Steward vs Oxford

Rather oddly seems the original posting of this was deleted and there has been no explanation as to why. Please no homophobic comments ladies and gentlemen. I think fans have every right to see how our stewards behave ( we hear enough complaining about other clubs)

That steward has been working at latics for years and I have always found him to be fine when we have had a chat. It appears the Oxford fan was probably at it for most of the afternoon and sadly the steward let himself down.

If I used that kind of language at work I wouldn't get away with it because I've always been nice to people before. It doesn't matter what provoked it, that's unacceptable. An away fan being a dickhead (and there'll always be plenty of them) doesn't excuse a club employee and representative being completely needlessly homophobic and offensive.

Cliff, have you contacted the fans' liaison officer or anybody else at the club regarding this video? I don't know if the stewards are employed in-house or if it's subcontracted work these days but it needs investigating.

The Oxford fan is no angel from what has been raked up about him and he was clearly looking for a reaction in the clip. Not that it condones the behaviour of the steward. They are there to manage the crowd and should be trained in conflict resolution. They shouldn't be rising to provocation.

As I said in the original thread I've witnessed overly aggressive behaviour from stewards towards fans away from home many times and even at BP towards our own fans. Camera phones weren't around then though.

Edited by johnafoafc

7 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Cliff, have you contacted the fans' liaison officer or anybody else at the club regarding this video? 

I tweeted the video to him on Saturday, he's looking into it.

7 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Cliff, have you contacted the fans' liaison officer or anybody else at the club regarding this video? I don't know if the stewards are employed in-house or if it's subcontracted work these days but it needs investigating.

The Oxford fan is no angel from what has been raked up about him and he was clearly looking for a reaction in the clip. Not that it condones the behaviour of the steward. They are there to manage the crowd and should be trained in conflict resolution. They shouldn't be rising to provocation.

As I said in the original thread I've witnessed overly aggressive behaviour from stewards towards fans away from home many times and even at BP towards our own fans. Camera phones weren't around then though.

Why does he need to contact the club? They are tagged in the video, so they already know.

If anyone can't understand why the original thread was removed, having read the posts at the time, then they're being obtuse.  This thread will remain as long as the conversation is on topic and civilized.  If not, as before, it will be removed.

We've said this countless times now, but acting with respect is expected of you and enforced as best we can. It's not a lot to ask, really.

The guy sounds like a right plastic cockney neanderthal in that clip. His twitter reads the same.

Steward will lose his job.

Some saaad reactions on here people jumping on board getting involved. Get on with your own life, ansolutely no need to be getting involved.

20 minutes ago, Ackey said:

If anyone can't understand why the original thread was removed, having read the posts at the time, then they're being obtuse.  This thread will remain as long as the conversation is on topic and civilized.  If not, as before, it will be removed.

We've said this countless times now, but acting with respect is expected of you and enforced as best we can. It's not a lot to ask, really.

Remove the posts showing disrespect or abusive behaviour. No excuse to delete the original post highlighting the incident. 

I know the steward in question, worked there for years, follows latics and England too, sound lad. 

Probably been wound up before hand/during the game but i suppose you can't react like that.... Hopefully just a slap on the wrist and get on with it.

That oxford fella was looking for it too....already recording. 

19 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Remove the posts showing disrespect or abusive behaviour. No excuse to delete the original post highlighting the incident. 

Time required to hide posts and to manually edit posts (that are not abusive but quote an abusive post)? Let's call it 5 Minutes.  Time required to hide a thread? 5 seconds.

We work hard to keep this place tolerant and some people ignore that effort, or see it as a challenge. I've hidden 2 posts from this thread already this morning, one since I posted the polite request above. We do our best to go post-by-post, and we try not to remove threads (especially ones showing such important things). But, fundamentally, when I come to a thread of 40 posts, of which about 75% are abusive in some way shape or form, I'm not going to do that much work.

25 minutes ago, Ak's11 said:

I know the steward in question, worked there for years, follows latics and England too, sound lad. 

Probably been wound up before hand/during the game but i suppose you can't react like that.... Hopefully just a slap on the wrist and get on with it.

That oxford fella was looking for it too....already recording. 

My view is that he was wrong to react as he did but a stern warning would be sufficient punishment. Time to move on and let the authorities deal with this one.

I find it incredibly sad that this is how the world seems to be these days.

Why on earth do people think going round videoing people in their place of work after most likely treating them with disrespect is ok? Not only that, but then posting it all over the internet to shame them or embarrass them.

People seem to think that just because someone is at work, they can talk to them how they like and treat them like shit without any consequence whatsoever.

I wonder how this bloke would react if someone started calling him a dick head at his place of work, then filmed his reaction and posted it online? I imagine he wouldn't be too pleased at all.

It's a sad sad world we live in when getting your phone out and posting it online is the first port of call.

I removed the original thread and I reckon no explanation was really needed.  It very quickly descended into pathetic nonsense.  Given that there seemed to be little chance of it improving, I thought it best to chop the whole thing.  If people can discuss the matter in an appropriate manner, that's fine.  But, as Ackey says, if this thread goes in the same direction, it too will be removed.

10 hours ago, Magister said:

*Removed*

You can keep posting it, I will keep removing it.

There's no need for it, no value in it. The thread is about a sensitive and serious topic and on that we can have a protracted debate. There will not be anyone bringing this thread down to the level of one on one personal commentary, towards other posters. I will just remove it or eventually tire of it and put your account in to Mod-Preview for a couple of days.

Grow up. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

What's the agenda here?

Homophobic and offensive language aimed at fans by an safety steward.

Something that players, owners, match officials, match stewards the majority of women, children, pensioners and the majority of multi sexually oriented fans have been listening to for decades, from people close by. And apparently without concern.

A few fans here, are now personally and clearly on the receiving end from a goaded, undisciplined individual.

These people are in every walk of life and are there to be shot at and are sometimes found wanting.

It's being human and losing control happens to us all at sometime - virtually without exception. Whatever responsibility you carry.

I think we can all rest easy it will now be suitably dealt with.

23 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

I find it incredibly sad that this is how the world seems to be these days.

Why on earth do people think going round videoing people in their place of work after most likely treating them with disrespect is ok? Not only that, but then posting it all over the internet to shame them or embarrass them.

People seem to think that just because someone is at work, they can talk to them how they like and treat them like shit without any consequence whatsoever.

I wonder how this bloke would react if someone started calling him a dick head at his place of work, then filmed his reaction and posted it online? I imagine he wouldn't be too pleased at all.

It's a sad sad world we live in when getting your phone out and posting it online is the first port of call.

I don't doubt that the fans in question were looking for a reaction and catch it on film or that the one posting it on Twitter is a bit of a knob.  I don't really see how that excuses the steward's behaviour though.  If I was verbally abused in my job (in my younger days in customer services, I was a few times) I know I can't retaliate.  And that's in a working environment where it's not really to be expected.  Stewarding away fans, it's standard stuff surely?

I'm not going to call for the guy to be sacked but, if the club wants to demonstrate that it has zero tolerance on homophobia, he will be and he won't really have anyone to blame but himself.

24 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I don't doubt that the fans in question were looking for a reaction and catch it on film or that the one posting it on Twitter is a bit of a knob.  I don't really see how that excuses the steward's behaviour though.  If I was verbally abused in my job (in my younger days in customer services, I was a few times) I know I can't retaliate.  And that's in a working environment where it's not really to be expected.  Stewarding away fans, it's standard stuff surely?

I'm not going to call for the guy to be sacked but, if the club wants to demonstrate that it has zero tolerance on homophobia, he will be and he won't really have anyone to blame but himself.

My post wasn't so much to defend the steward but more to just flip a different spin on the topic and have a little rant about something that gets on my nerves.

I also don't think bringing homophobes into it is fair. I've heard many people use the word 'faggot' and have never thought to myself "he's homophobic, him!". It's just a generally abusive word, like 'cunt' for example. I don't feel offended for the bundle of sticks bound together as fuel....or the little fatty pork balls.

It's only offensive in an homophobic way if that's how you choose to take it over any other meaning.