Honestly reckon you're fooling yourself to think there's a big difference between Latics and most other clubs.

Just read the original post of this thread!

We get a few of the so called 'firm' turning up for big away matches just to cause agro. Majority of games are fine and nothing of note happens between fans. You always expect a little of something against dale (unfortunately). Think it cause keith hill gets under our skin a bit, more than anything.

What i saw at the scum derby was a few 1000 city fans and at least few 100 united fans acting like :censored:. You'd never see that kind of % of our support doing that. Not saying latics are the best behaved, just meaning in general, lower league football seems to be better behaved and focused more on supporting their teams. That's just from my experience, just my opinion.

Obviously start of the thread is a downer and hopefully they get caught out, if not for saturday, they'll no doubt say something stupid down the line, and get what's coming to them. No need for it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Was sat towards the chaddy end side near the back, I didn't hear anyone sing about the Muslim community. They did sing you're just a town full of peados.

Not sure about the leader Chant me and my mates thought they said Andy maybe some hooligan

I probably sit in the same section... The wannabe hooliagans at the front sung "town full of pakis" and "Allah is your leader" not long into the game.

Someone in the execs shouted "you're only here for the ballboys" which was amusing.

I probably sit in the same section... The wannabe hooliagans at the front sung "town full of pakis" and "Allah is your leader" not long into the game.

Someone in the execs shouted "you're only here for the ballboys" which was amusing.

Think I need to go for an hearing test then. Made me laugh 5 minutes into the game all these young lads appeared in stone island.

As i have a life, i've only just seen this thread. A dose of reality is required. The chants are not able to be deemed racist. You may.....or may not....... agree with such chants, but using words that are short form for a nationality (however distasteful they may seem to you) does not make someone uttering them a racist. The word 'Paki' apart from being a short form of the word Pakistani, is a word often used by the Pakistani community, such as in 'Paki power'

Before any of the do-gooders swoon with abhorrence....i personally don't like it....but....it CANNOT be deemed racist without further context. I could go on and on with hundreds of examples but i'll leave you with just one question to consider before you hit the keyboard with your 'defenders of the earth' rhetoric. Most of you will have at some time or other joined in with this one.....

Should everyone who sings "We all hate Leeds" (and its various other forms) be charged with hate crimes?

There are way too many PC wankers (pun intended) waiting to jump on the first 'holier than thou' bandwagon on every internet forum in the world. Get a :censored:ing life or grow up, whichever comes first.

For those who need to know, the vast majority of the Asian population in Rochdale is in fact Bangladeshi, as it is in Oldham

Edited by otid

As i have a life, i've only just seen this thread. A dose of reality is required. The chants are not able to be deemed racist.

Based on the words quoted in this thread, they are racist. They are intended to be racist. They have been interpreted as racist.

You may.....or may not....... agree with such chants, but using words that are short form for a nationality (however distasteful they may seem to you) does not make someone uttering them a racist. The word 'Paki' apart from being a short form of the word Pakistani, is a word often used by the Pakistani community, such as in 'Paki power'

Alas, in the context used on Saturday it is racist. It's intended as an insult to a town because of the ethnicity of the population.

Before any of the do-gooders swoon with abhorrence....i personally don't like it....but....it CANNOT be deemed racist without further context. I could go on and on with hundreds of examples

I agree. The context of use is important. In this context it is openly racist. I am no bleeding heart liberal but this example goes way beyond unacceptable. There may be ignorance in some of those chanting but ultimately the chants are nasty and racist.

There are way too many PC wankers (pun intended) waiting to jump on the first 'holier than thou' bandwagon on every internet forum in the world. Get a :censored:ing life or grow up, whichever comes first.

I'm not a "PC :censored:", I assure you.

For those who need to know, the vast majority of the Asian population in Rochdale is in fact Bangladeshi, as it is in Oldham

Don't click on this link on a tablet. Just a PC or laptop with decent spreadsheet capability.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdFJ6OVF1U3JZTXEyYnFjb0k1clJvOFE&hl=en

I believe the stats are from 2009 and reflect the metropolitan borough.

Oldham Pakistani population 14,600

Oldham Bangladeshi population 10,300

Rochdale Pakistani population 15,500

Rochdale Bangladeshi population 3,500

I thoroughly disagree with your definition of racism.

Your sweeping statement about the racial makeup of the two towns is factually bollocks.

But apart from that ...

Based on the words quoted in this thread, they are racist. They are intended to be racist. They have been interpreted as racist.

Alas, in the context used on Saturday it is racist. It's intended as an insult to a town because of the ethnicity of the population.

I agree. The context of use is important. In this context it is openly racist. I am no bleeding heart liberal but this example goes way beyond unacceptable. There may be ignorance in some of those chanting but ultimately the chants are nasty and racist.

I'm not a "PC :censored:", I assure you.

Don't click on this link on a tablet. Just a PC or laptop with decent spreadsheet capability.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdFJ6OVF1U3JZTXEyYnFjb0k1clJvOFE&hl=en

I believe the stats are from 2009 and reflect the metropolitan borough.

Oldham Pakistani population 14,600

Oldham Bangladeshi population 10,300

Rochdale Pakistani population 15,500

Rochdale Bangladeshi population 3,500

I thoroughly disagree with your definition of racism.

Your sweeping statement about the racial makeup of the two towns is factually bollocks.

But apart from that ...

Fair enough on the population....should have done some research....on the rest...yeah, i'm right.

Incredible really - in what world is chants about "Pakis" not racist? It is true Asians will refer to themselves in that way - I clearly remember a lady doing so when I worked at Boots in Ashton-Under-Lyne in the late 80s. I found this sad, as indeed I do all so called "reclaiming" of words (Spurs/Yid-Black/Nigga) as it's not empowerment but a sad reflection of how difficult it is to beat prejudice. A little bit like when Ricky Gervaise was quite rightly taken to task by the mother of a Down's Syndrome child for using "mong" - a word like that will never change its meaning, and I despair when I see Latics fans write MK Mongs. I also find it repulsive how people now write that a footballer was "raped" by another player.

Incredible really - in what world is chants about "Pakis" not racist? It is true Asians will refer to themselves in that way - I clearly remember a lady doing so when I worked at Boots in Ashton-Under-Lyne in the late 80s. I found this sad, as indeed I do all so called "reclaiming" of words (Spurs/Yid-Black/Nigga) as it's not empowerment but a sad reflection of how difficult it is to beat prejudice. A little bit like when Ricky Gervaise was quite rightly taken to task by the mother of a Down's Syndrome child for using "mong" - a word like that will never change its meaning, and I despair when I see Latics fans write MK Mongs. I also find it repulsive how people now write that a footballer was "raped" by another player.

People don't use mong to mean downs syndrome that much I wouldn't think. It's normally just used to mean stupid I would say so I think it's meaning has changed. Using raped in that sense as well is just a sign of changing times and gets used a hell of a lot.

As i have a life, i've only just seen this thread. A dose of reality is required. The chants are not able to be deemed racist. You may.....or may not....... agree with such chants, but using words that are short form for a nationality (however distasteful they may seem to you) does not make someone uttering them a racist. The word 'Paki' apart from being a short form of the word Pakistani, is a word often used by the Pakistani community, such as in 'Paki power'

Before any of the do-gooders swoon with abhorrence....i personally don't like it....but....it CANNOT be deemed racist without further context. I could go on and on with hundreds of examples but i'll leave you with just one question to consider before you hit the keyboard with your 'defenders of the earth' rhetoric. Most of you will have at some time or other joined in with this one.....

Should everyone who sings "We all hate Leeds" (and its various other forms) be charged with hate crimes?

I've read it twice, and I can't find any reference to the Queen.

This is one of the stupidest, most ill-informed things I've ever read. People who don't understand why the word 'paki' is insulting and unacceptable are morons. "Oh it's just short for Pakistani". Jesus Christ. The same kind of people who get angry that they can't say nigger "because black people use it themselves"

"Loony left" "PC gone mad" etc

Edited by Dayvan Cowboy

Yep, like i said.....

As a side issue Isn't it queer how some people refer to gay folk.....oh :censored:, I can't say that!

Yep, like i said.....

There are way too many PC wankers (pun intended)

I'm not fully awake yet. Please explain the pun.

waiting to jump on the first 'holier than thou' bandwagon on every internet forum in the world.

I'm intrigued to find myself categorised as such. I'll defend "banter" where there's an underlying humour on both sides. But you are defending the indefensible. The unacceptable. You are jumping on a bandwagon of your own. If not, you're trolling. Unfortunately I don't think you are trolling.

Get a :censored:ing life or grow up, whichever comes first!

I have a life. I'm fine with it. Grow up? Well I'd have to say your words are at best immature.

I'll leave others to form their own views and I don't intend to feed this thread anymore.

Edited by opinions4u

So anybody who thinks using a term that has been used derogatorily against the Asian population for decades is indefensible and unacceptable is a holier than thou pc :censored: jumping on a 'bandwagon'. Fair enough. If you can't understand why the word paki is unacceptable in any context, you're an idiot. It's as simple as that

I also don't think you understand what a pun is.

Guest nonaenever

Probably time to close this thread before it gets out of hand BUT I do have to say that the people who are "constantly offended on behalf of others" are rather sickly. The PC brigade have indeed virtually got rid of the right to free speech or to express an opinion - something the Nazis did rather well - ironic isn't it - the lefties are in danger of creating the same conditions as the far right. There endeth the speech.

Yep you used to be able to go along to a match and make monkey noises at the coloureds but the elf and safety PC brigade looney lefty beardy Guardian reading sandle wearers put at end to that didn't they? Did my Grandad fight a war for that?

Exactly, mate. In the old days you could get your head and submerge it in a vat of boiling acid and now they're saying "oh don't do that, what if Jews see it? Oh it'll annoy Jews."

Guest nonaenever

Yep you used to be able to go along to a match and make monkey noises at the coloureds but the elf and safety PC brigade looney lefty beardy Guardian reading sandle wearers put at end to that didn't they? Did my Grandad fight a war for that?

No sane and balanced person would make monkey noises etc. What I am on about is the leftie firkin interfering bar stewards who ban the singing of baa baa black sheep and insisted on my daughter learning about firkin transsexuals at bloody 9 years of age. Dangerous interfering morons the lot of them.

No sane and balanced person would make monkey noises etc. What I am on about is the leftie firkin interfering bar stewards who ban the singing of baa baa black sheep and insisted on my daughter learning about firkin transsexuals at bloody 9 years of age. Dangerous interfering morons the lot of them.

Nobody banned baa baa black sheep. Nobody banned Easter. Nobody banned Christmas. Political Correctness has made life a whole lot better for minority's in this country. I don't see the problem.