The League Champions

I love and respect you Pete but this is getting silly now. Two winners of the same competition? I reckon that kills the competition stone dead forever. Certainly does for me. The players and the paying public know who won, hence the fannying about over hidden helicopter Sunday predictions. Someone should put a stop to this forthwith before predicting itself becomes a thing of the past.

Your patter is tremendous.

You seem a bit ruffled but, come on, claiming you didn't know anything about the season predictions but finding that you did post said predictions...? In all honesty, it's pretty sad to see your resolute demeanour crumbling before our very eyes.

You seem a bit ruffled but, come on, claiming you didn't know anything about the season predictions but finding that you did post said predictions...? In all honesty, it's pretty sad to see your resolute demeanour crumbling before our very eyes.

This happens when a kid's favourite toy is liable to be snatched away. Sad, really.

This happens when a kid's favourite toy is liable to be snatched away. Sad, really.

It's no skin off my dick, really. Where is the integrity of the competition when you have two winners, when one is respected as the winner of the grimmest struggle devised since the days of the gulag, and the other is just a massive fluke merchant? I love predicting and I don't mind when someone else wins, as long as it's clean, unlike - arguably - in the case of Ex_pat last season. My only worry, as always, is the integrity and honour of the competition.

It's no skin off my dick, really. Where is the integrity of the competition when you have two winners, when one is respected as the winner of the grimmest struggle devised since the days of the gulag, and the other is just a massive fluke merchant? I love predicting and I don't mind when someone else wins, as long as it's clean, unlike - arguably - in the case of Ex_pat last season. My only worry, as always, is the integrity and honour of the competition.

Who said there'd be two winners?

Who said there'd be two winners?

You're right. There will be only one winner, and everyone knows it's me.

Record points total. Top of the table for the longest stretch of all time - since 20 February. Seriously considering retirement and / or a breakaway contest with no small print.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Has anyone worked out if it will make a difference anyway? As strange as it might seem I am actually behind 24 on this one. A touch too much sun maybe.

I've had a look and think we have a potential new champ.

And here's me thinking we'd swerved the controversy!

Has anyone worked out if it will make a difference anyway? As strange as it might seem I am actually behind 24 on this one. A touch too much sun maybe.

I've always respected you disjointed. This is what I mean. The administrators are playing with fire. One person will be respected as the champion by the people who matter - their peers. Someone might end up top of some readjusted fluke nonsense and earn only the contempt of the players. Who'd want to be that person, victimised and vilified in equal measure through no fault of their own for going out in the world wearing nothing but a paper crown?

How can anyone be behind him?! It was there in black and white from day one and has been at the top of the prediction league board all season. What would he be saying if he'd fallen short at the weekend and then realised that the prediction from the beginning of the season put him back in contention?

Pull yourself together, man!

How can anyone be behind him?! It was there in black and white from day one and has been at the top of the prediction league board all season. What would he be saying if he'd fallen short at the weekend and then realised that the prediction from the beginning of the season put him back in contention?

Pull yourself together, man!

Witness the respect nzlatic and I showed each other in the match prediction thread. We both knew full well that the next 90 minutes decided where the title would go and wished each other well. He knows as everyone knows that I'd have been right behind him in his fight for justice. In fact, I'd be telling him it doesn't matter what the powers-that-be say because everyone knows who the real champion is.

It's a simple question really. Do you want to destroy your own premium prediction competition or not?

Bloody hell. All this fol-de-rol and tarradiddle because the one who makes the most noise actually forgot about the extra points system. Worse still, even forgot he'd taken part in it. Working with politicians for too long has addled the poor boy's marbles. He needs an arm round the shoulder and be politely told to remember what he bought into 9 months ago. Either that, or a slap.

Edited by Bristolatic

The rules were stated before the season started, so I feel we must stick to the rules set out. Whether you like them or not.

However, most of us forgot about the league 1 predictions done before a ball was kicked this season. This includes myself, as I had to check if I had done a prediction after reading this thread.

In hindsight, I think adding of pre-season predictions was not a good idea. Besides the arguments it has caused, we have to wait until 28th May (20 days after Latics final game) to find out the final standings. I agree with 24hrs, that the champion is the player at the top of the league when the (final) whistle blows.

We have a crazy system in Australian sport where the team that finishes top is not the champion (sometimes referred to as minor champion).

At the end of the season, the top 6 or 8 (depending on the sport) play knockout games.

What can happen is the team that finished top gets knocked out and the team that is in form at the end of the season wins it. I dislike this system.

Adding of points from the pre-season predictions, has similarities to the Oz system. I would like to see this abolished for next season.

Imagine the uproar if after Leicester came top of the Premiership, but lost out because of a pre-season home crowd average estimate submitted was totally inaccurate, and Man U was awarded points and the title for being more accurate in their estimate?

Stevie, no disrespected to you, as I can see that your idea was to make the seasons predictions more interesting. With hindsight, I think it is better the prediction league ends when the final whistle blows on the last match.

The rules were stated before the season started, so I feel we must stick to the rules set out. Whether you like them or not.

However, most of us forgot about the league 1 predictions done before a ball was kicked this season. This includes myself, as I had to check if I had done a prediction after reading this thread.

In hindsight, I think adding of pre-season predictions was not a good idea. Besides the arguments it has caused, we have to wait until 28th May (20 days after Latics final game) to find out the final standings. I agree with 24hrs, that the champion is the player at the top of the league when the (final) whistle blows.

We have a crazy system in Australian sport where the team that finishes top is not the champion (sometimes referred to as minor champion).

At the end of the season, the top 6 or 8 (depending on the sport) play knockout games.

What can happen is the team that finished top gets knocked out and the team that is in form at the end of the season wins it. I dislike this system.

Adding of points from the pre-season predictions, has similarities to the Oz system. I would like to see this abolished for next season.

Imagine the uproar if after Leicester came top of the Premiership, but lost out because of a pre-season home crowd average estimate submitted was totally inaccurate, and Man U was awarded points and the title for being more accurate in their estimate?

Stevie, no disrespected to you, as I can see that your idea was to make the seasons predictions more interesting. With hindsight, I think it is better the prediction league ends when the final whistle blows on the last match.

^Cheers, fellow Champion. Pure class, apart from the bit about preserving the Absurdity That Everyone Forgot Until Sunday.

We all know who the champ is, and I'll not forget your respect and affection for the competition.

With hindsight, I agree. I hadn't really accounted for the playoffs dragging it out beyond the last game and I should have kept any long-term predictions to the top two, rather than the three promoted teams, or predict the four teams to make the playoffs, then everything comes to a close at the final whistle on the last day of the season.

Having said that, what choice do I have but to stick with the rules as they were set out right at the start of the competition?

With hindsight, I agree. I hadn't really accounted for the playoffs dragging it out beyond the last game and I should have kept any long-term predictions to the top two, rather than the three promoted teams, or predict the four teams to make the playoffs, then everything comes to a close at the final whistle on the last day of the season.

Having said that, what choice do I have but to stick with the rules as they were set out right at the start of the competition?

Scrap the rule. Give the winner of the league positions nonsense a t-shirt or something. Give them free entry next year. Give them a biscuit. They'll never be respected as a champion anyway, whoever it is (I genuinely haven't looked). The points available for the fluke element are something like a quarter of all the points I scored the hard way.

When is a rule not a rule? When everyone suddenly remembers it and realises how stupid it is.

Seriously. If this doesn't happen soon, I'm off.

Bloody hell. All this fol-de-rol and tarradiddle because the one who makes the most noise actually forgot about the extra points system. Worse still, even forgot he'd taken part in it. Working with politicians for too long has addled the poor boy's marbles. He needs an arm round the shoulder and be politely told to remember what he bought into 9 months ago. Either that, or a slap.

It's reminiscent of when they were all trying to claim innocent confusion about the rules during the expenses scandal....