Coventry (a) Team

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Agree Flynn has to be dropped - and agree with Winchester/Banks coming in. Personally think Dummigan at right back with Law further up. You would honestly play Erwin after that insipid performance yesterday? Did he win a header at all? Osei was one of few to come out with any credit; at least running at them when he got chance.

Agree Flynn has to be dropped - and agree with Winchester/Banks coming in. Personally think Dummigan at right back with Law further up. You would honestly play Erwin after that insipid performance yesterday? Did he win a header at all? Osei was one of few to come out with any credit; at least running at them when he got chance.

Osei didn't actually do anything, though, did he?

He ran a lot but Erwin has an impact on the game which few other players seem to. He's deserved his spot over the course of the 7 games, and maybe would've scored yesterday had Mckay blocked his shot.

I cba with fans thinking Erwin's a target man because he's big either. Maybe he is :censored:e in the air but he makes up for it with his feet.

Edited by NewBlue

Guest nonaenever

If Osei had played as many games as McKay and Erwin, I suspect he would have bagged more goals than the 2 of them put together. Give him and Ladapo a try together for a few games - with some decent service ON THE FLOOR - we've got nothing to lose - obvious to a blind man with a stick Erwin and McKay are not going to score the goals we need. I would play Osei straight down the middle. Defenders do back off from him because of his power and physique. Didn't do anything wrong yesterday - and the only one of the starting 11 who actually ran at players (missed Fane in this regard too) - everyone else fannied around with ineffective sideways passes etc.

If Osei had played as many games as McKay and Erwin, I suspect he would have bagged more goals than the 2 of them put together. Give him and Ladapo a try together for a few games - with some decent service ON THE FLOOR - we've got nothing to lose - obvious to a blind man with a stick Erwin and McKay are not going to score the goals we need. I would play Osei straight down the middle. Defenders do back off from him because of his power and physique. Didn't do anything wrong yesterday - and the only one of the starting 11 who actually ran at players (missed Fane in this regard too) - everyone else fannied around with ineffective sideways passes etc.

How can you say that about Osei? He looked out of his depth yesterday to me. He didn't do anything wrong but nor did he do anything right. I don't want to be too harsh on the lad but what standards are you judging him on? Far lesser than the rest of the team I'd imagine. Erwin has a knack of getting on the end and creating chances. Goals will come when he's in the team eventually.

Things aren't bad enough that Winchester needs to play.

Settled team will yield results, need to have a bit of patience.

7 games without an open play goal is pretty bad if you ask me. I don't see a creative player we have who is better than Winchester so far. We badly, badly need a player who will pass the ball forwards.

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Burgess

Dunne

McLaughlin/Croft

Fane

Green

Croft/ Jahraldo-Martin

Erwin

Mckay

Replace Flynn with one of McLaughlin/Jahraldo-Martin, we need someone who will stay out wide and stretch the game. McLaughlin might not have done much yet, but he hasn't been match fit and was highly-rated by Barnsley fans. Needs to play a few games to get match-fit, it won't happen getting 10,20 minutes here and there. Croft to replace Klok as he'll offer us a bit more quality on the ball.

A few changes required, I reckon.

Ripley

Dunne

Burgess

Clarke

Law

Fane

Green

Dummigan

Banks/Winch

Erwin

Ladapo

I'd imagine Dummigan & Fane will be in but other than that I reckon he'll make as few changes as possible and rightly so.

I'm confident he can put out a team to keep a clean sheet and nick us a 1-0 win.

It might well end up 0-0 again but I'd rather that than him make a load of changes to try and suddenly turn us into a free flowing attacking side and it go tits up.

Small tweaks are the way forward for me, especially as we're tight, organised and not losing many.

Let them get to know each other. Let's watch a side improve through continuity for once.

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Burgess

Dunne

Law/Flynn

Fane

Green

Erwin

Mckay

Ladapo

Maybe Reckord back in for Dunne if fit but, again, he'd be daft not to stick with defenders who are highly likely to get us a clean sheet. Not so sure Dummigan will necessarily start. Maybe leave Law there...?

Edited by HarryBosch

How can you say that about Osei? He looked out of his depth yesterday to me. He didn't do anything wrong but nor did he do anything right. I don't want to be too harsh on the lad but what standards are you judging him on? Far lesser than the rest of the team I'd imagine. Erwin has a knack of getting on the end and creating chances. Goals will come when he's in the team eventually.

7 games without an open play goal is pretty bad if you ask me. I don't see a creative player we have who is better than Winchester so far. We badly, badly need a player who will pass the ball forwards.

In a recent interview SR gave the impression that a lot of our goals will be coming from set plays.

A lot of you seem to be expecting free flowing football, I don't think Robbo is intending to give us anything of the kind for the foreseeable future.

I'm fine with that provided it results in us knicking a few more wins.

I suspect a lot of other supporters won't be :lol:

Does Winchester pass it forwards? More of a runner for me.

Banks looks to have a decent range of passing so could certainly make a case for him getting a start.

You're assuming that the team we started the season with is our best possible team.

We don't actually know that. I'd rather we tinker til we find the right combination, *then* stick with it.

I think we'd keep a lot of clean sheets regardless of changing the personnel up front around. We have a very good goalkeeper, one of the league's best centre backs, decent full backs and a couple of defensive mids who put themselves about.

Edited by NewBlue

In a recent interview SR gave the impression that a lot of our goals will be coming from set plays.

A lot of you seem to be expecting free flowing football, I don't think Robbo is intending to give us anything of the kind for the foreseeable future.

Agree, he really couldn't have outlined it much clearer.

It's always a :censored:ter when you don't win at home but we haven't been far away in any of them.

A disciplined and workmanlike performance is what's needed next week. If we play it the right way I could see us getting a solid 1-0 win.

I appreciate that Flynn has been poor in the last few games by all accounts. I think we need someone more explosive for home games but I think he could be the right type of player next Saturday with his defensive discipline and ball retention, I'll admit I could easily be barking up the wrong tree with that opinion!

Ripley

Law

Clarke

Burgess

Dunne

Dummigan

Green

Fane

Flynn

Erwin

Ladapo

Totally agree.

We're desperately in need of someone in the middle of the park who'll get their foot and the ball and consistently pick out a forward pass. I'm not sure we actually have that player, but Winchester and Banks look as close as we're going to get, so I think one of them should play.

We're also desperately in need of a pair of wingers whose first thought is to whip the ball into the box, rather than spend five minutes dallying around with it, before either passing it backwards or ineffectively trying to cut inside. Croft's done okay in that regard, and whilst McLaughlin has been largely hopeless thus far, he has only been given bit-part chances, and does at least look to run at a man and get the ball into the box. Flynn's another option, but he's been so anonymous recently I'm not sure I can justify him starting again. Or possibly Jahraldo-Martin, but he seems to have disappeared completely.

At the minute, Robinson seems to be falling into the trap of picking his best XI players, rather than his best team...

With that in mind, I'd suggest a (perhaps unpopular) 4-2-3-1;

Ripley

Law
Clarke
Burgess
Dunne

Fane
Green

Croft
Winchester
McLaughlin

Mckay

...with Mckay given explicit instructions to play off the shoulder of the last defender, and get himself in and around the six-yard box as soon as the ball's played out wide.

Seems a tad unfair on the likes of Erwin and Osei, who've done okay, but I'm just not really sure they offer much playing wide in a 4-3-3. Either play your strikers through the middle, or not at all.

We're also desperately in need of a pair of wingers whose first thought is to whip the ball into the box, rather than spend five minutes dallying around with it, before either passing it backwards or ineffectively trying to cut inside.

Law and Reckord. Both are very decent deliverers of a cross from what I've seen so far, especially the latter. They can do that job if they've got the legs.

Don't know where that leaves Dummigan. As for Mclaughlin, it's almost been funny watching him attempt to play football so far - I hope there's a lot more to come. On a two year deal iirc.

Ripley

Law

Clarke

Dunne

Dummigan

Fane

Green

Croft

Reckord (McLaughlin if Reckord not fit)

McKay

Erwin

Back 3 when we're in possession, back 5 when we're not. Dummigan & Reckord as wing backs.

Green & Fane to break up the play but both can carry the ball forwards. Croft in an advanced role behind Erwin & McKay in the hope that he can at least play a through ball and give them something to feed off.

Erwin & McKay to stay in forward position and not to keep dropping back deep to pick the ball up.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Agree, he really couldn't have outlined it much clearer.

It's always a :censored:ter when you don't win at home but we haven't been far away in any of them.

And it's not Dickov's "fine margins" or whatever :censored:e Dunn would have trawled out (I've erased it all from memory).

If we keep doing what we're doing we'll gather enough narrow victories to be safe certainly, mid table probably & play off challenging possibly.

Granted it's :censored: to watch but it's as clear a plan as we've had for years and one that's well worth a try in my opinion.

We're desperately in need of someone in the middle of the park who'll get their foot and the ball and consistently pick out a forward pass.

Like many people that's my favourite type of player but it looks like that isn't the way SR wants us to go.

He's done his sums and decided hard running & a very high level of organisation are the way forward (no pun intended).

That said - Green, Klok, Fane & Banks will still drum up the odd match winning throughball over the course of the season - they just won't be trying to do it every time and sacrificing our shape & discipline in the process.

And it's not Dickov's "fine margins" or whatever :censored:e Dunn would have trawled out (I've erased it all from memory).

If we keep doing what we're doing we'll gather enough narrow victories to be safe certainly, mid table probably & play off challenging possibly.

Granted it's :censored: to watch but it's as clear a plan as we've had for years and one that's well worth a try in my opinion.

Can't we be defensively sound and have attackers who make things happen?

Surely the front 4 have licence to do what they please. They've just been :censored:e, generally. The manager's job is to get it out of his attack just as he does out of his defence, surely.

I agree we've showed some discipline this season but shapes not something I associate with us presently especially in midfield/attack, too many square pegs round holes and not enough time on the training ground for everyone to know their jobs properly, still clinging on to the fact it will come in time.

Surely the front 4 have licence to do what they please. They've just been :censored:e, generally. The manager's job is to get it out of his attack just as he does out of his defence, surely.

I hope we will sooner rather than later but, until then, I think SR is doing the right thing in focussing on making us so hard to beat.

This can't be argued with.

All our shot stats are terrible.