Kelly to Orient

didn't that happen a few years ago? I think we had something like 8 or 9 new players who started the first game and a couple of subs also ... I think it was around the time we had Richard Butcher (RIP) .. can't remember who the manager was tho.. Penney/Ronnie maybe?

Sorry, see post above

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeovil at home first game of the season in Ronnies first full season I think, about ten years ago. Possibly Chris Day,Liddell,Warne,wellens,rob Scott, possibly Butcher and Forbes.

Just checked.August 2005. The above all started plus Porter and Johnson played for Yeovil

yeah I think that's the match I was thinking of!

Kelly is far from the complete midfielder but I doubt that Matt Palmer would have been as good as he was without him. Kelly does a lot of the dirty work and is energetic and strong enough that a good ball player will thrive alongside him in a 2 man midfield.

In most league one teams he's good but replaceable. For us and the budget we supposedly have I don't expect us to adequately replace him. If we do then great.

If Kelly had better passing/attacking ability he would be in the championship/premiership...every club needs a Kelly for stability...we were much worse without him than with him.

If he finds himself at a club chasing the League One title he won't have to pass or attack and will look a very good defensive midfielder...

Record is terrible when Kelly hasn't played. Have we won a game without him in the last 2 seasons?

I thought as much. I don't think we have done.

So that should tell fans if he's important to us or not...

Any one who doesn't acknowledge the job a player like Kelly does for a team clearly hasn't ever stepped onto a football pitch in any capacity let alone a decent standard... Yea often he may have slowed attacking play down because he isn't that way inclined but he reads the game well and instead breaks down a lot of competitors play. An undesirable type of player to watch, that's why I think he gets a lot of stick.

Kelly is a professional footballer in more than name.... Which clearly makes him stand out within our squad.

He has been superb for us despite his limitations as a player.... and our record without him is lamentable. How anybody can underplay his inevitable departure is beyond me.

Worrying times indeed..

Kelly is a professional footballer in more than name.... Which clearly makes him stand out within our squad.

He has been superb for us despite his limitations as a player.... and our record without him is lamentable. How anybody can underplay his inevitable departure is beyond me.

Worrying times indeed..

The posters who say that we can do without him are equally as daft as the ones who say he doesnt need to be able to pass to a teammate

Worrying times indeed..

Bang on