Before we get excited about next season

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just enjoy where we've got to after where we were three months ago before we get all negative about next season?

That's assuming of course that we get the three points we need to lead us to our seventh successive season of finishing between 15th and 19th place in this godforsaken league (in the first season of that sequence, Bournemouth were in League Two and Portsmouth were in the Premier League).

Given where we were (David Worrall [David Worrall] scoring a header [a header] in a 2-5 [five] home defeat against Southend [southend] was a low point for me), I'm just happy that we've got to where we have and that we have an actual manager in place who knows what he's doing and we can get behind.

I have no expectations of promotion or play offs or anything other than a routine 15th place finish next season but for the first time in a long time it feels like we have someone in charge who knows what he's doing and, regardless of players coming and going, everything else will fall into place. That at least will give us something to look forward to. In view of that, I'm genuinely not sure it matters (within reason) which players stay or go in the pre-season. Gerrard has been great, but who doubts that Sheridan/Shirtliff could find someone else to organise the defence if he doesn't stay? Palmer added composure to the midfield, but most of us hadn't heard of him before he joined; I actually have confidence in the manager's ability to find someone else to fill that role if Palmer doesn't come back. Holloway and Main have given us workrate, strength and (latterly) goals up top but they're still basically being rejected by clubs at our level or below; there will be others out there who can also fill that role.

We already have the one thing that matters for next season - everything else will take care of itself.

Or am I being too naive?

You are forgetting Worrall was unconscious at the time the ball went in.

Sheridan said a few weeks back about funds going into the pitch development didn't he? I suppose it's as effective as a new signing of the pitch is more conducive to his style of play.

History tells us SC will sort that out with undisclosed fees for a couple of our better players.

Guest nonaenever

I`ll be absolutely honest about next season - just consolidate please - top half finish for me is fine - let's not create any unecessary expectations and put pressure on Shez. An awful lot of weeding out and wheeler dealing needed in the transfer market - then settle the team. Just be nice not to be flirting with relegation - reasonable home fans' turnout yesterday too - might be a few starting to come back as a result of Shez's amazing turnaround.