This division is killing us

I said similar recently, but not a relegation. I relegation would lead to a few years of stagnating at that level and the same happening.

Would I take administration, the inevitable relegation and people banding together? Having some fire in the belly... Probably.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would suit me in terms of away trips due to League 2 being a mostly southern league at present.

Other than that, getting relegated in the hope of getting a bit more excitement (which is in no way guaranteed) is not the way to go.

I don't see it so much as excitement, more an opportunity to galvanize the supporters and perhaps the owners.

I'd rather it happened in this league of course but it seems as far away as ever just now.

We aren't as big as stockport no.

Even as a County fan I'd find it hard to argue that we're as big as Oldham, potentially maybe but our history is mostly lower divisions and we've never played top flight, I think County and Tranmere are similar clubs but I always saw Oldham as similar to Blackburn and Bolton, maybe that's because I grew up in the 70s.

Even as a County fan I'd find it hard to argue that we're as big as Oldham, potentially maybe but our history is mostly lower divisions and we've never played top flight, I think County and Tranmere are similar clubs but I always saw Oldham as similar to Blackburn and Bolton, maybe that's because I grew up in the 70s.

China,I always had us down as being slightly bigger than yourselves and Tranmere,mainly down to the fact you both played Friday nights at one time to obtain a few extra supporters from the bigger neighbours. I would say since Sky tv has taken over the sport all 3 clubs are about the same size, Bolton and Blackburn slightly bigger due to them not being as much of a Manchester/Liverpool over spill.

Edited by BLUMAX

5212 at Grimsby on Friday night

Grimsby's crowds halved as they stuttered in L1 and L2 amid disgruntled fans feeling they should be higher than they were and constant scrapes with relegation and mid-table mediocrity. The chairman had been involved with the club spanning their drop from the second tier to non-league in a decade.

They made a catastrophic error in appointing a youth team boss - Neil Woods - over Russell Slade (who got them to the L2 play-offs - a one-off), genuinely implying the arrogance that if they did get relegated to the Conference then they'd bounce back.

Crowds have only picked up thanks to an impressive project promotion initiative that raised £100k for players and more fans involvement via the Trust, plus plans for a new ground gathering steam.

But the biggest factor is geography. It's quite a way to Scunthorpe and Hull, and Lincoln and Boston - who are both non-league too.

They will always have a big catchment area of fans to call on. there are quite a few Liverpool fans that way and some glory-supporting kids, but given it takes the best part of 40minutes' driving just to be within reach of another city - Blundell Park is still the option for live football and getting involved in a bit of community pride (there's been a couple of visits to Wembley in the FA Trophy and play-offs that will have hooked some kids into going with dad etc)

We, however, do not have that.

And there's still empty seats to be filled st City....

Edited by IceStationLatic

Modern football has been redesigned so that lots of clubs are not stuck in the middle with little to play for in the latter part of the season , to make it more exciting.

With the playoffs ,teams down in the depths at Xmas can by finishing as low as 6th get promoted.

So 6 teams get promoted or at least the playoffs.

4 teams get relegated.

10 out of 24 .......yet in 18 years we have 2 playoffs and never reached the final.

I would fully understand why any fans aged in their late 20's or younger are utterly bored to death with the monotony of finishing 16th in Division 3 .

But relegation isn't the answer , we have 2 relegations in modern history and never looked like returning to a higher level.

China,I always had us down as being slightly bigger than yourselves and Tranmere,mainly down to the fact you both played Friday nights at one time to obtain a few extra supporters from the bigger neighbours. I would say since Sky tv has taken over the sport all 3 clubs are about the same size, Bolton and Blackburn slightly bigger due to them not being as much of a Manchester/Liverpool over spill.

The Friday night thing backfired on us, our crowds were lower on Fridays than they are on Saturdays and we probably lost a generation of kids, on the other hand it gave me a lot of free Saturdays and the chance to get to Boundary Park a fair bit.

Grimsby's crowds halved as they stuttered in L1 and L2 amid disgruntled fans feeling they should be higher than they were and constant scrapes with relegation and mid-table mediocrity. The chairman had been involved with the club spanning their drop from the second tier to non-league in a decade.

They made a catastrophic error in appointing a youth team boss - Neil Woods - over Russell Slade (who got them to the L2 play-offs - a one-off), genuinely implying the arrogance that if they did get relegated to the Conference then they'd bounce back.

Crowds have only picked up thanks to an impressive project promotion initiative that raised £100k for players and more fans involvement via the Trust, plus plans for a new ground gathering steam.

But the biggest factor is geography. It's quite a way to Scunthorpe and Hull, and Lincoln and Boston - who are both non-league too.

They will always have a big catchment area of fans to call on. there are quite a few Liverpool fans that way and some glory-supporting kids, but given it takes the best part of 40minutes' driving just to be within reach of another city - Blundell Park is still the option for live football and getting involved in a bit of community pride (there's been a couple of visits to Wembley in the FA Trophy and play-offs that will have hooked some kids into going with dad etc)

We, however, do not have that.

And there's still empty seats to be filled st City....

Grimsby's support at Alfreton last season with a couple of games to go was truly incredible.

They essentially sold out the ground with over 3000 of them there 30 minutes before kickoff. Have genuinely not seen anything like it and was pretty impressed with their non-stop passionate support in what was a horrific game of football.

Fair play to them!!

The Friday night thing backfired on us, our crowds were lower on Fridays than they are on Saturdays and we probably lost a generation of kids, on the other hand it gave me a lot of free Saturdays and the chance to get to Boundary Park a fair bit.

Ha ha,yes, and plenty of Boozy away days! Good point about the kids, despite what we have had to put up with the last 20 years,we have a good percentage of fans in the 14 to 21 age group,none of these experienced the glory years but are Latics through and through. Never liked the Friday nights myself,hard work going for a drink after the match wrapped up like a Dogs Dinner in a steamy Pub!

It is really isn't it? We've been in it for far too long. Its stale. Fans have left us in droves since we dropped in, both loyal and fleeting.

Relegation, for me, would 'revitalise' us in two ways. The board decide to mount a promotion charge bringing something positive to get behind or we continue to cloth-cut and end up in non league where EVERY weekend is like FA Cup first round day.

Maybe it's like cutting off your head to cure toothache but basically we need a new head anyway.

So you're saying it corrodes our soul, you want to leave and it won't miss us?

Edited by NewBlue

It is really isn't it? We've been in it for far too long. Its stale. Fans have left us in droves since we dropped in, both loyal and fleeting.

Relegation, for me, would 'revitalise' us in two ways. The board decide to mount a promotion charge bringing something positive to get behind or we continue to cloth-cut and end up in non league where EVERY weekend is like FA Cup first round day.

Maybe it's like cutting off your head to cure toothache but basically we need a new head anyway.

It's a great opportunity if used properly.