The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

The great product never hit the shelves because the vital raw material was stuck in a warehouse at Dieppe.

Does that mean we can hold back a shed full of Mercedes, BMW and Audi cars in Harwich if the French play silly buggers?

If it's easier and cheaper, why weren't we buying from there in the first place?

We do, in massive quantities. The question is, why does the EU force us to have tariffs against them and ban us from buying products we might like but which don't meant their protectionist Single Market spec?

Our sovereignty is a large part of why I want to leave.

Do people realise that the European Court of Justice, can repeal any law made by the British Government? They have already done so in Scotland. That's a totally unelected bunch of judges, repealing acts made by elected governments. How can we accept that and vote to stay in the EU. When Tony Blair agreed to this ridiculous dictat, he told us that the United Kingdom would not be affected by it. Another of his lies!!

I wonder why this wasn't on sky Atlantic last night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=iAgKHSNqxa8

Of course the rest of the world want us to stay in the EU - we are a stabilising presence in the insidious colonisation of Europe. Do you think China, USA, Japan, or any other country out side Europe will be rushing to embrace this philosophy any time within the next 100yrs or ever? In or out who do you think will be second country in the world to send financial or military help to global trouble spots.

We are not Norway or Switzerland with a combined population of 13 million. We have the 5th largest economy in the world. Which country or Union in their right mind would want to make trading complex or expensive for us or themselves? Trading is a two way street and we import a lot of stuff.

Are we looking into the Union and seeing their economies growing? Are we looking into the Union and seeing low unemployment? Are we looking into the Union and seeing more secure borders? Does anyone understand how the laws made in Brussels are sanctioned? Does EVERYONE understand that the committees sanctioning European laws are unelected and pretty much unaccountable? Our MEP's are pigmies in a jungle. And not least the financial accounts have not been signed off for the last 11 years.

Make no mistake NO ONE can make an accurate forecast to what will happen IN or OUT but it appears the ruling classes of the rest of the world believe little old United Kingdom is about to create Armageddon. Maybe, little old United Kingdom is going to show the rest of the world it is not about to roll over with the advance of an unelected super state. We.ve been there before.

To enlighten yourself on how the European Union is run there is an excellent unbiased video on YouTube: Jeremy Paxman in Brussels.

However you vote is unlikely to adversely effect the older generations too much but I do wonder if the younger generations are even looking at what is heading there way. As always the future will have to look after itself.

Edited by mikeroyboy

But nothing changes for at least two years after the referendum. Giving time to sort things like this out.

2 years is for the divorce agreement, its going to be a lot longer discussing all the other issues so it may mean that some things don't get sorted out.

The fact we can't sort things out from within the EU is indicative to me as to how well we would sort things out after a 'brexit'.

I get the distinct impression that we're piling all our own shortcomings, frustrations and grievances onto an imagined 'bogeyman' - the EU - and people are thinking we would wake up on the 24th June in some way exorcised, cleansed and purged, ready to make a glorious new start.

In my opinion it would be the biggest collective mistake in our island history.

If the absolute worst happened, the utter worst, it would cost an average 3% to sell into the EU. Unlikely as that is to be how it ends up, we could buy from abroad for 3% cheaper with savings on domestic bills and import costs for businesses. Small and medium businesses wouldn't have to follow regulations that are a drop in the ocean for the FTSE100 companies but which hurt them.

We could sack people who make our laws.

We could sell to anyone, including Germany and Greece.

It'll be reet.

What if the EU decides to take a more protectionist view?

Edited by jimsleftfoot

2 years is for the divorce agreement, its going to be a lot longer discussing all the other issues so it may mean that some things don't get sorted out.

It's 2 years for the EU to save access to it's biggest market. I'm sure they'll pull their finger out.

They might, though they might also equally tell us to sod off as they don't want anyone else to leave.

Then as I say we pay c3% tariffs to export to their declining market and trade freely with the world, without paying a fee or the massive regulatory costs.

There was a Norwegian MP on TV the other day. In 1994 they had a referendum to join the EU. They were fed all the same scare stories as we are being fed now. If they voted to stay out there would be 100,000 lost jobs, the economy would go into a tail spin, currency would drop through the floor, no trade deals etc. None of it happened when the Norwegian people refused to be bulled. They are now considering re-negotiating their current relationship with the EU, in order to get a better deal.

On another issue, I wonder if the 22 people who have been undecided for quite some time have made up their minds yet. If they can change their votes it might be interesting to see how it affects the outcome on this very limited forum.

Then as I say we pay c3% tariffs to export to their declining market and trade freely with the world, without paying a fee or the massive regulatory costs.

The issue I have with this trail of thought, is that it is implied that it is guaranteed. It's not. Even if it this did happen, thousands of businesses having to make additional customs declarations to sell to the EU and to meet EU regulations in doing so, is a clear barrier to trade. Whether the EU market is declining or not, its still not to be sniffed at.

There was a Norwegian MP on TV the other day. In 1994 they had a referendum to join the EU. They were fed all the same scare stories as we are being fed now. If they voted to stay out there would be 100,000 lost jobs, the economy would go into a tail spin, currency would drop through the floor, no trade deals etc. None of it happened when the Norwegian people refused to be bulled. They are now considering re-negotiating their current relationship with the EU, in order to get a better deal.

On another issue, I wonder if the 22 people who have been undecided for quite some time have made up their minds yet. If they can change their votes it might be interesting to see how it affects the outcome on this very limited forum.

Biggest oil wealth fund on the planet, as well as very high public sector employment. They also accept free movement of EU citizens in return to access for the single market (they also pay for this as well). Norway could have got a better deal out of being an EU Member, but chose not to.

At the end of the day, the Norwegian model (nor Swiss) cannot apply to us as Leave don't want to accept free movement of EU Citizens.

The issue I have with this trail of thought, is that it is implied that it is guaranteed. It's not. Even if it this did happen, thousands of businesses having to make additional customs declarations to sell to the EU and to meet EU regulations in doing so, is a clear barrier to trade. Whether the EU market is declining or not, its still not to be sniffed at.

The level of tariffs I indicated are guaranteed. That's a weighted average across what we currently sell that the EU imposes on those products from countries that it has absolutely no trade arrangements with.

I agree that having to meet EU regulations is a barrier to trade (that's why the big businesses get the Commission to impose them). They will exist for exporters to the EU regardless so no change there. I accept that processing customs is additional work, but I suggest it's a drop in the ocean compared to the savings for 96% of businesses who don't sell to the EU.

Brexit -

1/ Leave.

2/ Wait for Europe to come begging.

3/ Buy some tasty Beemers.

4/ Sorted.

If that's the level of the debate:

1) Remain

2) Fundamental reverse everything every fibre of the EU stands for and is dedicated to being

3) Light cigar

4) Drink wine recently made from water

The level of tariffs I indicated are guaranteed. That's a weighted average across what we currently sell that the EU imposes on those products from countries that it has absolutely no trade arrangements with.

I agree that having to meet EU regulations is a barrier to trade (that's why the big businesses get the Commission to impose them). They will exist for exporters to the EU regardless so no change there. I accept that processing customs is additional work, but I suggest it's a drop in the ocean compared to the savings for 96% of businesses who don't sell to the EU.

Import rates can change and it has been known for additional tariffs to be placed on top of normal duty rates for protectionist reasons. Stating what the current situation is no guarantee, especially as us leaving the EU would be a rather significant change to the status quo in itself.

I can understand that you may feel that leaving the EU might work in our favour and fair enough, maybe it will, BUT there is a significant risk that it might not. There are no guarantees.

Import rates can change and it has been known for additional tariffs to be placed on top of normal duty rates for protectionist reasons. Stating what the current situation is no guarantee, especially as us leaving the EU would be a rather significant change to the status quo in itself.

I can understand that you may feel that leaving the EU might work in our favour and fair enough, maybe it will, BUT there is a significant risk that it might not. There are no guarantees.

True enough, but if the EU does turn itself further away from the rest of the world I'd see that as a greater reason not to go down the road with them.