'Pinch me season' article.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/aug/30/oldham-athletic-rob-smyth

Great read for all Latics fans! I think if we played that way now we could get battered more often than not but it would be exciting.

Rick Holden with a quality quote at the end :) Legend!

"exceptionally fit and direct in the best sense of the word"

Sounds so simple. Similar to the way Bournemouth play now.

As naive and as hopelessly romantic as this sounds that is possible again.

Not in exactly the same way, but if you look at the teams who have progressed up English Footbal, like Bournemouth and Swansea and what they have in common with us in those days is that their is no substitute for recruiting the right people.

If you recruit the right people weather they be managers, coaches, or players then you are going to be successful eventually. Even if you are forced to sell a few along the way.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Its the brief moments of glory is why I love supporting my town team...but to witness a full season was phenomenal.

I know some of us oldies harp on about it but it was bloody brilliant.

And if united hadn't beaten us and Nicky Henry goal been allowed.....I believe united would have fired that fergie bloke too...ohhhh if only.

And sometimes I pinched myself now when I'm watching our current lot too...but for the opposite reason..ha

Had supported them for 20 years before that and seen steady progress.The thing that Surprised me most about the great team from 89-91 was that all the players who came from Leeds and City reserves all came here for more money! Hope I am wrong but thats the main reason I cant see it happening again in my lifetime, these kids languishing in the stiffs at big Clubs now are on ridiculous wages.