Brendan Glackin

9 minutes ago, Roger Ritchie said:

Be mad if they pick him up and he plays games in the Premiership.

Did we not rate him or was he asking for too much?

We didn't rate him so didn't offer a deal.

There was some grumbling about it at the time. He certainly scored a lot at youth level. That said, it doesn't always translate into first team goals (hi, Chris Hall, Ryan Sugden, Matthew Wolfenden, Matty Barlow). I think Glackin turned out for Huddersfield Academy, not their full side.

Edited by Crusoe
typo

Just now, Crusoe said:

We didn't rate him so didn't offer a deal.

There was some grumbling about it at the time. He certainly scored a lot at youth level. That said, it doesn't always translate into first team goals (hi, Chris Hall, Ryan Sugden, Matthew Wolfenden, Matty Barlow...). I think Glackin torned out for Huddersfield Academy, not their full side.

Was their U23's.

Personally I would have offered him a deal but I'm not the manager or the owner. We just have to trust Shez and watch Glackin with interest and see what he equates to.

3 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Yeah. I'd have offered him one year to see if he could step up. Oh well.

Presuming Shez knew we would bring Craig Davies in, maybe he just didn't see Glackin getting game time.

He'd be battling with Davies, Holloway, Obadeyi, Duffus and Osei for a starting spot.

If a club lets a player go because they either believe he cannot step-up or it is necessary for further business dealings, and that player makes a success at another club, it is not a failure of the club that let him go. Some individuals thrive when challenged by what they may perceive as unfair treatment or circumstance and that is hopefully what the lad will do. Good luck to him, I hope he does play in the Premiership, he certainly would not have had that opportunity at Latics...well, not for a few seasons. :)

Plenty said similar about Jordan Bove whose now struggling to catch at a Vanarama North team spending most of his time bench warming.

Problem these lads have who aren't physically and mentally ready for mens football is there's nowhere for them to go with us having no reserve team these days.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Plenty said similar about Jordan Bove whose now struggling to catch at a Vanarama North team spending most of his time bench warming.

Problem these lads have who aren't physically and mentally ready for mens football is there's nowhere for them to go with us having no reserve team these days.

I agree, the lack of reserve team football denies them the more frequent opportunity of mixing with the older players. Experience is invaluable.

I did ask at the time that was it footballing reasons or finanncial, and could we set up YouthPlayershare.

Various assurances for very reputable people it was footballing reasons. He may have turned a corner and it be jst the jolt he needs, which can happen of course.

I'd stillb e happy with a YouthPlayershare if we could take on a player or two who might otherwise slip throuh the net, but in his case it was fotballing.

Look at the size of our strikers at the moment, then look at Glackin.

We're being set up to play an extremely physical style of football. Sadly that tends to be curtains for the scrawnier, skilful lads, which Glackin looked like to me.

Hope he goes on to succeed...

The couple of times I saw him in friendlies against men before last season he looked lost and that's being polite. It's one thing scoring at a youth level it's a totally different game against the big boys. How much change do you think he'd get from a Clarke or a Gerrard? Not much would be my answer. Senior pro's will no doubt be asked their opinions on these young lads as they will be up against them day in day out.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

So nothing to do with how our manager and highly experienced youth team coach rate his prospects?

Was just throwing a bit of potential  insight to the comment out there. Not disputing that. Now we don't have a manager from a lucky bag or xmas cracker I'm happy to get behind his decisions . ?