Chesterfield

Having seen the highlights, their goal shows the virtues of having a settled side. Kelly and Wilson in a right mess, but that's to be expected when neither knows the other's job.

Rasulo has the quality you'd expect. Him and Poleon both clearly forward-thinking, which we lack from certain others at times. Poleon ain't going to finish them all but he'll make enough chances for himself if we have the creative players behind him. Think I'd bin Yeates and Higdon to try to get Winchester, Philly and Rasulo in the same midfield with Poleon up top. Would lack width, but with Dummigan and Mills back - both handy attacking - and hopefully Jones too to cover with Kelly, you'd think it might work.

Philly deserves praise for the goal too, even if it was :censored:e. Bounce it in front of the keeper on a slippery surface and you've always got a chance - he's not daft...

After today, I'd keep with Yeates out wide left. Linked up well with Mills in second half and always looked to either cross, shoot or give it Mills when Mills was on the overlap. If Jones is back soon, I'd also move Winchester back to right wing and put Jones into CM.

Poleon up front alone? No matter who is behind will not work & it hasn't all season. He can't hold the ball up & his first touch is :censored:e. He has pace but to be effective he needs to have some up alongside him.

When it was played on the deck second half, and with Rasulo playing just behind him he was excellent. Based on the final twenty minutes today, I'd be willing to try the combination of Rasulo, Poleon from the start against Mansfield.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second half as enjoyable as any in years. The turnaround in atmosphere in the away end was as stark as the one on the pitch. Both goals a result of getting shots off & Poleon's showing the virtue of having someone willing to follow them in when you do.

This for me. No matter what level you play at, get your shots away and things will happen.

After today, I'd keep with Yeates out wide left. Linked up well with Mills in second half and always looked to either cross, shoot or give it Mills when Mills was on the overlap.

When it was played on the deck second half, and with Rasulo playing just behind him he was excellent. Based on the final twenty minutes today, I'd be willing to try the combination of Rasulo, Poleon from the start against Mansfield.

I really thiink that we need to give Yeates & Mills a chance to build up a bit of an understanding on that left flank and Yeates does look our best crosser of a ball.

Rasulo only played 20 minutes but looks to have great awareness from the highlghts, needs to start!

May I ask about the second half, were we much better for 45 mins or just massively better for 20?

Edited by ChaddySmoker

May I ask about the second half, were we much better for 45 mins or just massively better for 20?

Was a really strange game throughout. I thought we passed the ball as well as we have done in some time in the first 15 minutes - but understandably everybody's attention was on the much more serious situation unfolding.

I don't know if that - or the increasing tension in the crowd - affected the players but we really lost our way for the next 45 minutes or so. Mills free kick before half time summed it up really!!

We had improved before Higdon's removal, but very quickly the improved movement started to make life difficult for Chesterfields sluggish centre halves.

Poleon stretched them and the extra space allowed Rasulo in particular to exploit the space in front of the defence. It would be a stretch to say the equaliser was coming - but it certainly wasn't undeserved. The winner was the icing on the cake.

What pleased me the most as a fan was the reaction to the equaliser. The players barely celebrated as the ball was cleared back to restart. It was the intent that ultimately drove us to win the game.

He hasn't been at his best of late, but Kelly was outstanding yesterday - particularly mopping up as we chased the game late.

Great result!

Was a really strange game throughout. I thought we passed the ball as well as we have done in some time in the first 15 minutes - but understandably everybody's attention was on the much more serious situation unfolding.

I don't know if that - or the increasing tension in the crowd - affected the players but we really lost our way for the next 45 minutes or so. Mills free kick before half time summed it up really!!

We had improved before Higdon's removal, but very quickly the improved movement started to make life difficult for Chesterfields sluggish centre halves.

Poleon stretched them and the extra space allowed Rasulo in particular to exploit the space in front of the defence. It would be a stretch to say the equaliser was coming - but it certainly wasn't undeserved. The winner was the icing on the cake.

What pleased me the most as a fan was the reaction to the equaliser. The players barely celebrated as the ball was cleared back to restart. It was the intent that ultimately drove us to win the game.

He hasn't been at his best of late, but Kelly was outstanding yesterday - particularly mopping up as we chased the game late. Great result!

The highlights didnt last long on Sky (compared to other games) but long enough to see Rasulo play two of the best passes I have seen for ages.

In those brief highlights we did seem to have much more intent to get the ball forward-mind you they were all only after the substitutions

Edited by ChaddySmoker

What a roller-coaster of emotions experienced this afternoon!

First we had a minutes silence before kick-off in solidarity with the people of France.

Then a fellow Latics supporter was taken seriously ill, to the extent of paramedics being involved and Latics fan Kenny administering CPR, with all supporters moved out of that section of the crowd and a sheet being used to screen him.

While this was going on, the chanting amongst Latics supporters became subdued understandably, only to be broken by a minutes applause for the late Marton Fulop. Football was put into perspective!

The goal conceded was another defensive howler, and as the performance of the players got worse, the dark atmosphere amongst Latics fans boiled over with a scuffle over a difference of opinion.

After what Im told was four minutes of CPR, it worked well done Kenny!

On the pitch Latics continued to perform like an under 12s team and they left the field to boos at half-time.

The second half continued with nothing for the fans to get excited about, and when eventually Latics produced a shot, the fans celebrated it as if it was a goal. Then we had lets pretend weve scored and the black humour was successful in raising smiles out of the desperation experienced so far. In response to a question, Tommy Lee pointed to where he keeps his caravan, as Latics fans continued to make their own amusement.

Then the pitch was lit up with the arrival of Giorgio Rasulo. In no time he had produced a bit of magic and a shot, which Tommy Lee could only push to the side of the goal, where Poleon snapped it up for the equaliser. Suddenly the black cloud was lifted over our part of the ground and the fans raised the roof.

Then it happened, with Poleon ordered to leave the field to repair a boot malfunction, Latics got that long-awaited slice of luck. Philliskirk shot from distance at Tommy Lee only for Tommy to prove he is human after all, as he pushed the ball onto the post for it to rebound off him into the net.

The faithful traveling supports prayers were answered and the jubilation was complete with a rendition of Jingle Bells.

Its rare for the depths of despair and the heights of exhilaration to be experienced so close together, but it can happen supporting Latics. Its happened before and today was one of those days again.

I hope the supporter makes a full recovery and is able to continue his support we need all we can get.

Absolutely spot on! Really enjoyed that second half, we went for it and that's all you wanna see as a fan really

The highlights didnt last long on Sky (compared to other games) but long enough to see Rasulo play two of the best passes I have seen for ages.

In those brief highlights we did seem to be much more intent to get the ball forward-mind you they were all only after the substitutions

He looked good and certainly provided the spark.

I also thought that he caused a big problem for them defensively as he wasn't easy to mark. He looked very effective between the lines dropping into the space that Poleon created through his forward running. They couldn't decide whether they should have been pushing up from the back or dropping a man in from midfield - ultimately they did neither very well!!

It was also interesting that Poleon had much more space when Higdon wasn't on the pitch. We had been so static centrally that we had often been forced long as we ran out of options in possession.

I really thiink that we need to give Yeates & Mills a chance to build up a bit of an understanding on that left flank and Yeates does look our best crosser of a ball.

Rasulo only played 20 minutes but looks to have great awareness from the highlghts, needs to start!

The big improvement came in the last 20 minutes.

He looked good and certainly provided the spark.

I also thought that he caused a big problem for them defensively as he wasn't easy to mark. He looked very effective between the lines dropping into the space that Poleon created through his forward running. They couldn't decide whether they should have been pushing up from the back or dropping a man in from midfield - ultimately they did neither very well!!

It was also interesting that Poleon had much more space when Higdon wasn't on the pitch. We had been so static centrally that we had often been forced long as we ran out of options in possession.

I havent really been impressed with Higdon for a while-thanks Whitey that's a very analytical summary

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Am I just dreaming, or does that stand in the background, especially the roof, look remarkably like our own new North Stand, but without the glass frontages at the back?

Yes.

Stands are now identical to each other, which is why we ought to do our best to keep the Main Stand quirks.

Yes.

Stands are now identical to each other, which is why we ought to do our best to keep the Main Stand quirks.

I agree with your sentiment, but the Main Stand at BP really is in poor state, and even with the best will in the world, tearing it down is likely to be the only viable option for us when the time comes.

I agree with your sentiment, but the Main Stand at BP really is in poor state, and even with the best will in the world, tearing it down is likely to be the only viable option for us when the time comes.

I appreciate that it is decrepit, I just don't want to see another stand looking the same way the latest one does. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful it's there but do we want BP to look exactly the same as several others grounds round the country? I've already gone through this, but there must be ways to retain some of the historic features from the MS.

When I attended the stand open day at the end of last season, Neil Joy talked openly about his wish to drop the main stand and start again.

I appreciate that the old girl's showing her age, but the thought of her being replaced by a small, modern stand is hard to take. Lose the main stand and you lose the whole charm of the ground in my opinion.

It's the kind of decision the accountants need to be kept away from.

What's that new song? Sounds :censored:e but tbh at the moment our atmosphere is so lacking that I'll take any new original song to get the crowd going.

A couple of years ago, I went to watch France v Spain in a qualifier at Stade de France. We were right up in the nosebleed seats close to a group of some of the more vociferous French fans, and they were singing that song all game. We went over to Nantes for a few days afterwards and took in their game with Monaco, and their 'ultras' were also singing a variation of it too whilst bouncing up and down. Remember thinking it was impressive and sounded quite intimidating - I couldn't understand a word of it, but my French speaking mate told me it was something along the lines of 'If you are not a <fan of applicable team>, then sit the :censored: down!'

I've recently noticed it on Champions League coverage at different grounds too, so inevitable it'd end up in England in some diluted form. Probably those pesky Palace fans!!

When I attended the stand open day at the end of last season, Neil Joy talked openly about his wish to drop the main stand and start again.

I appreciate that the old girl's showing her age, but the thought of her being replaced by a small, modern stand is hard to take. Lose the main stand and you lose the whole charm of the ground in my opinion.

It's the kind of decision the accountants need to be kept away from.

You'd go to the game and there'd be something not quite right, you'd look around and see the same old faces and the same :censored:e football, and you wouldn't be able to put your finger on it.

It'd be the Main Stand.

Regenerate it by all means - fill in the corners, change the concourses, changing rooms and the seats - but please don't get rid of the structure of the paddock, dug outs or the facade. You'd look at the new creation and regret losing something you couldn't measure with money or metal.

Some things just need preserving, and the Main Stand is one of those.