McLaughlin Northern Ireland call up !?

Why does the NI manager think it is ok to take McLaughlin to likely sit on the bench, admitting it is a problem for Latics given our position, but then think it isn't ok to take a Sheff Utd player for the same game because it wouldnt be fair with them going for promotion?

I would argue we are in much more need and will miss the player far more.

Stinks a bit doesn't it?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-michael-o-neill-explains-daniel-lafferty-decision-1-8433194

Daniel Lafferty has been placed on stand-by for Northern Ireland’s World Cup qualifier against Norway later this month after Michael O’Neill, the Group C hopefuls’ manager, admitted he did not want to interrupt Sheffield United’s push for promotion from League One.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/michael-oneill-is-urging-mclaughlin-to-prove-he-has-the-quality-to-shine-at-a-higher-level-35520626.html

"His club situation is that he will miss a game on Saturday which is far from ideal as Oldham are fighting to stay in the division but the experience of their difficult season and change of manager has made it a bit of a baptism of fire in terms of consistently playing first-team football but we have watched him quite a bit and I'm keen to see more of him."

I think it was on another post that Wilder asked for Lafferty to be put on standby.

In that case it's likely to be more of a case of us not wanting to stand in McLaughlin's way.

I seriously doubt that. But if so, then if McLaughlin is going to sit on the bench for NI then we should make a serious request that he is not called up. He is very, very important to us at the moment.

I seriously doubt that. But if so, then if McLaughlin is going to sit on the bench for NI then we should make a serious request that he is not called up. He is very, very important to us at the moment.

I thought it sounds quite plausible...

I agree the choice of words are well poor, but this could be a case of him knowing Lafferty and knowing what he brings, while he wants to see MacLaughlin in his squad and judge him then. It's annoying, but I'll never be disappointed when one of our players represents their country, if he does sit on the bench and if there is no intention to give his debut then I'm with you. Let's just see first, before we get mad.

Personally think it's him just having a look at him in and around the squad. More to international football than just 90 mins on the pitch. 

If he is shocking in training it might well be his last call up but if he impresses he will no doubt get games in future