Ritchie Wellens

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was one of our better players in his last Oldham appearance against Millwall in which we played decent. Everyone wanted to sign him after that

He didn't play against Millwall. The midfield was Jones, Kelly, Winchester, Poleon.

Doncaster had terminated his contract, before that game, so his loan with us had ended. Think he signed for Shrews a couple of days later.

He didn't play against Millwall. The midfield was Jones, Kelly, Winchester, Poleon.

Doncaster had terminated his contract, before that game, so his loan with us had ended. Think he signed for Shrews a couple of days later.

Don't be daft, he played a blinder................................well some were blind.

At Shrews he gave the ball away about the half way line and had lead boots trying to track back. Winny had scored and Wellens was still 10 yards higher up the pitch. Good when he was here at first. Legs gone now and not what we need in this dog fight.

Don't be daft, he played a blinder................................well some were blind.

At Shrews he gave the ball away about the half way line and had lead boots trying to track back. Winny had scored and Wellens was still 10 yards higher up the pitch. Good when he was here at first. Legs gone now and not what we need in this dog fight.

It was Colchester not millwall.

Played well for us against Colchester & played well for Shrews gainst Burton.

Played poorly for 45 minutes against Oldham & he's past it?

Of course his legs are slower he's 36/37 has bad knees and was never that quick to begin with. I'd wager he will have more good games than bad games for Shrewsbury this season. Something we have not been able to say about Winchester's performances this season.

It amazes me how some on here still judge footballers based on 1,2 or 3 games. How many times do you have to be proved wrong?

Edited by palmer1

Of course his legs are slower he's 36/37 has bad knees and was never that quick to begin with. I'd wager he will have more good games than bad games for Shrewsbury this season. Something we have not been able to say about Winchester's performances this season.

It amazes me how some on here still judge footballers based on 1,2 or 3 games. How many times do you have to be proved wrong?

Have you seen how well Doncaster have done since they dropped him?

I have known managers judge players on one game when scouting.

Yes youve told me before but do any of them post on here!?

Judging from past player assessments on here I'd wager none of the current posters on here are scouts would you?

You as a scout must know that Wellens although older will do a decent job in league 1.

Edited by palmer1

Yes youve told me before but do any of them post on here!?

Judging from past player assessments on here I'd wager none of the current posters on here are scouts would you?

You as a scout must know that Wellens although older will do a decent job in league 1.

He will do a job, I'll put you on the spot now, you've seen Cassidy more than 3 times, and Palmer perhaps only once..whats your judgement of them?

I've often thought that you can judge a player after one game.

Even if they're having a bad game, you can tell if there's a decent player there. Likewise, if someone stumbles their way through their debut and ends up playing OK, you know they'll get found out pretty sharpish, ala Bradley Diallo...

I've often thought that you can judge a player after one game.

Even if they're having a bad game, you can tell if there's a decent player there. Likewise, if someone stumbles their way through their debut and ends up playing OK, you know they'll get found out pretty sharpish, ala Bradley Diallo...

I remember one well known lower league manager who went to watch a player in non league and came away after an hour saying "there's nothing here for me"..a month later a player on the opposing team he'd not noticed signed for a Championship club and went on to have a good career..Even veteran professionals can't get them all right.

Edited by BP1960

He will do a job, I'll put you on the spot now, you've seen Cassidy more than 3 times, and Palmer perhaps only once..whats your judgement of them?

I think Cassidy is playing the wrong role. I don't think he is a target man & I don't think he played that role when he was banging them in for the trannies. If he played more on the shoulder ala Murphy he would have more success. You don't turn :censored:e over night but he lacks confidence & I feel his game has been effected by being pigeon holed due to his size and build. Having said that he needs to be stronger & less afraid of getting hurt.

Palmer looked quality against Bury, very tidy footballer and never gave the ball away once I don't think. More importantly for us he looked to move the ball forward which will help us. Shez has said he is playing out of position. I'd need to see more games to see if he is strong enough to play central but certainly looks to have the brains.

Edited by palmer1

I think Cassidy is playing the wrong role. I don't think he is a target man & I don't think he played that role when he was banging them in for the trannies. If he played more on the shoulder ala Murphy he would have more success. You don't turn :censored:e over night but he lacks confidence & I feel his game has been effected by being pigeon holed due to his size and build. Having said that he needs to be stringer & less afraid of getting hurt.

Palmer looked quality against Bury, very tidy footballer and never gave the ball away once I don't think. More importantly for us he looked to move the ball forward which will help us. Shez has said he is playing out of position. I'd need to see more games to see if he is strong enough to play central but certainly looks to have the brains.

They are fair assessments, I would just add Cassidy's injury problems, which he may still be recovering from. It's a pity there's no reserve team in which he could have worked his way back to form. I agree about Palmer, a breath of fresh air, the sort of player you hope will go far in the game.

Could you imagine if Shez had been written off when he got here because his 'legs had gone'? It's laughable!

An Oldham legend & probably the best midfielder weve had outside the 'glory years'.

Shez was class though, Wellens against a piss poor Colchester was playing for a contract, he did okay but didn't he lose possession for their goal? Can't see how he would improve us now and would even be a liability.

I think Cassidy is playing the wrong role. I don't think he is a target man & I don't think he played that role when he was banging them in for the trannies. If he played more on the shoulder ala Murphy he would have more success. You don't turn :censored:e over night but he lacks confidence & I feel his game has been effected by being pigeon holed due to his size and build. Having said that he needs to be stronger & less afraid of getting hurt.

I remember him as an on the shoulder striker at Tranmere.

Shez was class though, Wellens against a piss poor Colchester was playing for a contract, he did okay but didn't he lose possession for their goal? Can't see how he would improve us now and would even be a liability.

Shez was class but Bolton released him & he was playing non league for Doncaster because his 'legs had gone'

We offered Wellens a contract & so did Shrews so he must have done something right?

Cornell had the honour of gifting Colchester their goal not Wellens? What have you seen that has made you think he would be a liability?

In midfield he needs movement around him especially at 36. Micky Mellon has said Shrewsbury had none. This may account or at least explain a poor 45 mins against us. At 36 he can't do it on his own but he is by no means a liability.

Edited by palmer1

Are you blaming Wellens for their poor form?

I'm sure it had :censored: all to do with their managerial change did it?

The day young Ferguson got the job at Donny was the death knell for Wellens, he was one of a few United players to stand up to Slur Alex in public (Hotel dining room as Red nose was sat with some directors) and ask him why he was leaving him out of the side...few days later Wellens was at Blackpool!

Guest nonaenever

At 36 he can't do it on his own but he is by no means a liability.

I don't think people are saying he would be a liability - BUT he's 36 - wages would be high - a high risk of injury at that age - we're skint - the money is best invested elsewhere - Palmer has been a revelation - trust Shez to invest - Wellens was a Dunn 'panic move' in essence. I loved Wellens 10 years ago - and still admire him but he's not for us at this moment in time.

Think that Wellens could have done the Sheridan type role for us - but being fair, Sheridan was a better player in his pomp that Wellens was therefore perhaps he would have been less successful.

In my opinion, the player that could have played that role and maybe meant we were now 14th would have been Dunn. If another manager had been brought it with experience, perhaps giving Dunn a coaching role alongside for the isn't have seen Dunn do a Sheridan.

Amazed or not, it's my opinion. Not what we need in this dog fight. Lets see what Ritchie does during his contract.

Could you imagine if Shez had been written off when he got here because his 'legs had gone'? It's laughable!

An Oldham legend & probably the best midfielder weve had outside the 'glory years'.

It amazes me how some people use a player who's class was top level and liken them to a second level player. Absolutely no comparison between the two players. Stick to your opinion Wellens can still do a job, but come on