Mclaughlin on his way??

8 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

My opinion, Crusoe, for what it's worth is they:

Can't tackle

Can't head

Slow

Poor success ratio in passing and dead balls

There must £3k a week in wages there that can be freed up towards one, more effective player.

And the rest i was told Flynn's on more than 3k a week alone...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Clifford said:

Hardly comparable talents. Sheridan was top class.

10 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Indeed sends me banans when you get comparisons like that.

10 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Whilst Douglas is undoubtedly a quality midfielder, comparing him to Shez is like comparing apples and oranges.

At no point did I suggest that Douglas was in the same class as Shez. It wasn't a comparison of talents. What I suggested was the possibility of Shez looking at him as someone who might be able to dictate play in a similar fashion, albeit not to the same level of ability. 

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Yes, but cancelling their contracts would be expensive and not actually bring in any money.

I don't think the issue is freeing up a wage, I think it's funding a transfer.

I was thinking more of making them available.......I'm sure there's a manager in Scotland who knows them who may be interested!!!

5 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

At no point did I suggest that Douglas was in the same class as Shez. It wasn't a comparison of talents. What I suggested was the possibility of Shez looking at him as someone who might be able to dictate play in a similar fashion, albeit not to the same level of ability. 

I understood your point and it's a valid one, Banks and Fane are both quiet and you'd struggle to get them to say anything at all most games never mind take a game by the scruff of the neck and impose themselves vocally, a midfielder general in the mould of a Shez/Wellens is what's required.

3 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Alan Nixon has tweeted PNE have found a right back who likes to get forward. There are upwards of a dozen names suggested in replies 1 of which is McLaughlin. 

With so many clubs after him this should create a bidding war we should be looking at 1 million plus now surely !!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

But consider this. How old was Shez when he played his last season for us? His legs had gone, he had two dodgy knees, but he could virtually stand in the middle of the park shouting instructions and spraying passes about.

Is that a job that Douglas could do, albeit with (hopefully) some decent mobility? I don't think Shez wants someone to charge all over the shop, but someone who can dictate the game.

From that viewpoint, is he worth a gamble. I honestly don't know, but it could be a thought.

Good point...Shez made everything look so simple and easy.....but Douglas is no Sheridan to start with...

3 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

My opinion, Crusoe, for what it's worth is they:

Can't tackle

Can't head

Slow

Poor success ratio in passing and dead balls

There must £3k a week in wages there that can be freed up towards one, more effective player.

Flynn's a good player, he just has no stomach unless it suits him. 

Same can be said for Banks in technical ability, but rather than lacking stomach he's got a massive ego.

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Flynn's a good player, he just has no stomach unless it suits him. 

Same can be said for Banks in technical ability, but rather than lacking stomach he's got a massive ego.

Not sure about Banks ego I just don't think he's very good and has little heart, Flynn on the other hand is obviously better than he's shown and for me just lacks a bit of confidence, if he were played regularly in the same position he could really make us tick.

We are a selling club - always have been, always will be.  We need transfer income to help keep the books balanced.

If RM is of interest and can command a transfer fee, we have to be sensible.

The amount he can bring in is likely to be "undisclosed" as is our normal position - but the figure £600k is an interesting one.  For Latics fans it seems generally fanciful as we are used to seeing our players go for low values (when known or rumoured), so £600k for a player that isn't substantially different quality to others we have lost does seem unlikely.  But then on the other side, players from other clubs go for much better fees, and £600k is not a big amount in the grand scheme of football.  Key factor might be in the number of clubs interested - is there are 2 or 3 after him, then that will generate a higher fee.

£200k would still seem sensible given our over finances - but £600k and you take it every day.