Respect

I wouldn't be tempted by one either (service in educating motorists?) but it's historically dodgy. The Empire found a booming slave trade when it came to Africa and joined in, but then had a think and shut it down not just themselves but the rest of the world.

I'm moderately left of centre, but his reasoning actually shows him as part pretentious, part ignorant of history and part thick. British reformers were at the forefront of the crusade against slavery. The 'empire' bit is just an archaic throw back. Meaningless gesture, which is just slightly insulting towards his own country.

It's a complicated thing but I think the crux of the matter is that we should be happy to live in a society where we CAN refuse an honour.

A bit like performance art, Tracy Emin, Wendy O. Williams and assorted people taking a dump on the floor. Not necessarily my cup of tea (sic) but happy that it exists.

It's a complicated thing but I think the crux of the matter is that we should be happy to live in a society where we CAN refuse an honour.

A bit like performance art, Tracy Emin, Wendy O. Williams and assorted people taking a dump on the floor. Not necessarily my cup of tea (sic) but happy that it exists.

Refusing them has always happened but it's always been considered poor taste to announce it. Not sure I see why really as so many awards make political statements themselves,

Whilst I respect his choice to turn it down I find it pretty insulting that he associates modern Britain with events that happened hundreds of years ago

Times were different and the U.K. has much to be proud of in the way it has built an open, tolerant, multi cultural and free society.....of course it is far from perfect but we have a fairly large population on a smallish island and all things considered, the vagaries of human nature included, we don't do too bad a job of things!

"Empire" was complex and owed as much to trade and the British spirit of adventure as it did to greed and developed world arrogance but conquest and enslavement were sadly the norm throughout history and continue to be so in parts of the world today.

Britain has far more to be proud of than be ashamed of and it would have been better I think for Gayle to accept the honour for the reason it was given....i.e his valuable work to help ensure we continue to make the UK an even better place for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nonaenever

Why ? Unfortunately, human slavery has been a "constant" throughout history (and remains so). The people of these Islands were enslaved in large numbers by the Romans and Vikings amongst others - that doesn't mean I hold it against present day Italians, Danes or Swedes. Unfortunately the left wing latched onto "black slavery" many years ago and we are all supposed to walk around in a state of apologetic guilt. Sorry but Gayle needs to learn his history - ALL slavery is abhorrent - let's not focus on one particular part of it simply along the racial divide.

There is more slavery in black, arab and asian nations than anywhere now. Perhaps he can go and make a real statement and campaign to work against slavery where it is actually still an issue, rather than a pathetic weak gesture like this.

Edited by kowenicki

I really don't care if he accepts his award or not . That said, his gesture is anything but pathetic and weak-

"I am British, I was born here and my children were born here. There is no argument to be had about my patriotism. But the empire is something that oppressed black people." Sounds reasonable to me.

I really don't care if he accepts his award or not . That said, his gesture is anything but pathetic and weak-

"I am British, I was born here and my children were born here. There is no argument to be had about my patriotism. But the empire is something that oppressed black people." Sounds reasonable to me.

The empire doesn't exist any more. The name of the medal is just that, a name. He contradicts himself in that very paragraph.

There is more slavery in black, arab and asian nations than anywhere now.

We'll ignore human trafficking across Europe and the Americas.

Whether we agree with his take on history or not, he has a choice and has given a principled stance, challenging the honour. Incidentally, I believe we should have civic awards and honours that aren't connected to the 'Empire' - it's all a bit stuffy, dated, and Faragesque.

It's not really meant as a go at us, the average man. To me it's a bit like someone having a go at the bedroom tax I.e. the government and the establishment. The Empire 'ended' after the 2nd World War (some would argue 1997) and the Conservatives and the old money are currently running this country, quite a big link to the past. I can understand his reasoning.

I agree with Rummy, keeping old traditions make it hard to give the message that we've changed.

Edited by jimsleftfoot