This division is killing us

Playing devils advocate Doncaster rovers were playing in front of 3 figure crowds in a crumbling waste ground when they dropped out of the league.

Since then several promotions, Wembley trips, new ground etc, even winning attacking football under Dave Penney! Crowds came flooding back.

They had an owner who chucked a lot of cash at it though. Without that you'd fear for the worst. It'd just be too risky for us. We have to stay up. And I think we will under Dunn.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is in my view some substance to the hypothesis of the question.

My son for example is 25 years old. He has been brought up in a generation of wall to wall televised football with all it's highlights and low lights. In his lifetime though he has only seen Latics play in the same division with the same outcomes.

Thanks to good parenting he still watches and supports us but to many of his generation it is not easy to promote the merits of watching Latics . It is difficult to quantify whether we have a lost a generation of supporters but we do need something to happen on the field to break the ""sameness " of everything. Increasingly we are becoming an anonymous football club

Sad times when people think that relegation is the answer. Is League 2 easier to get promoted from? We would lose our better players and fans too. I think we are better than our league position suggests. Try and stay in the league. Hopefully the new stand will generate new revenue and entice new and old fans back. I'm not confident we will stay up but i hope we don't throw the towel in.

Relegation could put this club on a downward slide that it may not be able to recover from resulting in death.

While we are in league 1 we are still in a fight and a more saleable assett. It's :censored: & its been far too long but it would risk the whole future of the club.

For the handful of supporters who would get excited by trips to Dover, Eastleigh etc because they haven't been before there is a thousand whowouldnt and would stop going all together rather than watch non league football.

Nonr of us are happy watching the :censored:e we watch every week at the moment. But most would be OK watching this league for a few more years if we played attacking football & just went for it sometimes. I feel The negative football that the last 3/4 managers have tried to play is having more affect than the actual division. We all want to be entertained. I speak for myself but I rarely am nowadays & I feel sometimrs I drive the hour & half to the games each week more out of habit than anything else which is starting to bug me!

However I would not want to risk the future of the club with relegation due to boredom...

I think people are missing the point. It may result in death. But it would give the opportunity to rebuild. Get rid of the current hierarchy.

Sure, fans be go but some would come back wanting to be part of the new project. Looking at Tranmere and Stockport at this very moment isn't the right way to look at the possibility. Who's to say in 5-10 years time they aren't back on the up?

I think people are just in the mindset that once the owners leave and we 'die' then that's the end. But that's only the beginning.

It's one of the great football fallacies, the idea that relegation can be a positive. It isn't. It would be a disaster. Youdon't need to get relegated to revitalise the club. We were on a par with Oxford and Luton for a long time in the 1980s. They've been struggling in the fifth and fourth divisions for years. It hasn't done them any good at all. It would not stop the rot, it would more likely kill us off. The standard of football would be worse, more fans would drift away and the same queue of investors that we've had banging on the door over the last few years would continue to exist.

Relegation has no benefits.

It's one of the great football fallacies, the idea that relegation can be a positive. It isn't. It would be a disaster. Youdon't need to get relegated to revitalise the club. We were on a par with Oxford and Luton for a long time in the 1980s. They've been struggling in the fifth and fourth divisions for years. It hasn't done them any good at all. It would not stop the rot, it would more likely kill us off. The standard of football would be worse, more fans would drift away and the same queue of investors that we've had banging on the door over the last few years would continue to exist.

Relegation has no benefits.

It might be the only way of getting rid of these owners, that would be a benefit.

I think people are missing the point. It may result in death. But it would give the opportunity to rebuild. Get rid of the current hierarchy.

Sure, fans be go but some would come back wanting to be part of the new project. Looking at Tranmere and Stockport at this very moment isn't the right way to look at the possibility. Who's to say in 5-10 years time they aren't back on the up?

I think people are just in the mindset that once the owners leave and we 'die' then that's the end. But that's only the beginning.

Don't think anyone is missing the point. The general consensus though is that why even think relegation from league 1 could be positive or even us going out of business to just start again! Edited by super_blue

Relegation and no new investment means same owners different division. What then?

Relegation does not guarantee new owners nor does it guarentee new investment or success. Surely as a league 2 club we are a less saleable assett?

Less attractive football on a Saturday because believe me it can get worse.

Not worth the risk.

Relegation and no new investment means same owners different division. What then?

Relegation does not guarantee new owners nor does it guarentee new investment or success. Surely as a league 2 club we are a less saleable assett?

Less attractive football on a Saturday because believe me it can get worse.

Not worth the risk.

We are unsellable now, I think relegation would mean they walk away, that can't be a bad thing.

We are unsellable now, I think relegation would mean they walk away, that can't be a bad thing.

They/Corney won't walk away. To much invested to just do that especially with the new stand coming into play and generating income. if walking away was an option I'm sure he'd have done that already. Especially if he ever came on here and had a read.....

They/Corney won't walk away. To much invested to just do that especially with the new stand coming into play and generating income. if walking away was an option I'm sure he'd have done that already. Especially if he ever came on here and had a read.....

Walking away from the football side.

In league 1 you get quite a few attractive games against reasonable sized clubs who have fallen away, league 2 is nowhere near as attractive and playing the likes of Barnet at home won't bring the crowds flooding back, your income would be reduced massively but your expenditure wouldn't. Staying up is essential and the new stand could be one part of putting the club back on the rise, I don't know if a Bradford style season ticket promotion would work but taking a step back to move forward isn't the way to go.

Relegation could put this club on a downward slide that it may not be able to recover from resulting in death.

While we are in league 1 we are still in a fight and a more saleable assett. It's :censored: & its been far too long but it would risk the whole future of the club.

For the handful of supporters who would get excited by trips to Dover, Eastleigh etc because they haven't been before there is a thousand whowouldnt and would stop going all together rather than watch non league football.

Nonr of us are happy watching the :censored:e we watch every week at the moment. But most would be OK watching this league for a few more years if we played attacking football & just went for it sometimes. I feel The negative football that the last 3/4 managers have tried to play is having more affect than the actual division. We all want to be entertained. I speak for myself but I rarely am nowadays & I feel sometimrs I drive the hour & half to the games each week more out of habit than anything else which is starting to bug me!

However I would not want to risk the future of the club with relegation due to boredom...

< This exactly, Palmer.

The OP is perfectly correct.

We are never getting promoted from this league. Ever. Last year showed that even if we do well there is no appetite from fans to watch us play in this division any longer. Yesterday was the first time ever, apart from JPT games, that I genuinely couldn't have given two :censored:s whether we won or lost.

The only issue is that we are never getting promoted from League 2, either. The club, if relegated, would settle in whichever league it plummets to and sustain mid-table mediocrity.

Pick any league, but under the current ownership the club is dying. There is no drive from them for anything other than sustainability and personally getting a bit of lost money back. They couldn't give a toss about what happens on the pitch anymore.

Tranmere lost to Dover today. I don't know if a relegation would revitalise us. We might find out soon.

If it did happen I imagine it will be another opportunity to remind us that expectations have to be realistic.

Yes an whilst losing at home they did it in front of a bigger crowd than us.

4486 at there game id imagine Dover would of taken very few aswell.

Our attendence was 3795 the lowest in the divsion and would of been middle of attendences in league 2. I suspect the club would of expected a slight increase with the new stand and they must be dissapointed.

Its a catch 22 for the club and fans.We all want a better product on the pitch but this will only happen with more bums on seats although people wont come back until it improves.

Its :censored:e at the moment at home especially, I have not seen us win since Rochdale at home last season.

Will I stop going? No because I love the club and any fan who decides they dont want to go any more because its :censored: you are making it worse and just adding more pressure to the club. I understand that people stop going due to other reasons i.e money or work etc. But if your a fan who no longer goes because you cant be arsed then your making it worse for the club.