Lee Erwin

On 9/4/2017 at 0:49 AM, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Granted he's been much improved recently but what about the other 3/4 of the season he's been MIA ? Or just not good/interested enough ? I think whatever decision Shez makes will be the right un,as he will see how he is attitude wise in training etc. 

Im not trying to slate the lad by the way, I'd be content either way. And unlike some cretins behind me today in the North stand I don't abuse my own players

There is one guy in the North stand who I honestly dont get why he supports Latics. Abuses the players all game, and I just dont get it. I dont mind the odd bit of stick ie when Banks did his ridiculous dive I gave him shit, but otherwise you should get behind them regardless of opinion on them.

On Erwin, I would sign him, 2 year deal just for that Northampton last minute winner! Looked a bit of a fairy at the start of the season, but alongside Holloway seems to be a bit more physical and eager to play. Confidence maybe? Certainly knows where the net is from distance, would just be nice to see him stick a couple of poacher efforts away, but the last 8-10 games show he definitely has it in his locker to be a 1 in 2/1 in 3 man.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'd imagine after some of the stick he took earlier in the season he would think twice before signing for us.

When the opportunity to play with Holloway for a full season arises, I'd guess some things are pushed to the back of the mind. 

If Holloway can play 30+ games next season you'd imagine any striker worth their salt will have at least 7 goals from his play. Investment in your career.

Guest davidshaw

Erwin alongside Holloway has promise as a partnership - Holloway looks like he could be a good foil for him. It's a dilemma for Sheridan though. Assuming Erwin would want to stay (and from what I hear that's doubtful) would he be best seeing if the partnership does fulfil its potential next season - or look elsewhere for a proven goal scorer (i.e. with or without someone else as a foil)?

It's clear that with someone who can find the goal regularly, we'd be in a very good position in this division - without counting chickens, providing we are in this division next season we need to come out of the traps quickly and get some early wins chalked up. That would start to bring the support back and give us optimism for the first time in a long time. It feels as though the building blocks for the future have started to be put into place (some players on longer contracts etc.).

So Erwin? He looks good lately - but another question is whether Holloway stays fit long enough to develop the partnership with him. Conundrum for sure.

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

I wonder about Erwin though.  Clearly a confidence player that was lacking it completely early on.

Now seems to have it and all round game is better.  I'd happily give Lee and Tope a go, I like AHH but lack of goals is becoming an issue for me and would like to see another partnership given a go.

Maybe a game on the bench will give Holloway a bit of focus - or show me I know nothing about football ;-)

Sorry scapegoat, I'm not sure you do know football that well. Lack of personal goals is not a problem when you are involved in team goals. We are a far better side with Holloway both this season and last. He is paramount for us keeping the ball in the oppos half. The ball stays upfield a hell of a lot more , which not only helps us create more but gives our defence a breather too. 

Next game just watch Holloway a bit closer and you will see how much work he does and how many of our attacks come due to that. He is a very very tidy and clever player for this level. I for one feel lucky we have him. For me he is our best player. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

1 hour ago, youngen said:

There is one guy in the North stand who I honestly dont get why he supports Latics. Abuses the players all game, and I just dont get it. I dont mind the odd bit of stick ie when Banks did his ridiculous dive I gave him shit, but otherwise you should get behind them regardless of opinion on them.

On Erwin, I would sign him, 2 year deal just for that Northampton last minute winner! Looked a bit of a fairy at the start of the season, but alongside Holloway seems to be a bit more physical and eager to play. Confidence maybe? Certainly knows where the net is from distance, would just be nice to see him stick a couple of poacher efforts away, but the last 8-10 games show he definitely has it in his locker to be a 1 in 2/1 in 3 man.

Does this idiot have short grey hair podgy and sometimes sits with another moaning cnut ?

Under Robinson we saw Erwin wide and often playing around the halfway line. The dribbles he went on looked good but often there was one touch too many and he lost the ball. 

Sheridan came in and said he wanted the strikers to be in the box. Since then Erwin does a lot less chasing back than he used to and scores a lot more goals. 

3 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

I wonder about Erwin though.  Clearly a confidence player that was lacking it completely early on.

Now seems to have it and all round game is better.  I'd happily give Lee and Tope a go, I like AHH but lack of goals is becoming an issue for me and would like to see another partnership given a go.

Maybe a game on the bench will give Holloway a bit of focus - or show me I know nothing about football ;-)

At Southend they tried the Tope and Erwin combination, it really didn't work.

33 minutes ago, disjointed said:

At Southend they tried the Tope and Erwin combination, it really didn't work.

...was just about to say the same thing. Tope had plenty of the ball and ran around a lot but it mostly came to nothing and Erwin was feeding off scraps. It would have been an ideal game for Holloway... as others have said, he is capable of holding the ball up and causing the defenders to re-think how they play and sit a little deeper....just hope we can keep him fit enough to do this for 40 games a season then we have a really good (team) player.

Appreciate the assessments of my ability to "know" football ;-)

I dont doubt Holloways ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play - it's a really key facit to have in a front line.  It has been a big factor in our improved performances.

But being good at that doesn't mean that you cannot contribute goals.  Last season Main did the same but managed to score some goals.

Holloway is good - but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a player that can hold the ball up but contributes to the scoresheet themselves shows a lack of "knowing football".

Erwin, has the potential to do both IMO, but accept that as recently as Southend (a game I didn't see) that it didn't work.

7 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Appreciate the assessments of my ability to "know" football ;-)

I dont doubt Holloways ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play - it's a really key facit to have in a front line.  It has been a big factor in our improved performances.

But being good at that doesn't mean that you cannot contribute goals.  Last season Main did the same but managed to score some goals.

Holloway is good - but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a player that can hold the ball up but contributes to the scoresheet themselves shows a lack of "knowing football".

Erwin, has the potential to do both IMO, but accept that as recently as Southend (a game I didn't see) that it didn't work.

Bit pedantic but Erwin and Holloway's hold-up play is totally different. It's not comparable really.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If Holloway could score goals he wouldn't be with us etc etc

I get it that it is mostly cliche but with this lad I firmly believe that WHEN he does start to bag , he will be snapped up by a Championship club. I honestly do believe he is that good. And he's only a baby in strikers terms. IMO he is our most saleable asset. 

6 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I get it that it is mostly cliche but with this lad I firmly believe that WHEN he does start to bag , he will be snapped up by a Championship club. I honestly do believe he is that good. And he's only a baby in strikers terms. IMO he is our most saleable asset. 

He's a goalless Chris O"Grady at the moment.

31 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Chris was in a much better team. Holloway is more important to us. And O'Grady not had such a bad career tbf. 

Do you think Holloway will add goals to his game with us ?

Didn't mean it in a bad way with O'Grady, think they share a lot of attributes.

Not sure Holloway will ever be a goalscorer but he might not need to be to have a good career.

Given his record over his career doesn't point to him becoming a goal scorer.

He strikes the ball well though and against Oxford could have had a hat trick with a bit more good luck. 

He needs someone to create a chance for him - so much of our play is through Holloway with him feeding other people. 

I love watching him play, he fights for everything and whilst don't think he will ever be a prolific  20+ a season, with the right player alongside him don't see why he won't get goals. 

Guest davidshaw
7 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Under Robinson we saw Erwin wide and often playing around the halfway line. The dribbles he went on looked good but often there was one touch too many and he lost the ball. 

Sheridan came in and said he wanted the strikers to be in the box. Since then Erwin does a lot less chasing back than he used to and scores a lot more goals. 

This is spot on from ChrisA.

Shez has shown what a good manager can achieve with essentially the same players. The single biggest change, by all accounts, is in the training regime. Robinson was obsessed with very hard training. Result - many players looked completely knackered with about 15 mins to go in many games under his charge.

The training regime has apparently eased off and players look much better for it (yes - agreed Gerrard needs a real regime close season but he's a one off). Robinson's one-dimensional "work ethic" mantra was also an abject failure. It meant if you ran around like a headless chicken (whilst achieving v little) you were virtually guaranteed a place. Shez is far cuter and encourages players to enjoy their natural game, express themselves and have a "work ethic" in the right areas of the pitch (not just running a half marathon every week for the sake of it). The transformation has been remarkable and will hopefully keep us up.

I am not trying to 'bash' or 'boo' Holloway - genuinely think he is a good player that has added a lot to our team.  I like his attitude and effort too.

However, I do think that 0.08 goals per league game (based on full appearances and assuming all his goals have been scored as a starter and not as a sub), is not a great stat - and my thought was does he get rested and give another partnership a try with a player high on confidence.  AAH coming off the bench, with something to prove and fighting for his place (and maybe a contract) might be what is needed to see him grab a couple of goals before the end of the season.

However,  I accept that I appear to be in a significant minority of 1 in questioning him.

2 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

I am not trying to 'bash' or 'boo' Holloway - genuinely think he is a good player that has added a lot to our team.  I like his attitude and effort too.

However, I do think that 0.08 goals per league game (based on full appearances and assuming all his goals have been scored as a starter and not as a sub), is not a great stat - and my thought was does he get rested and give another partnership a try with a player high on confidence.  AAH coming off the bench, with something to prove and fighting for his place (and maybe a contract) might be what is needed to see him grab a couple of goals before the end of the season.

However,  I accept that I appear to be in a significant minority of 1 in questioning him.

He already has a 2 year contract with us as far as I am aware.