The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

But they'll have 2 years won't they?

They have 2 years to negotiate a leaving agreement, and our future relationship with the EU. This can be extended if both sides agree. But the process starts right away when we invoke TEU article 50. Which basically tells the EU Council that we are leaving.

This is a plan: http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf some 400+ pages.

I suggest watch the video.

This is the video to go with it:

Thank you for the link and the video. Fair play to you, you came up with the goods, although I confess I gave up after the first few pages, falling into a sort of catatonic stupor. Don't worry, I also do that when I read some f the 'In' gumph.

It's interesting, because in a previous post you implied that Brexit supporters come from all sides of the political spectrum (you cited the case of the Guardian journalist) yet the Bruges group you present are basically a Thatcher tribute groupuscule and Dr Richard A E North is indeed a Euro sceptic and...a climate sceptic (see our previous discussion on climate), who, in December 2009, published an article in The Sunday Telegraph in which he accused Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), of using his position for personal gain,[24][25][26][27] with a follow-up Telegraph article in January 2010.[28]According to George Monbiot, "The allegations ... were widely aired in the media and generally believed."[26] On 21 August 2010, The Daily Telegraph issued an apology,[25] and withdrew the December article from their website,[26] having reportedly paid legal fees running into six figures. Robert Oulds, on the other hand is merely a staunch Tory and military historian - I think you'll find that the links supporting the 'remain' campaign that I've posted on previous pages, impenetrable as they may seem, are of far less tarnished pedigree.

Thank you for the link and the video. Fair play to you, you came up with the goods, although I confess I gave up after the first few pages, falling into a sort of catatonic stupor. Don't worry, I also do that when I read some f the 'In' gumph.

It's interesting, because in a previous post you implied that Brexit supporters come from all sides of the political spectrum They do.

(you cited the case of the Guardian journalist) yet the Bruges group you present are basically a Thatcher tribute groupuscule and Dr Richard A E North is indeed a Euro sceptic and...a climate sceptic (see our previous discussion on climate), who, in December 2009, published an article in The Sunday Telegraph in which he accused Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), of using his position for personal gain,[24][25][26][27] with a follow-up Telegraph article in January 2010.[28]According to George Monbiot, "The allegations ... were widely aired in the media and generally believed."[26] On 21 August 2010, The Daily Telegraph issued an apology,[25] and withdrew the December article from their website,[26] having reportedly paid legal fees running into six figures. Robert Oulds, on the other hand is merely a staunch Tory and military historian - I think you'll find that the links supporting the 'remain' campaign that I've posted on previous pages, impenetrable as they may seem, are of far less tarnished pedigree.

No more than the multitude of remainers, supposedly independant and yet funded in some way by the EU, Bankers, or otherwise with their snouts well and truly in the trough.

You asked for a plan, you have been presented with a coherent plan. Yet, rather than discuss the plan you make a personal attack on the authors.

Edited by frizzell54

Interestingly, I've just spent the last week in Slovenia. After breaking away from the Titto regiem in the early 90's they lived a solitary life, fending for themselves until 2004 until they joined Europe. Since then they have seen wages rise by 20% but the cost of living by 47%, each and everyone of them see that joining the eu is a mistake and would leave at the drop of a hat, but they can't now. They work longer hours with little pay off. Whilst they agree with the freedom of movement and the trade benefits that the eu offers, they feel that we should leave due to the politics that the eu brings.

We had a lovely conversation with a waiter in Berlin today. He asked how the debate was going and expressed his hope that we would stay. I assured him that either way we would still buy German cars and visit their beautiful country.

Felt guilty for thinking that if I was Germany I wouldn't want to be left alone with the French either.

No, they should have a plan in place now to implement on June 24th. if needed.

they can have all the plans they want with a majority of 22 and a party split down the middle they will be hard pressed to get any legislation through parliament let alone the lords whichever way things go on the 23rd

What you need to remember is we are the 5th largest economy in the World and one of the few that is growing. We are one of Europe's biggest customers by a long way they are not going to risk annoying us if we leave. If they put a tariff on us we will just put one back on them which will raise us even more money as the balance is well in our favour. Out of the 28 member states there is only us and Germany without a bail out and actually paying in to the pot ...which is why Germany is worried as they would be left to pick up the tab. Are European business suddenly going to refuse billions in business I think not. We've already had 2 recessions (a period of TEMPORARY economic decline) well being part of Europe the last being one of the worst. Southern Europe is if financial melt down these economic migrants are already look for jobs in Northern Europe and 3 in to 1 doesn't go. My wife's a nurse and she has a Greek nurse working with her she doesn't want to be here and breaks down in tears misses her family but has no work in Greece...so when you say you want a future for your kids ask the family's from Southern Europe who have had to leave love ones in search of work because of the economic melt down caused by unelected bureaucrat. I'm an employer we are not suddly going to drop wages because we have left the Euro. Remain need to start telling the truth and may be they would convince people. But for me a vote to leave is the best for the UK.

Edited by OAFCinWolves

As a Euro-sceptic I have been sitting on the fence. However, the 'debate' amongst our political leaders hasn't helped, and seems to have degenerated into 'project fear' versus 'project lies'.

From what I've observed there are two main threads going on, and your primary concern may determine how you vote. Those whose main concern is about trade and the economy seem to favour 'remain', and those whose main concern is about the free movement of people and migration seem to favour 'leave'.

During the referendum campaign I've found some interesting statistical information. One is that "Germany and Britain have historically been the largest contributors to the EU. On a per capita basis Britain is now the eighth largest contributor to the EU (behind the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Austria and France)." https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/much-pay-european-union-facts/.

The second is: Which type of person wants to leave, and which type wants to remain? You Gov recently conducted a poll looking at, amongst other things, the affect of age, education, and social class on EU support (I really should be a pro-Europe enthusiast!). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/21/eu-referendum-who-in-britain-wants-to-leave-and-who-wants-to-rem/

My greatest concern is the long term impact on the UK economy and how new trade agreements would develop in a revised political landscape. As such I've decided to jump down on the 'remain' side, although a 'leave' result would be more politically interesting!

We'll see.

Whatever you think, please vote.

As a Euro-sceptic I have been sitting on the fence. However, the 'debate' amongst our political leaders hasn't helped, and seems to have degenerated into 'project fear' versus 'project lies'.

From what I've observed there are two main threads going on, and your primary concern may determine how you vote. Those whose main concern is about trade and the economy seem to favour 'remain', and those whose main concern is about the free movement of people and migration seem to favour 'leave'.

During the referendum campaign I've found some interesting statistical information. One is that "Germany and Britain have historically been the largest contributors to the EU. On a per capita basis Britain is now the eighth largest contributor to the EU (behind the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Austria and France)." https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/much-pay-european-union-facts/.

2. The second is: Which type of person wants to leave, and which type wants to remain? You Gov recently conducted a poll looking at, amongst other things, the affect of age, education, and social class on EU support (I really should be a pro-Europe enthusiast!). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/21/eu-referendum-who-in-britain-wants-to-leave-and-who-wants-to-rem/

1. My greatest concern is the long term impact on the UK economy and how new trade agreements would develop in a revised political landscape. As such I've decided to jump down on the 'remain' side, although a 'leave' result would be more politically interesting!

We'll see.

Whatever you think, please vote.

1. See my previous post. It is below. I suggest watch the video, the pdf link was supporting information for those with stamina.

One of my major concerns is how the EU will develop if we stay in. You will not be voting for the status quo.

2. How nice to be so young.

This is a plan: http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf some 400+ pages.

I suggest watch the video.

This is the video to go with it:

Edited by frizzell54

Cameron s really petrified now, attempting to blackmail pensioners. He says he won't be able to guarantee the triple lock on the state pension if we vote to leave. Who cares, both Cameron and Osborne will be toast, and won't be able to make any future decisions if we vote to leave.

Cameron s really petrified now, attempting to blackmail pensioners. He says he won't be able to guarantee the triple lock on the state pension if we vote to leave. Who cares, both Cameron and Osborne will be toast, and won't be able to make any future decisions if we vote to leave.

The reality is that maintaining the triple lock longer term is totally unsustainable anyway.

1. I'm certainly not going to watch an 84 minute video, produced by right-wing oddballs.

2. I was referring to the more educated being more pro-EU, rather than age. I'm not young!

A closed mind is not the mark of an educated person.