to appoint someone to show they're serious about taking the club forward.

With that in mind, Sunderland's youth team coach was never going to get the juices flowing for the fans and so he'll always be on a hiding to nothing...and for him, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I'm afraid!

Again I'll have it and maybe I'm coming across as Darren Kelly's mum, dad cousin third removed or something but nothing could be further from the truth. I laughed when he was appointed and was amazed as anyone else (as I was at the appointment of Johnson)

Yes maybe he has been lucky thus far - but my point re Johnson was part of football is luck and for me he doesn't deserve the flack he's got thus far. He may come unstuck and may ultimately prove not to be the right move but then again Alex Ferguson was one game from the sack and had Dennis Irwins clearly over the line goal been given he'd have been gone. I'm no where saying DK is the next Ferguson but whether we agree with the board in giving him the job or not he has it - he is Oldham Athletic manager and comes across as someone who genuinely wants to do well and seems an amiable nice guy (unlike the experienced Dave Penney) and I just think that whilst we are unbeaten show good signs in spells lets get off his back. Yes we need more up front but Jesus we've needed that since Porter left!!

Edited by JWhite101

I for one will give him time, I'm not so sure about the majority of the fans, lets face it he could be anything as a manager. I just hope he learns from his many mistakes he will make over the next few months.

If we stay unbeaten for another 4 matches he might be cut some slack, although some on here have made their mind up already.

It's sad at how many folk want Kelly to fail, the season has just started, still unbeaten!! What big money has been spent on the team, all these shouts of dowie an rosler for manager WTF, we have no big investment, get real, but at the end of the day we have a pretty stand to look at !!

People in the top of the main stand shouting abuse at Kelly at the final whistle!

I bet the dick heads couldn't wait! Actually it's obvious they couldn't wait as we still haven't lost.

You don't have to be happy but to start shouting at him already is ridiculous.

I wonder how many will ring up on Monday and tell him?

Eh? He was shocking. I can't weigh you up at all....

It actually says he didn't do a good job!!!! Read it again...

I know he was :censored:! Even more than normal. The amount of times I hear well done Connor is laughable. It's like petting a :censored:in idiot on the head and saying well done because he didn't :censored: his pants today.

Happy?

I'll have that - but Johnson was given the chance to hit the ground running having been appointed towards the end of the season. Kelly had to wait 3 months for a competitive game and was already branded as "not up to it" by most on day one

I was sat behind him for a while in the paddock today.

He seemed to shout the same two instructions on repeat, that was it.

wNone of his staff seemed to be in his ear at all during the game (By the way, who is SC?) like they were with Johnson/Dickov/others....

He tried to shout Jones over at one point (from not far away) and he just blanked him.

I'm not one of these who demands a manager be screaming, shouting & jumping around Martin O'Neil style all game but Kelly hardly moved at all.

I've not been in the paddock for years so I'm not that well placed to comment but he cut a very lonely figure to me and it all seemed a bit odd.

It's sad at how many folk want Kelly to fail, the season has just started, still unbeaten!! What big money has been spent on the team, all these shouts of dowie an rosler for manager WTF, we have no big investment, get real, but at the end of the day we have a pretty stand to look at !!

You'd be the worst of the lot if he wasn't Irish, to be sure :lol:

Home games are generally depressing

Lots of fans find the Athleticos style of ultras something they don't relate to

The 'new' songs are :censored:

Chaddy End Acoustics [chuckle] aside - it was better when they were at one end covering Crystal Palaces greatest hits and the RRE could sing with the ebb & flow of the game when it felt right as was always the case for the last hundred years or so........

Can't hear the Athletics at all. Can barley hear the drum in the main stand paddock nr the Chaddy.

The away fans have sounded loud last few weeks though from the same spot.

Not anyone's fault but the acoustic argument is all bollox

Edited by palmer1

I was sat behind him for a while in the paddock today.

He seemed to shout the same two instructions on repeat, that was it.

wNone of his staff seemed to be in his ear at all during the game (By the way, who is SC?) like they were with Johnson/Dickov/others....

He tried to shout Jones over at one point (from not far away) and he just blanked him.

I'm not one of these who demands a manager be screaming, shouting & jumping around Martin O'Neil style all game but Kelly hardly moved at all.

I've not been in the paddock for years so I'm not that well placed to comment but he cut a very lonely figure to me and it all seemed a bit odd.

SC is Simon Cooper - I'll be honest I'm

Not entirely sure what his job title is but been with us a few seasons on the bench now at least.

Can't hear the Athletics at all. Can barley hear the drum in the main stand paddock nr the Chaddy.

The away fans have sounded loud last few weeks though from the same spot.

Not anyone's fault but the acoustic argument is all bollox

I still stand by the theory that it is louder in the RRE when a lot of fans get involved, but I think we've discovered that 200 fans in the Chaddy will sound louder than 20 home fans, mostly teenage boys, in the RRE