Steward vs Oxford

1 minute ago, oafc_lover said:

It's only offensive in an homophobic way if that's how you choose to take it over any other meaning.

I take your point, as a whole. But, in the context of its usage here its hard to imagine he's using it in anything but an insulting way. The irrevocable implication from that is that being called gay is insulting. That's homophobic, however we may choose to contextualise it. 

6 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I take your point, as a whole. But, in the context of its usage here its hard to imagine he's using it in anything but an insulting way. The irrevocable implication from that is that being called gay is insulting. That's homophobic, however we may choose to contextualise it. 

I just can't imagine the steward called him a faggot with the intention of making him feel bad about his sexual preference. He clearly said it as a general insult and not as a homophobic comment.

Either way though he is wrong for hurling insults at fans. I just don't think it's fair for us to make dramatise the situation and make it worse for the bloke.

51 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

I just can't imagine the steward called him a faggot with the intention of making him feel bad about his sexual preference. He clearly said it as a general insult and not as a homophobic comment.

Either way though he is wrong for hurling insults at fans. I just don't think it's fair for us to make dramatise the situation and make it worse for the bloke.

He actually suggested he was interested in another steward because he was a 'faggot' so yes it was a directly homophobic comment. Without watching it again its something like "why are you so interested in Ben? Are you some sort of faggot?" Jesus. He hasn't just suggested he is gay he has used what is widely regarded as a homophobic insult. That would lead me to think it was a homophobic act and therefore the employee of the club, at that moment, was being homophobic. Not acceptable. Not excusable. 

We will have gay fans, employees and players. I cannot see how this is being seen as a nothing incident really, slap on the wrists stuff. If he had made a racial comment would the reaction be the same? Sadly probably.

I think the mods should lock this topic, clearly something fans should see but the comments on here are a little worrying.

55 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

I do see your point but he didn't just call the lad faggot, he asked 'Are you a faggot?' and said something about him being keen on one of the other stewards.  So I think it's reasonable to conclude that he intended to insult the guy by suggesting that he is gay.  That is a homophobic comment.

18 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I do see your point but he didn't just call the lad faggot, he asked 'Are you a faggot?' and said something about him being keen on one of the other stewards.  So I think it's reasonable to conclude that he intended to insult the guy by suggesting that he is gay.  That is a homophobic comment.

Having read the comment above from big Cliff, I've watched the video again and realised that the steward did in fact mean it as an homophobic insult. Therefore I retract the comment about him not meaning it in a homophobic way.

However my first post very much still stands!

47 minutes ago, Clifford said:

He actually suggested he was interested in another steward because he was a 'faggot' so yes it was a directly homophobic comment. Without watching it again its something like "why are you so interested in Ben? Are you some sort of faggot?" Jesus. He hasn't just suggested he is gay he has used what is widely regarded as a homophobic insult. That would lead me to think it was a homophobic act and therefore the employee of the club, at that moment, was being homophobic. Not acceptable. Not excusable. 

We will have gay fans, employees and players. I cannot see how this is being seen as a nothing incident really, slap on the wrists stuff. If he had made a racial comment would the reaction be the same? Sadly probably.

I think the mods should lock this topic, clearly something fans should see but the comments on here are a little worrying.

Why are you on such a crusade Cliff ? I'm sure it's being dealt with. I'm sure the bloke feels ashamed too. Have you never said something you instantly regret ? He handled himself poorly and will pay the price with his job I'd imagine. Is that not enough ? Should he be hung by his bollox ?

25 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Why are you on such a crusade Cliff ? I'm sure it's being dealt with. I'm sure the bloke feels ashamed too. Have you never said something you instantly regret ? He handled himself poorly and will pay the price with his job I'd imagine. Is that not enough ? Should he be hung by his bollox ?

Crusade? The video is the video, the club will deal with it as they see fit, not everyone is on twitter and it is of interest to some of our fans. Just saddened by the reaction from some on here. I posted video originally and didn't make much of a comment. It was then removed because of comments made by some and again similar are occurring on here hence me commenting. If people with backwards views are not challenged where will we end up? If that is a crusade so be it but I won't be outside the main stand with a rainbow flag on Wednesday.

Homophobic bullying is a massive issue in schools in this town and adults need to be teaching their kids how to behave, some on here have tried to excuse his comments. 

I've worked in several public facing jobs, one or two dealing with drunk customers, at no point have I used such a homophobic comment or any other type of comment of this nature even when provoked (anyone who has worked on the front door of an Oldham night club will know what it is like). It's called being professional. I'm sure he regrets it, shame for him really but using that word makes me think it wasn't an accident he made himself sound homophobic. 

Edited by Clifford

1 minute ago, Clifford said:

Crusade? The video is the video, the club will deal with it as they see fit, not everyone is on twitter and it is of interest to some of our fans. Just saddened by the reaction from some on here. I posted video originally and didn't make much of a comment. It was then removed because of comments made by some and again similar are occurring on here hence me commenting. If people with backwards views are not challenged where will we end up? If that is a crusade so be it but I won't be outside the main stand with a rainbow flag on Wednesday.

Homophobic bullying is a massive issue in schools in this town and adults need to be teaching their kids how to behave, some on here have tried to excuse his comments. 

I've worked in several pubic facing jobs, one or two dealing with drunk customers, at no point have I used such a homophobic comment or any other type of comment of this nature even when provoked (anyone who has worked on the front door of an Oldham night club will know what it is like). It's called being professional. I'm sure he regrets it, shame for him really but using that word makes me think it wasn't an accident he made himself sound homophobic. 

Are you a gynaecologist by chance.

7 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I've worked in several public facing jobs, one or two dealing with drunk customers, at no point have I used such a homophobic comment or any other type of comment of this nature even when provoked (anyone who has worked on the front door of an Oldham night club will know what it is like). It's called being professional. I'm sure he regrets it, shame for him really but using that word makes me think it wasn't an accident he made himself sound homophobic. 

I seem to remember you came out with a remark about special schools on this forum in the past Cliff. I'm guessing you didn't mean to offend but it had all the potential to. This steward put his foot in it big time but maybe it was a slip of the tongue just like your comment on special schools ?

5 minutes ago, drphibes said:

I seem to remember you came out with a remark about special schools on this forum in the past Cliff. I'm guessing you didn't mean to offend but it had all the potential to. This steward put his foot in it big time but maybe it was a slip of the tongue just like your comment on special schools ?

If the steward had even made a joke about this man fancying 'Ben' not sure it would have been an issue. I agree with many the world is far too over sensitive but there is a line when in the act of work.

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

If we could get a picture of the lad taking the footage dressed up as one of the Village People it would remove all doubt.

52 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Not so much a crusade, however I do see it as a general statement that unfortunately has to be said from time to time.

• Ackey locked this topic